Connecting Miller XR to Miller XMT 300 cc/cv
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Connecting Miller XR to Miller XMT 300 cc/cv

I have a Miller XMT 300 cc/cv. I have used it for stick welding and a feable attempt to tig (I am not a welder, I just like to tinker in my shed/shop. I recently acquired a Miller XR with the XR-15a push pull gun that I want to connect to the XMT. The 14 pin plug from the XR is only using 4 pins, J and I for 115 volts, K for chassis ground and G for 115 volt contactor control. The XR will power on and will advance the wire but I am getting no weld. I think it is in the contactor close circuit but in reality I don't have a clue. I spoke with Jason at Miller and he was very helpfull in sending me the wiring schematic for that machine. I also have a XR-A which is a little newer but has no gun, cables or drive roller. I can take everything off the XR and put on the XR-A but I think the XR is an easy fix, maybe it is as easy as a jumper on T2 terminal strip. Any suggestions.

Re: Connecting Miller XR to Miller XMT 300 cc/cv

I would start by checking if the machine has output voltage at the welding connectors, then at the contacter in the xr cabinet, then test if the contacter is operational, then see if it is getting proper signal.
    Dynasty 200DX
    Passport plus w/ spoolmate 100
    victor 315c oxy/(act and prop)
    Miller digital elite
    milwaukee power tools

Thanks Turk
    I have 115 at the fuse in the XR. I will have to trace the schematic to see where the contactor is in the XR and check for voltage there. I am not using the voldage sensor lead that would connect to the workpiece and I have the jumper plug set to internal on the motor speed control board.
    Does the XR only require 4 pins of the 14 pin connector to be used. One diagram that I have shows Pin A and Pin B to have 24 volts but the diagram that Jason from Miller sent me does not show Pins A and B being used.

You need to short either A to B or I to J to make the welder turn on.
    A to G is the 24 VAC supply. I to G is the 115 VAC supply. K is safety chassis ground.
    First check your XR control and see if it is a 115 volt or 24 volt model.
    The 115 volt model will use I, J.G & K.
    Thee 24 Volt model will use A,B,G & K .
    Remote voltage control adds C,D and E.
    These PINs are standard on most miller welders.
    Check the wiring diagram for your control Some can be set for contact close or 115 volts out.
    This will determine how the control cable is wired.
    Post the serial number of your control So I can see what version your have.
    Last edited by ccawgc; 10-19-2012 at 03:15 AM.

Thanks ccawgc. I will have to follow up with the serial numbers. I have a XR (1988) and a XR A (1993)
    model. I am trying the XR. It uses pins I J G & K.

If you open the side panel of the XMT cabinet there is a coupler to use for a 115v closing or contact closing you shoudl set your for 115v feed back.

Thanks weldbay. Not sure where the coupler is or what it looks like. Any guidance?

There is a socket type PC plug just inside where the AC inters the Cabinet, and also on the inside cover of the Mach is a Schematic that shows the splice. Your plug is wired for 115 feedback to the Power supply, the only other thing you might look at is I believe the G wire is supposed to be the Neutral/Common but double check your Schematic. The white plastic plug has a wire that shorts the plugs 2 terminals.

This may be a stupid question but did you hook the welding cable from the power supply to the wire feeder? The welding current does not pass through the 14 pin connector.

Did you set the welder control to the MIG setting.

Do not want to offend you but I read nothing about making sure the leads were hooked up right.

Dan

This is only on the 32P wire feeder it is like an LN25, the Xr gets 110 from the PS and feeds 110 back to close the contactor that is why it has a 14 pin plug. Or did I miss something.

Just in case make sure that the toggle switches are both on the 14 pin position for remote contactor and remote A/V.

Yes I did have the ground lead from the PS to the work piece. the Pos. lead hooks internally in the XR and goes to the gun. On the 14 pin connector coming into the XR, the "I" pin goes to the power switch. The "J" lead goes to lead 38 then to terminal "D" on terminal T-2, the "G" lead goes to terminal "E" on terminal T-2 and lead "K" goes to chassis ground. I can check the voltage on terminals "D" & "E".

Forget the ground lead it is not used. G is your common that is shared by the wf and the ps. When you pull the trigger J completes to G and the 110 circuit for the contactor. If you do not get 110 between J and G with the trigger pulled you have no weld. If you do have the 110 and the mach does still not close,
    Take the 14 pin apart at the PS end back off the wire clamp so you can reach the terminals when it is pluged into the XMT, when you pull the trigger J and G should read 110 if not you have a brokene lead or a terminal disconnect.

correction for toggle swicthes remote contactor on 14 side remote voltage on Panel, sorry had a brain short.
    Last edited by weldbay; 10-29-2012 at 11:28 PM.

Okay weldbay. No voltage between J and G. I unpluged the gun and checked between d and g and had continuity. since the gun was set up on a robotic arm in its previous life, I think they disabled the contact circuit from the gun. or I have an open inside the xr

I have no voltage between J and G inside the XR. What next?

It appears the PC1 board may have been bad. I swithced From the XR to the XR-A that I had as a parts machine and it worked good until I allowed it to weld to the contact tube. Now the gun motor doesn't work (Yes I cleaned the weld off and freed up the contact tube). Dont know if I blew a board or if it is a fuse and if it is a fuse, where is it located. The schematic shows a 3 amp fuse on PC1 but I do not see one.

Check your gun wiring. Make sure none of them are shorted to the weld circuit.
    If any of the motor or trigger wires are shorted to the weld circuit it will blow the pcb.
    The gun will operate with the weld circuit disconnected but soon as you connect it and try to weld.
    The pcb dies. A shorted motor can kill the pcb. It has low ohms but not 0.
    If this unit was mounted on a robot. The wiring may have been changed.
    So check the diagram inside the case or down load the owner manual from miller.
    Trace out all wires buy the diagram. what you may learn here may lead you wrong.
    The miller 14 pin plug has a standard connection diagram. It is shown in all manuals for welders that use them. Read the book. If you need help under standing the book. You can call miller.
    Or ask back here.

Thanks ccawgc
    Have a gut feeling it blew the pcb. I would have thought the fuse would have protected it better. I have the check points from Miller. I will check it over the weekend.

Color me stupid. I was checking the gun again last night, checked the pull motor in the gun with a 9 volt battery and it worked as it should. Put it all back together tried it and it still did not work so I figured it must be the pcb then the little voice in me said check the run in speed control on the XR. I had set it to zero, turned it back up, low and behold it works like a charm. Now with some fine tuning I should have a decent setup. Lesson learned - check the obvious first. Duh