Miller CP250TS, DC/CV MIG welder, in CA
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Miller CP250TS, DC/CV MIG welder, in CA

I have an older model Miller CP250TS constant voltage DC MIG welding power source available here in southern California if anyone needs one.

The machine is in good working condition and has a nice set of running gear under it, with a dual bottle rack too. We use to weld with it every day at my job but since we upgraded to newer machines, this one has just been sitting there unused. I bought it for the feeder and torch that were attatched to it, but I have no use for the power source since it runs only on 3-phase and I dont have 3-phase power available at my house. It welds smooth and has plenty of voltage for spray-arc and dials down low for thin stuff too. There is a 115 volt output on the front panel for powering a feeder. The power adjusts continuously with a rheostat, which is real nice for fine tuning the arc. It also has analog volt and amp meters. It's a nice older machine, a bit large and heavy, but a good workhorse. The machine is currently wired for 460v 3ph. If I'm not mistaken, it can be run on 230v 3ph too.

I wish I had the power to run it, I'd keep it for myself, but, I dont, so.. if any of you here on the forum have a need for it and can come pick it up in north San Diego county, it's yours for only $100.

Please call or email me if you're interested!

desertrider33@yahoo.com
    760-930-9470, ask for Glen.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Re: Miller CP250TS, DC/CV MIG welder, in CA

That machine, as far as I'm conserned, is the best power supply ever mfg. for mig welding. Do you know what the TS stands for, if you did you would find some way to use it. There was a post today about spool guns and spray arc being to hot for 14 ga. aluminum,with this machine, you can change the volt amp curve and short arc aluminum at very low currents.(8 volts - 35 Amps). John G.
    SMAW,GMAW,FCAW,GTAW,SAW,PAC/PAW/OFC
    and Shielding Gases. There all here.

:

Hi John, thanks for your info about the welder . You're right, I don't know what the TS stands for, but I wouldn't mind finding out!

We used it primarily to spray-arc 16 ga aluminum extrusions. I have short-arc'd with it too. We used it sucessfully both with and without pulse, with a push-pull feed system. Yes it does dial down pretty low. I liked welding with it. If I had 3-phase power here (and a little more space in the garage for it), I would likely not be selling the machine. Unfortunately, only have single phase here.

I'm not certain how the adjustment to the volt-amp curve is made on this machine. Is it done inside the machine? I forget the name of the adjustment for soft/crisp arc on a MIG welder, but I remember some of the old Linde machines had a dial adjustment for it right on the front of the machine. The name for it just slips my mind right now. I wish more of todays machines had that adjustment. We have it on our new Millermatic 350P's. I don't think any of the lower-level Millermatics have it, except for my new Passport, which simply has a 2-position switch on the panel for soft or crisp arc.

Thanks for your interest in the machine!
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Desert, you were up late last night. I worked for Linde and sold many of the machines you remember. The dials on the front of the machines were: Slope, Volts and Inductance. The TS on the Miller is Tap Slope and is changed by opening the cover on the side of the machine and there are 3 sets of resisters and there are 7 settings on each. From "0" to "12" turns of Slope settings. The 12 setting will limit the output amperage allowed, letting you short arc with .030 Aluminum. and the 0 setting has no resistance and allows the machine to spray with max amperge of the machine and is the best setting if Spray arc with .045 Steel or stainless. With out knowing the advantages of slope and how to change it, I am supprised you still liked the machine as much as you did, and I love to explain these things, but sometimes, I do not explain enough in detail, because of trying to do to much and to fast. Thanks for wanting to know and me trying to explain. John G.
    Last edited by weldgault; 12-08-2007 at 12:02 PM.
    SMAW,GMAW,FCAW,GTAW,SAW,PAC/PAW/OFC
    and Shielding Gases. There all here.

:

John, I appreciate the explanation, thank you!

We had 4 of these machines, once upon a time. The other 3 were sold off for peanuts a couple years ago, about a year after we upgraded to Millermatic 350P's. They sat around the shop for awhile untill the manager decided it was time for them to go. I was sad to see them go, even though I do like the new 350P's alot. This is the last one of the old 'battletanks'. I assume they were originally set up some 20 to 25 years ago by our old weld supervisor, who no longer works there, for the specific welds we make to our product. The extrusion shapes and thicknesses and weld joints we use have not changed much for many years. He must have done a great job setting up the slope adjustment on those machines cause we never had any reason to try to change them and I dont think any of us were even aware they could be changed! Now I know . Too bad I no longer have a reason to fool around with it .

In the last couple years we used this machine, we were using it to do simple repair work to broken shop equipment, etc, in steel. The machine worked fine for that with whatever slope settings it still had for the aluminum production it was originally intended for. It was in production where those old machines really sang. Too bad I dont have a use for this one...
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

This machine is still available if anyone has a need for it. According to the serial number chart on the Miller website, it is a 1989 model and my company was the original owner of it. It works good, no problems. I would like to keep it but I just don't have any way to use it because of the 3-phase power requirement.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

This machine has been sold, thank you.

I do not know how to delete the ad, maybe the moderators can delete it?
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic