cast aluminum
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: cast aluminum

cast aluminum

there is a cast aluminum bracket on my truck that holds the power steering pump on and it is broken.

how hard is it to weld cast aluminum? and will it hold?

G3
    miller... 225g, s32p, 250x, 304, 12vs, MSW41
    victor o/a
    thermal dynamics cutmaster 50
    lenco panel spotter
    hobart hf-box

G3 Farms.....raising cattle, hay, kids and hell, ...oh yeah I'm a fire sprinkler contractor by trade.

Re: cast aluminum

Not hard at all if you take your time, prep it properly and clean it.

Again, if the above is adhered to, it will hold forever.

Reference this post: http://www.weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=12795
    John
    - fabricator extraordinaire, car nut!
    - bleeding Miller blue!

http://www.weldfabzone.com

Yes you can. Clean it thoroughly. Don't use abrasives with aluminum oxide in them.

A trick I learned here is to go over the piece with the torch and no filler. This will float some of the crap to the top so you can clean it again. It also preheats the piece.

Here is a golf cart clutch

http://www.weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=15798
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

Quote Originally Posted by G3farms
    there is a cast aluminum bracket on my truck that holds the power steering pump on and it is broken.

how hard is it to weld cast aluminum? and will it hold?

G3
    1-What the previous posters have said is correct as far as prep and weld procedure.

2-Cast aluminum--especially highly stressed parts like yours, often need gussetting, strong-backing and reinforcement, in addition to full pen. welding. Most production aluminum castings have continuous internal porosity (due to the casting methods used)--which makes them inherently weak.
    A full-pen. weld on a porous alum. casting is simply a stress-riser point, where it can break-again. Adding reinforcements as mentioned, helps make this repair, a one-time, bullet-proof deal.
    Many production alum. castings are filthy inside, with all kinds of contamination from the casting process using re-cyled---whatever! This also implies the use of reinforcements to spread the load over a greater area.

3-Fixturing the part, checking and setting correct alignment (squareness, parallel, hole alignment, mounting hole spacing to fit the engine mounting, etc.).....is just as demanding as the welding itself--if not more so...IF, if one wishes to create a repaired bracket that is aligned and tough to break again.
    Fitting the cracks together, is a guarantee, that the welded repair is not going to fit properly. 'Why?'--before something breaks.....it bends.....then it breaks.
    This is why one needs to fixture and check alignment, a bunch of ways, prior to welding; then check again to see if the welding has pulled it back out of alignment.

4-On any belt driven bracket that has broken, it broke for one or several reasons. I insist that the customer have alignment of the other drive pulleys, checked with a straight edge, etc. All of the pulleys have to be in line with each other. Newer vehicles use really flimsy, stand-off bracketing, brackets, etc.--which will bend and distort, especially if a serpentine belt has broken. Many, many old and new vehicles--as setup from the factory, or screwed up by 'mechanics'--do not have the pulleys in line with each other.
    Blackbird

Fat Bastard for President-2016

Very good points Dave, thanks for the addition.
    John
    - fabricator extraordinaire, car nut!
    - bleeding Miller blue!

http://www.weldfabzone.com

thanks for all of the advice. now i just need a tig welder and experience.

thought about taking it to a welding shop to see what they could do with it.

G3
    victor o/a
    lenco panel spotter
    hobart hf-box

G3 Farms.....raising cattle, hay, kids and hell, ...oh yeah I'm a fire sprinkler contractor by trade.

anybody around the west knoxville area that could help a fella out???

make it worth your while!!

engloid??

G3
    victor o/a
    lenco panel spotter
    hobart hf-box