Question about gas tanks..
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Hybrid View

Question about gas tanks..

My friend is selling his industrial sized oxygen tank for oxy acetylene welding. Could i empty the oxygen and put mig shielding gas in it without problems?
    Thanks

Re: Question about gas tanks..

No, there are a lot of problems, just don't try. John Welcome and you have to trust someone.
    SMAW,GMAW,FCAW,GTAW,SAW,PAC/PAW/OFC
    and Shielding Gases. There all here.

:

Quote Originally Posted by NSXTACY
    My friend is selling his industrial sized oxygen tank for oxy acetylene welding. Could i empty the oxygen and put mig shielding gas in it without problems?
    Thanks
    Amen to what weldgault sez about lot's of problems, he's quite correct.

Including:
    -first thing you'll need to do is pull vacuum in the bottle, purge, pull vacuum, purge, etc.--to eliminate excess O2.

-if and when your gas supplier realizes that you've turned in for re-fill---an O2 bottle that now has shielding gas in it---they're going to talk to you. Gas fill plants are really anal about only filling bottles with more of the same....not mixing gases, etc.

-designing and constructing your own--hi pressure, trans-filling, purging hookup system.
    (Yours truly, has such a thing, for his own use. Filling smaller, owned, mig gas bottles from a much larger, rental, mig gas bottle.
    --Creating and using my trans-fill system; requires a lettle thought, planning, $, and care. It's not an item that I'll release the design of, for general public consumption.)
    Last edited by dave powelson; 12-12-2007 at 09:47 PM.
    Blackbird

Fat Bastard for President-2016

Never put what goes in certian pressure vessels in substuted pressure vessels..
    The concequences can be severe...

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Most large cylinders are not customer owned and when you return a cylinder that is not yours, they will keep it, also the valve has to be changed from CGA 540 to CGA 580. I also refill O2, N2, and C-25 40 cuft cylinders and that can be very dangerous if you get the cylinder yur filling gets to hot. It could explode. Don't even try. Dave is correct about everthing else. John
    SMAW,GMAW,FCAW,GTAW,SAW,PAC/PAW/OFC
    and Shielding Gases. There all here.

:

not only can you not do it. you will not find anyone who will even attempt it

Above posters who say it can't be done are correct. Get the right cylinders for the proper gases and forget about everything else. You'll be glad you did.
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Miller Millermatic 252
    Liincoln AC-DC 225
    Victor O-A Set
    High Hopes