lincwelder 225
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: lincwelder 225

lincwelder 225

Hi all, I just picked up an old 225 with an onan motor. The fellow I got it from was monkeying around with the vacuum advance and the carb adjustments. I was hoping someone could steer me in the right direction as to the proper settings as well as any info on rebuilding the onan motor. Thanks, Stan

Re: lincwelder 225

There's a no vacuum advance on that but there IS a vacuum operated idle control. I had one and loved it. This is the one with two batteries? Those are real easy on the engine when starting, leave the ignition off and roll it over until it shows oil pressure then cut the ignition on. Mine would start reliably in well below zero conditions. Somewhere around here I have a manual. No idea on rebuilding the Onan other than it tends to be a pricey project.

Yes 2 batteries and a vacuum idler. It starts and all but needs hoses and wires and odds and ends.I figure since I have it tore down.....I'll put a little money in it.

I think there is an advance on that model. If so, it is on the end of camshaft and the flyweights on end opposite cam gear require a different kind of 'freeze plug' - it extends out from block about 3/8". Your engine is a CCK Onan and the parts are not that bad. The vacuum idler is almost identical to the R57 on SA200. weldersales

Unless the Onan is fouling plugs or consuming larg quantities of oil, or hammering (loose crankpin to rod fit or excessive wear in cylinder bores. a rebuild isn't necessary. These particular engines are almost bulletproof. The major killer of them is improper servicing. Especially in the bolwing out of a used air filter using high pressure air, effectively blowing holes you can't see through the element. Or worse yet no element at all. If equipped with an oil filter & memory serves me 50 hr on an oil change. If no oil filter equipped 25 hr. I have seen the exhaust valves Wear or settle far enough that after warming up there is no valve lash & they will loose power or completely stall. simply re adjust the valves. If you can lay your hands on a manual it will be covered there. Even the 45.00 or so the shop service manual costs new is a good investment if you intend to keep the machine.

These new overhead valve engines still haven't proved to me they are better. I know they have many more working parts & will be more expensive to renew when a major rebuild becomes necessary.

thanks for the info, guys. Anyone know where to get a service manual for this ccka onan or one for the welder? I thought I saw on lincoln's site an operating manual but I don't believe that wiil help me with settings and adjustments.
    sa 2oo
    heliwelder 300
    ln 25
    airco miget
    miller regency 200 with a feeder
    lincwelder 225
    evolution 9" saw

hrpwelding@msn.com

"H.R.P. = Hoe,Rake, or Plow"

I'm glad some of you guys appreciate the Onan. I like the engines, but have avoided the "Omen", for years. Maybe things are better since the Cummins venture, but it's probably too late to have me back as a customer. I wrote Onan off after a few experiences with their absurdly overpriced service parts, and secretive proprietary "dealer only" service information.

I have seen a bunch of Onan powered equipment that was considered uneconomical to repair. I do still own some Onans, but they have to come in by accident, or very cheap. I deduct value for Onan power, and consider them strictly as expendable.

I'm not knocking anybody's choice, just relating my opinion, that is based on my past experience with ridiculous service policy and prices. Maybe I'm talking about ancient history, and there have been changes, or, possibly now there are alternative sources for parts and service information; If so, I'd be glad to hear about it.
    Last edited by denrep; 01-01-2008 at 05:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by denrep
    I'm glad some of you guys appreciate the Onan. I like the engines, but have avoided the "Omen", for years. Maybe things are better since the Cummins venture, but it's probably too late to have me back as a customer. I wrote Onan off after a few experiences with their absurdly overpriced service parts, and secretive proprietary "dealer only" service information.

I have seen a bunch of Onan powered equipment that was considered uneconomical to repair. I do still own some Onans, but they have to come in by accident, or very cheap. I deduct value for Onan power, and consider them strictly as expendable.

I'm not knocking anybody's choice, just relating my opinion, that is based on my past experience with ridiculous service policy and prices. Maybe I'm talking about ancient history, and there have been changes, or, possibly now there are alternative sources for parts and service information; If so, I'd be glad to hear about it.
    What power equipment I have purchased new, Kohler has always been my choice. Since all the OHV stuff has hit the market & pushed the older heavy iron aside I really don't know. If I were pushed to buy something new I'd probably go Honda if avail.

I avoid the B&S stuff like it has the plague. I guess they may be ok on lawn mowers But all 3 I have owned on a piece of demanding industrial equipment were junk. First one pumped oil from 1 cylinder from new. Finally forced them into shelling out a new short block after it had been in a service center 6 months out of the first year of it's life. The replacement short block broke a rod after 400 hrs. Warranty out by now. Replaced it with a complete new engine I didn't much like the way it was sounding after 300 hr. So I traded the machine in on a new one with Kohler power. 3200 hrs & oil changes later still running like the day new.

I really don't think the Lincoln manual will help you at all with engine service. Probably your best bet for an Onan Service manual is ebay. My local small power equipment dealer will photocopy pages I need once in a while. He isn't an Onan distributor but somehow he has access to it. Might do a google search for engine manuals.

thanks for the input everyone
    sa 2oo
    heliwelder 300
    ln 25
    airco miget
    miller regency 200 with a feeder
    lincwelder 225
    evolution 9" saw

hrpwelding@msn.com

"H.R.P. = Hoe,Rake, or Plow"

gday , ive got a 225dc with a onan motor that im going to restore to original soon , it has a provision for batterys (2 of them ) what batterys do i use for this ie voltage , and also could i get away with using one big one out of a machine?? this motor is currently started with a bit of rope and had heaps of compression and hard to pull start unless warm

I've searched through all my old manuals, and all I could come up with is the owners manual and the machine's wiring diagram. It doesn't tell me what the batterys are, though I rebuilt one about 15 years ago. I believe the batterys are 6 volt each.

The wiring diagrams are starting to get old and brittle, hopefully I can get them copied if you want them. I don't think you'll find them anywhere else.

gday cruizer , if you are able to copy them that would be great ill send you a money order for the cost of them when you need it , , so if there is two 6 volt batterys i should be able to crank it with a large 12 v battery to get it to run?
    thanks again for your help cruizer

Quote Originally Posted by SAMBO-OZ View Post
    gday cruizer , if you are able to copy them that would be great ill send you a money order for the cost of them when you need it , , so if there is two 6 volt batterys i should be able to crank it with a large 12 v battery to get it to run?
    thanks again for your help cruizer
    Don't think so as the starter and generator (charger) is 6 Vdc. You will just smoke them,

You can verify this by the data plate on the generator

These are 12 volt batteries and connected in series. Same as used in Corvair as I recall. There is no separate starter as such, the batteries simply start the engine by passing current through generator. Charging is done through the generator as well. The early Hobart air cooled with Wisconsin engines did the same thing. Don't forget this is a 50 hz machine. Easy to destroy 60 hz motors. weldersales

I think this is your welder:
    http://content.lincolnelectric.com//...r/im/IM244.pdf
    weldersales

gday weldersaes yeh thats the one shown in the lincoln page , so what woul you reccomend for the battery set up ?

Thats right,, though the diagram shows them as being 6 volt, never the less if you have a fax machine handy I'll shoot you the the wiring diagrams for the unit

Early diagrams were aways a little vague on the discriptions, batterys could be 12 Volt. There should be a solinoid in there to start the system after the start button, hopefully it will still have a label on it
    Last edited by Cruizer; 06-04-2008 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruizer View Post
    Thats right,, though the diagram shows them as being 6 volt, never the less if you have a fax machine handy I'll shoot you the the wiring diagrams for the unit

Early diagrams were aways a little vague on the discriptions, batterys could be 12 Volt. There should be a solinoid in there to start the system after the start button, hopefully it will still have a label on it

hey,
    i just bought this welder and i was hoping u still had the wiring diagram. i had to change the solenoid since the last owner took it off and never replaced it. thanks in advance.

distinguished1

I see this post was initiated in 07 but I hope it's still viewed. I just purchased a Lincwelder 225 powered by Onan as well for $500.00. Hopefully I didn't pay too much but it was the cheapest I could find for a running one. I changed the oil (old came out ash gray), plugs and old gas as well as power washing all the old built up oil and it ran as soon as I pushed the start button. When using though I have to set it at highest setting with the fine tuning set at 4-5 to get a good arc. It then tends to loose juice after a few minutes. Can anyone tell me why? I've attached pictures of it (with parts removed for cleaning) just in case it helps in identifying for some reason.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

wow i just baught one of these myself used of course, guy had it for sale for 150 the batterys were toast and the machine has about 5 coats of paint caked on everything i told him 125 as is ,and hauled it away i did get it started with two 12 volt batterys from my truck , and welded with it it actually worked i was going to set up another rig with it but decided not to cause it looks like @#*! and im not sure if its reliable so it just sits there...

$125.00 huh. A lot better deal than mine. Hopefully I'm not looking at an expensive fix on top of the purchase price to get it welding right. I see you're in WA. Me too...Spokane. Where you at?