Need help with wings for Boss Plow straight blade.
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Need help with wings for Boss Plow straight blade.

I'm in the need to come up with a set of wings for my straight blade. I don't plow commercially but I need to help a close friend clear his lot. He does not have the money to pay commercially either. So my idea is to fabricate a set of wings just like the Boss pieces. I'm good with metal fab but what I need help with is dimensions. Is there anyone out there willing to help me out with photos and dimensions.Or even some tracings and send them by mail. Believe me if I was doing this commercially I would buy a set. But I am not...... Or if someone lives close to me(Ortonville,MI) I'd just make a trip to you and get the dimensions myself..
    Please feel free to contact me at my email c.schulz@charter.net

Thanks in advance,Chris

Re: Need help with wings for Boss Plow straight blade.

Here's a link to the manual that has some part break downs and drawings. You know the height of your blade... you should be able to scale off that. Part number: MSC08042B
    http://www.bossplow.com/content/serv.../msc08030b.pdf
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks FORHIRE, After studying the picture and a couple phone calls to Boss I was able to come up with some ideas. Its hard to tell from the pic but the round tube is overkill for these at 2"x1/4"DOM. Cant wait to get some time in the shop to start making templates and cutting steel.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by c.schulz View Post
    Thanks FORHIRE, After studying the picture and a couple phone calls to Boss I was able to come up with some ideas. Its hard to tell from the pic but the round tube is overkill for these at 2"x1/4"DOM. Cant wait to get some time in the shop to start making templates and cutting steel.
    Glad I could help. It's November already... better get busy in the shop before the snow comes. Post some pictures as you progress. A lot of wings are just bolted on... I kinda like the removable wing idea.

One issue to keep in mind with add on wings like this is what will happen when the blade trips. Note that the steel edge is very high on that factory unit, and the soft "scraper" at the bottom will fold when the blade trips. If you make the wind sold and the blade trips, that will put a lot of force on the corner of the plow as that wing tries to dig in. If you do this, I'd look at what you are going to use as the scraper and then work out from there. The scraper needs to be stiff enough to take the weight of the snow, yet give when the blade trips. It might pay to simply buy the factory scrapers and use them and build the wings around them.

I've seen 2 approaches to wings as far as mounting. One idea is to set them up with small bolts. In this set up the bolts act as shear pins if you catch something hard like a curb. The bolts shear and give saving the blade. Looks like Boss took the 2nd approach and set the wing up to transfer the load to a larger heavy structural area of the main blade. Remember that 1 extra foot will really multiply the force when it's way out at the end of the blade. I've seen a lot of guys tear up blades when they thought they could just toss on an extra foot or so to a blade, then caught a water box or curb with the tip. I've split hydraulic angle cylinders wide open down the side on a couple occasions when I hit a buried curb cut just right with the blade angled and the truck in a tight turn the other way.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Thanks for the advice guys. Ill tell ya Ive had this idea to build a set of these for some time. In fact I purchased a set of urethane cutting edges about a year ago. Ill be picking up some tube and steel on monday.

Chris

Well after discussion between me and my friend we have decided to split the cost of a set of wings. Usually they list at $789 for a set. While looking for a couple simple brackets that were cheaper to buy then make a supplier offered a set of wings at the cost of $540. From my figures it would of cost me $400 materials and powder coat. So for an extra $125 its well worth it to purchase.
    So Ive started to design a 2nd set that will hinge and fold to the rear of the blade. These I may be able to make and sell a couple sets. Most plow companies have the power extend or removable wing for road width restrictions. If I can make them hinge its much less effort to just fold instead of removing.
    Tell me what ya think of the concept.....Chris

Last edited by c.schulz; 11-12-2012 at 09:05 AM.