info about pipeline welders
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

info about pipeline welders

I am heading to the pipeline the first of the year, i currently own a miller bobcat225 nt, and i need to know if this machine could be used on a pipeline.
    if someone could answer this question, i would greatly appreciate it, if not, do you know where i could find the answers??
    james

Re: info about pipeline welders

i'm not a pipeline welder, wish i was! nor an expert on what machine you would need, but i think that the bobcat 225 nt would be a good machine to get started with until you can upgrade. the only thing that might be a problem is (if i remember correctly) it has a small fuel tank. don't know how long it will run on a full tank. where are you heading if i may ask

You do not want to run your Bobcat, or any other 2cyl air cooled rig all day everyday running fast and hot. I have a Trailblazer on the truck most of the time(misc bull**** work), if I get a pipe job, off it comes and on goes the old grey mule.
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

I guess the other questions to be asked are, how many hours are on your current welder? Reason for asking, if it's new enough to be used as a trade in or not.

I think were it me, I'd run it's legs off and replace it when it dies. In other words, you already own it, may as well get your money out of it. The small fuel tank can be remedied with a propane conversion kit.

Just my $.02

I'm not a pipeliner but don't most pipeline jobs require a diesel powered unit that will run all day without refueling? Maybe not, that's just what I've heard. You're underpowered for some pipeline jobs.

I do alot of gas distribution tie ins with pipeline contractors and welders.About 99% lincoln, sa 200 and 250's mostly.Once in awhile you see a ranger or bobcat.I don't know how big of pipe your going to do. But like the guys say you may be able to do okay and go larger later if you stay in it.
    pro-level dumpster diver Hobart 125EZ

Penetration31,

I'm not a pipeliner, so take my comments for what they're worth.

If you have to ask what type machine you need to do the work, you're not ready to pick up stakes and head in that direction.

From everything I've read on the boards, pipeliners are a breed in themselves (tough to crack). Think you'd most likely get laughed off the site with a Bobcat 225.

Probably more pipeliners over on the Miller board. You may want to post your question there. I'm sure you'll get some meaningful info.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.

http://www.millermotorsports.com/mbo...ead.php?t=9173

Try this link. It gets pretty interesting. Pay attention to JTs posts. He's the guy who knows. JT may be a little rough around the edges but If he posts its because he knows, unlike a lot of people that post things they hear. No B.S. with him.

I am a pipeliner and I'll be honest with you. If you came to a job I'm on you would be laughed right off the job by the welders and the super. You want to look for a decent SA 200. They are very dependable and easy to work on. That's all I've ever ran and so does 90% of all the rest of pipeliners. If you look around you can find them for around 1500.00. I will also agree with SundownIII, if you are asking this question I really don't think your ready to go pipelining. Do you have any idea what type of equipment or tools you will need? This is just a Pipeliner's .02

Ditto, on what was just said. here ,in S F bay area ,in the refineries , you don't get in , as a PIPE welder unless you have a LINCOLN D C welder ,like an SA200, SA250 ,SA300 ,etc. I agree a SA200 is maybe best way to start(cheapest) then, if gasoline cost gets to you, go to like an S A 250 diesel. I have an sa200 , and a sa250. the sa200 uses 12 gallons gas in 8 hours. the sa250 diesel will use 5 gallons in 11 hours . easy to figure THAT out ...........Just something to think about , eventually .
    [SIZE="5
    "Yardbird"

i pipe lined for like 6months after i graduated high school and i loved it! Its was excellent practice and you really learn how to work steady and do high quality work! It was a pain in the butt though because i was so young that all the older guys liked to make fun of me but i stayed with it and eventually earned alot of their respect and even got one of them to teach me a little about runnign stainless. When i started though i had my Miller 44D and out of a crew of 9 welder only 2 had somthing besides a lincoln SA200 aka "miller Killer" but one of the best welders with us had a pipe pro 304 and thats where my obsession came in on the pipe pro! Pipeliners really are their own breed kinda like cowboys but i grew up on a ranch and farm in west texas so i kinda fit in from the start but they still all have their own little ways about stuff. Ya most definentaly though you really should get a redface or a bigass miller because that dinky 225 will probably not last more than maybe 1000hrs of solid pipelining. Just my 2 cents but trust me you probably wond get the job in you dont have 2 peices of equipment and im so dead serious on this.

1. Big truck and a lincoln SA200
    2. Pancake hood (if you think im kidding just wait and see)

Goodluck man
    2001 dodge 3500 with custom bed, 1995 miller 44dlx welder and all the equipment any welder needs! Soon to come a Miller pipe pro 304 with a 12rc feeder!

1979 Sa-200 For Sale (530)870-7607 Don
    1979 LINCOLN SA-200 (FOR SALE)
    1954 LINCOLN SA-200
    MILLERMATIC 200
    LINCOLN 250 TIG
    LONGEVITY 60 I
    PREMIER POWER WELDER ON 4X4BRONCO
    VICTOR WRENCH

i would go with the miller pipe pro. i have one on my truck now and that thing is great.

The only thing I know is Miller is trying to break into the pipeline welders market. Tradition dies hard so it's a tough nut to crack.
    Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
    Millermatic Challenger 172
    VictorO/A
    Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
    Esab PCM-875
    Wholesalem Tool Mill-Drill

they are all right you will get laughed off the site back in the days of the alaskin pipeline they would not even let you set foot on the site unless you had a lincoln no joke a SA-200 is the way to go im getting ready to buy my first one myself i used to have a bobcat 250 but all i did was very light duty stuff like field repairs on hand rails and things like that my opinion is lincoln is the best field machine and miller is better in the shop miller just cant cut it out in the field no matter what ya got but this is just coming from a 16 yr vet ... good luck bud

Don't under rate the little red wonders guys especially if you haven't used one. My dad never used anything but SA-200's (not a pipeliner, but the best around on high pressure gas) until he bought his Ranger 250. After a couple of months I asked him how he liked it. His response was it's the weldingest sob I ever used. In pipe mode it welds just like an SA 200. I have done the pipeline thing, but got tired of it. It's a young mans job. Needless to say I learned to weld with an SA-200. The first welder I bought was an Eagle 10,000. 210 amps 100% duty cycle. I have run 5/32 7024 with it all day long rod after rod and all it does is bellow like a loaded SA-200. Welds just like it too. I wouldn't give you a nickel for a Miller engine drive with the exception of the Trailblazer DC, and yes I have used the 400 amp monsters. I tried to toast that TB and it just kept going.

Key statement is this: if you have to ask you aren't ready. Hire on as a helper and learn the ropes. If you can actually weld to their standard already they will have you on your own rig within six months. I will warn you, they are a rough crowd, and mess with the new guy is just a way of life for them. They all went through it too. I wasn't much fun for them because I grew up in Mobil Oils Buckeye, NM yard and already knew all of their tricks before most of them had learned them.
    The difference between art and craft is the quality of the workmanship. I am an artist.

there may be machines as good or better than the 200's....but most of the guys still use them, so in my opinion it is still the one (at this time) to have on the job...you break down in the middle of a swamp 80 miles from town, chances are someone in the field has a part for you

and in my area you can still find the old grey brutes for cheap!

The pipeline, gas plant, and oilfield welding trade was built on the back of the SA 200. The first SA 200 I ran for a contractor would burn 4 quarts of oil in a hard 10 hr. day. It welded just like the new one I got about a year later. The only only difference was I got a little break four times a day to stop and pour in a quart of oil. It was also the one we used to start all the other machines in the morning when it was really cold. I was called the hippy welder because the boss's daughter stuck big flower decals all over it.

I remember that one, man that was a while ago. Flower power decals all over it. Kind of an off white color too if I remember correctly (I was little bitty back then). The sa-200 I hauled around at Custom was 25 years old when I started using it. It had never been overhauled, used no oil, had to heat the mag with a torch every time it rained (boy I would hate that thing down here) to get it to start. It would also run 3/16 Jet and that stuff would cause most of the Classic I's and II's we had to die. They are tough as a boot, but still only rated at a 60% duty cycle. I have done the pipeline thing and this Ranger 305 is just loafing where they predominately run at (runs 5p+ better than anything I have ever used) and frequently works a lot harder. It doesn't even get a break to move to the next weld. Pipeliners aren't the only ones who do some serious welding. I frequently run rod after rod all day long with 5/32 or with my feeder at 180 to 200 amps only stopping to move a couple of feet and right back at it. I went to using 25lb spools of wire because I couldn't get through a day without having to shut down and change spools. Flux cored wire is moving into the pipelines more and more every day and unfortunately the sa-200 can't be used for that.

In order to stay in the business quite a few will be dragged into the twentyfirst century kicking and screaming. It's kind of like using atom arc and lh-70 with excalibur available. If they ever tried it that is all they would want. Very easy to use electrode. I would not use a bobcat on the pipeline or for any other code work for that matter, but a Trailblazer DC is a totally different story. Until I used it I was thoroughly convinced that Miller built damn good generators and really crappy welders. It didn't impress me enough to buy one for myself though.

I replace my machines every five years whether they are worn out or not. It's a tax thing. I'd rather spend money than give it to uncle.
    Last edited by Jolly Roger; 02-16-2008 at 11:26 PM. Reason: left something out
    The difference between art and craft is the quality of the workmanship. I am an artist.

Quote Originally Posted by penetration31 View Post
    I am heading to the pipeline the first of the year, i currently own a miller bobcat225 nt, and i need to know if this machine could be used on a pipeline.
    if someone could answer this question, i would greatly appreciate it, if not, do you know where i could find the answers??
    james

You can head to the pipeline, but with that machine, no one will test you.
    It's a matter of having the proper tools for the job and that's certainly not the tool for mainline construction.

Keep in mind that there is more missinformation and more phoney internet experts on this site than any welding forum I've ever seen, so read what's posted here with a very large grain of salt.

JTMcC.

[QUOTE=Jolly Roger;164941 Flux cored wire is moving into the pipelines more and more every day and unfortunately the sa-200 can't be used for that. [/QUOTE]

HUH????

There is one heck of a lot of red iron hanging in the air, from Frisco to Diego, that will be awfully surprised to hear that........

Hey Tek, the last half of JTs post kinda sums it up!

Roger that......

Quote Originally Posted by JTMcC View Post
    Keep in mind that there is more missinformation and more phoney internet experts on this site than any welding forum I've ever seen, so read what's posted here with a very large grain of salt.

JTMcC.
    There are phonies here ?
    Anything worth doing is worth doing RIGHT

Quote Originally Posted by TEK View Post
    HUH????

There is one heck of a lot of red iron hanging in the air, from Frisco to Diego, that will be awfully surprised to hear that........
    Well of course you can run flux core wire with an SA-200. Flux core is being used in mainline construction, for tie ins on automatic jobs, but it's a very small segment of the industry.

And the 200 Lincolns will run the wires in use right now, they are operating close to their upper range but they'll do it.
    The pure dc output of the Lincoln generators run the flux core and dual shield wires better than any other power source.

Rated output and duty cycle numbers on Lincoln engine driven generators is very conservative. Decent old 200's will max out at over 400 amps on a load bank, I've seen old SAM 400's put out well over 600 amps.
    You can't take the literature, and compare the numbers between a rectified ac machine and a true dc generator. For example a friend of mine has both a Commander 500 and an Airvantage 500 on his (large) truck. Both machines are rated at 100% duty cycle at max output of 500 amps. The old SAM 400 that came off the truck put out more top end (carbon arc gouging) and would do it all day long. On paper both of the chopper machines far outperform the old 400 but out in the mud and the blood neither one is the horse the old school generator is.

So basically I'm agreeing with TEK here.

JTMcC.