How to diagnose faulty oxy acetylene regulators
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

How to diagnose faulty oxy acetylene regulators

I have just bought a used Henrob welding torch, a used oxygen regulator and a brand new acetylene regulator. I tried to use the equipment today but could not finish the job because the equipment appears to be malfunctioning.

When I light the torch I adjust the flame to the desired shape but after a few minutes the amount of oxygen appears to increase and within a short time the flame goes out with a loud pop. This is the first time I have used a Henrob and it is not easy to use the torch as it only requires 4 psi of pressure which is not enough to register accurately on the gauges.

The way I see it either the acetylene regulator is not supplying a constant supply of acetylene or the oxygen regulator is not supplying a constant stream of oxygen.

Can any person suggest a way that I could test the regulators or diagnose the problem I am experiencing.

Re: How to diagnose faulty oxy acetylene regulators

It sounds like you have a pressure leak. This typically causes your gas pressure to gradually creep upwards. If this is the case, turning you oxygen off at the torch could lead to a popped hose...but, you might use this (in a short period) to look for pressure increases. Here is a general set of instructions to check for pressure creep.

http://www.scottecatalog.com/DSGuide...0?OpenDocument

Or, you might simply be using the regulator in a range of PSI that it's not designed to function at accurately. I have never used one of the henrobs, but some folks here have...I wonder if there is any way to adapt a precision medical regulator to the task?
    Smithboy...
    if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'.

Thanks Smithboy for your response.

I tried the test described in the link you supplied where you have the gauges reading around 40 psi and then turn the gas off at the bottle. With both oxygen and acetylene the readings on the gauges gradually reduced to zero.

Today I tried increasing the pressure of the acetylene supply and had much more success as the acetylene control seems to be steadier at the higher pressure.

I am now of the view there is nothing wrong with my oxygen regulator.

Quote Originally Posted by kiamaian
    Thanks Smithboy for your response.

I tried the test described in the link you supplied where you have the gauges reading around 40 psi and then turn the gas off at the bottle. With both oxygen and acetylene the readings on the gauges gradually reduced to zero.

Today I tried increasing the pressure of the acetylene supply and had much more success as the acetylene control seems to be steadier at the higher pressure.

I am now of the view there is nothing wrong with my oxygen regulator.
    Hope you are not running more than 15 psi on the acetylene!! VERY DANGEROUS!!! lots of info has been posted on this subject in the safety forum. Most torches that I've used work well at 4-6 Psi acetylene.

Are you sure you are not bumping the ajustment valves when you are using the torch. Some torch ajustments turn super easy and with big welding gloves you can't even feel it move if you bump it. It can be ajusted tighter by tighening up the seat on the valve.
    --Gol'