Wiring question for a 250V 50a
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Wiring question for a 250V 50a

So I have a few questions:
    1) my current wiring is 30a, I am assuming that the welder won't perform very well at all with just 30 amps, also the plug is different so I would have to make an extension cord. Is this correct thinking?

2) If I, or an electrician, were to wire an new outlet for me, can it be 12 feet from the box? 100 feet?(also for the 100' run, I am assuming that I will be able to find conduit that will fit both the 250V and a 125V wire with enough size not to lose too much power)

3)Should I wire this outlet for a 50a breaker, or something higher, this isn't my house I am a renter, but I am curious.

4) Are there outdoor boxes that are really able to be outside completely exposed for 24/7/365?

Thanks!

Re: Wiring question for a 250V 50a

What welder are you talking about?
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

1. Either make a patch/extension cord or just clip the plug on the cord you have now and buy a new replacement plug to fit the receptacle. There are compromises here...you either will find a new replacement end cheaper than buying cable and a replacement plug AND receptacle or you were thinking you needed an extension cord anyway or the receptacle at the rental really isn't optimum for your needs/want/aspirations, or just buy and install a new receptacle keeping the old one to re-install if/when you move.

2. Distance is unimportant except for wire gauge sizing and the expense. Conduit shouldn't be any problem at all. I don't have my guide right at the moment, but if you are using wire instead of Romax or cable a 3/4" conduit will work.

3. You didn't mention your welder model, so it would be a guess. Remember that the larger the amp load the thicker/more expensive the wire/cable/Romax. Actually, depending on what you have, you may be served quite adequately with your present wiring and receptacle.

4. Sure. Don't buy the cheapest one you can find. Get a model, most any of them, that has a good cover...while they are a pain in the rear to open and close, a screw-on receptacle cap will probably give you the best seal. Seal ALL the openings, except for the receptacle cover, with silicone sealant even though they may already have screw thread plugs. If you are still feeling vulnerable, grab either a thick mil shopping bag and bungie it over the receptacle box or get a food service gallon plastic storage jar from one of your local restaurants and cut the top off before capping the box with that.

Good luck on the job.
    Lincoln PowerTig 275
    Miller 251
    Miller DialArc 250
    Bridgeport mill
    Hossfeld bender with dies
    Logan shaper
    Jet 14 X 40 lathe
    South Bend 9 model 'C'...sometimes a 'B'
    Hypertherm 900
    Ellis 3000 band saw
    Too small a shop...too many tools

The welder is a "chicago electric" aka harbor Freight 170. It is just a starter, I would want something at least the size of a millermatic 211. Says it needs a 50a circuit, I am assuming that if I make an extension cord, even a short one that has a male plug to go into the dryer outlet, and a female 6-50 that I would want the wiring to be at least as thick as the factory cord.
    Last edited by SteelMohawk; 10-04-2012 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMohawk View Post
    The welder is a "chicago electric" aka harbor Freight 170. It is just a starter, I would want something at least the size of a millermatic 211. Says it needs a 50a circuit, I am assuming that if I make an extension cord, even a short one that has a male plug to go into the dryer outlet, and a female 6-50 that I would want the wiring to be at least as thick as the factory cord.
    That thing will run on the 30amp you have.

factory cord probably has 12g wiring inside it.

easiest thing to do is make an extension cord with a 6-50 female and a matching Dryer Plug on the other end.

Done all the time.

This one?
    http://www.harborfreight.com/welding...mps-68885.html
    Last edited by Broccoli1; 10-04-2012 at 05:07 PM.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    TA 185
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

That's the one, going to make an extension cord to plug into my dryer outlet, then Wait and see what happens with my welding and my living situation. thanks for the advice.

Yup that machine doesnt require 50amp, it just comes with a plug rated for 50amps.
    Specs state 20amps at rated output of 110 amps
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    TA 185
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Yep, they just stick a 50 amp plug on there because that's what the "standard" welder outlet is.
    You didn't build that.

'85 Miller AEAD-200LE