Best inverter welder bang for the buck? - Page 2
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Best inverter welder bang for the buck?

Quote Originally Posted by hog View Post
    Longevity has5yr warranty, no way i would pay 3 times the price for a blue machine with a 2 yr warranty. Google miller maxstar problems, i wouldnt give 100 bucks for one.
    Ok I did what you suggested, and googled "miller maxstar problems". Don't really see any major issues with current machines. The one reoccurring issue is that the Maxstar 150's won't run 6010 well, but then Miller said it wasn't optimized for that rod. Neither are most other small inverter stick machines. What's your point?

To the OP, most you will get out of most 110v capable stick machines is 3/32" rods at best. Most cheap ones won't even do that. Top end units like my Maxstar 200 will run 1/8"rods, but can draw more than 20 amps on 110v power. That sort of defeats the "normal" house hold outlet idea. If you have to wire a 30 amp 110v outlet, why not simply run 230v and get even more output for the same hassle? To get decent output you usually need to run most of these machines on a dedicated 20 amp 110v line to get the most out of them. That's not usually possible however many times. Most household outlets are 15 amp.

You simply won't get decent output out of a machine with 110v input. Yes you can maximize what you can get by spending a lot of money on a top of the line machine like a Maxstar 200 or Dynasty 200, but you still won't really get anywhere near the output you can with those machines on 230v power. Inverters will almost always use less power than their transformer based counterparts. However that savings in power comes with a penalty at the register. You will pay considerably more for an inverter that will run 1/8" rods on average, than you will a transformer machine.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Prove it , i think the maxstar can be matched with a walmart sold century or cambell hausefield. Prove its worth 4 times what others cost, i dare ya.
    Well, show a single 'other' welder working in the industry. I mean, one in the field, tig welding pipe to asme standards.

If you want to talk about toughness, the Maxstars have proven themselves bulletproof for the last 15 years plus. For arc quality (It does make a big difference- maybe not running 6010, but yeah, when welding a 3" schedule 80 SS for the xray, it matters)

I just like the fact that they are supremely tough and very good machines. I will pay for that piece of mind, and customers in our industry demand it.
    When billing over $150 an hour for welding services, yes, the quality means something.
    I think she is Bi-polar. She is a bear sometimes. Does this make her a BiPolar bear????

Longevity has5yr warranty, no way i would pay 3 times the price for a blue machine with a 2 yr warranty. Google miller maxstar problems, i wouldnt give 100 bucks for one.
    Miller's warranty is three years.
    Dairy equipment repair, Welding machine repair, General all-around garage hack...

DynaSteve

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    And rarely needed......
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

You googled maxstar problems and copied and pasted those links. Tell me that the last five links would be deal killers. Bottom line, your money and your decision. Gotta wonder what drives an attitude like yours though.

When I bought my 150 STH, the dealer was upfront about the 6010 issue and I had read about it while researching them prior to purchase so it would be considered a limitation rather than a problem. If a guy decides he only has $700 to spend then the choice is limited to certain new models and possibly a good used deal. I can certainly respect that.
    Someone chimes in that an industry proven model isn't worth $100....??

Waiting for this "Blue is better" hearsay to be proven. Anybody care to open one up and compare components against a import ???
    Longevity 160sx
    Lincoln 140 mig
    lincoln magnum spoolgun
    Victor torch and regulators

ESAB 161LTS for $478. plus shipping isn't bad.

https://weldingsupply.securesites.ne...AND:0558101694
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

Quote Originally Posted by 85cj7boy View Post
    I have the ESAB MiniArc 161 LTS and it is a beast. Very smooth start on tig and when hooked up to 220 it will burn a 5/32 rod great. It runs 6010 very well as we'll as 7018. I have welded with the miller and thermal arc. Neither had as good of an arc as the ESAB.
    Like OldE' pointed out, that's gotta be one of the best deals going right now. Even the HF inverter isn't much cheaper than that.

But CJ7, have you tried to tig with it?

**nevermind, just read where you said "smooth start", unless you want to expand on it's tig capabilities**
    Trailblazer 250
    Esab Caddy 160
    Thermal Arc 201TS

well, I tried real hard to bite my tongue and not get involved....

Waiting for this "Blue is better" hearsay to be proven. Anybody care to open one up and compare components against a import ???
    No, but I can bet you a can of green paint you keep fanning the flames, you'll get a vacation courtesy of the management.

We have heard this beat to death a thousand times. I could care less what you weld with or what you spend your money on.

Take it to the sponsored boards. Nobody cares here.
    Dairy equipment repair, Welding machine repair, General all-around garage hack...

DynaSteve

Can easily tell who the Fanboys are for every brand with threads like this... I agree that ESAB makes some good stuff for the money.. not sure about the new stuff but the older Migs are known for a very nice arc. ESAB makes some excellent rod too. Atom Arc has won a lot of praises...

Significant difference in Arc quality between a green 140st and a red v205t. That is from personal comparison esp on 6010 and 7018. Not hearsay.
    Lincoln SP250 W/ spoolgun, GoWeld x2, ESAB 300AVS Feeder, Powcon 300SM. Everlast PowerTig 185 micro,
    ESAB 875 plasma. Evo 355. Steelmax 9", OA.

No, but I can bet you a can of green paint you keep fanning the flames, you'll get a vacation courtesy of the management.

We have heard this beat to death a thousand times. I could care less what you weld with or what you spend your money on.

Buy the machine you want, share your experiences and leave it at that. Happy welding and this thread will be closed if it continues to go in the direction it's going.
    If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic tic

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

I have figured out that keeping everyone happy is nearly impossible but pissing people off is easy and fun.

I have the 95s you asked about and to be honest I do not like it's stick burning capabilities. It is weak and without much force.
    Tig on the other hand is surprisingly effective. I bought this machine for easily portable repair of sheet metal and stainless sheet. (restaurant and food processing equipment) It comes with 1/16 tungstens but I have run it with long tapered 1/8 tungstens with no problems. Arc control and stability are impressive for such a pocket machine and it works perfectly for what I intended it for.
    It will not perform satisfactorily in a heavy repair environment though.

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    And rarely needed......
    I bought my Miller Dynasty 200DX new in 05.
    I paid alot of money for it.
    Was it worth it, Hell Yes!
    How many times did I use the warranty? ZERO!
    Can green say that? Hell No!

Ok rant done.
    Now back to your regularly scheduled program

kidtigger24
    Last edited by kidtigger24; 11-04-2012 at 01:31 PM.
    If it ain't broke, fix it anyway!

A point of view, you can weld with a 12v battery. The difference between welders is what works for you based on purpose, material thickness, available power, protability, pirce and SUPPORT AND PARTS. If it meets the first 5 of your needs then it is a good welder for you. 20 year warranty would be great if they offered it but they are only as good as the manf makes them. 920-735-4505 that is the number for Miller Repair, I have used it 100's of times have NEVER been disatisfied with the results and have always talked to a service rep. Lincoln. Thermal. most brand name mach. offer the same. But then that kind of support is important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by weldbay View Post
    A point of view, you can weld with a 12v battery. The difference between welders is what works for you based on purpose, material thickness, available power, protability, pirce and SUPPORT AND PARTS. If it meets the first 5 of your needs then it is a good welder for you
    That about sums it up. What works for you

Good point!

DynaSteve

Couldn't find a smilie for this, so.....CLAP, CLAP, CLAP.......

who asked you????
    Longevity 160sx
    Lincoln 140 mig
    lincoln magnum spoolgun
    Victor torch and regulators

who asked you????
    No one asked him and no one has to. I thank him for jumping in and attempting to end this pi$$ing match. Quit trying to fan the flames again. My delete and ban keys are warmed up and ready to go.
    If you don't want to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

who asked you????
    Nobody had to ask.

Your attitude said enough.

Really, if you use the Chinese machines, that's your business.

That's one thing. On the other, throwing stuff out there that just agitates an already sore subject with a LOT of people who were around this site a LONG time BEFORE you got here is another.

I have nor want any personal beef with you. I've sadly contributed to enough flame wars involving this subject in the past. I have come to realize that it's simply up to the individual to make the right call when they purchase a piece of equipment. I have been selling & repairing used welding machines (yes, mainly those "blue"ones) for about the last twelve years.

I could post up lots of solid evidence to refute many claims made that "the Chinese machines are just as good as the us made ones", but it doesn't matter. The fact that there's thousands of Miller inverter machines (the same model) that were in service over 15 years ago industrially, with hardly any signifigant revisional changes to their operating systems, that are still running, serviceable & have a readily available used parts market today is just one point. Again, it doesn't matter & I'm through arguing with anyone about it.

Just like I recently told member CEP after making very positive comments about his Everlast machine, if it works for you & the guy you bought it from is treating you right, that's all that's important.

But I will say, I have seen posts made by you on the sponsored boards & will tell you now, if you bring it here, it won't last very long.

That's all.

IMHO of course

DynaSteve

I'm game.

I have a Longevity plasma out in the shop now and its honestly not a bad machine.

My Hypertherm is American Made, it doesn't have a pilot arc that runs constantly, and it can gouge metal, but it costs twice as much as the import that just cuts steel, but it cuts it well.

Anyone wanna lend me a Maxstar? I doubt miller would give me the time of day but I wouldnt be surprised if Longevity or Everlast would lend me a unit. What do y'all think?
    "Overkill is an often under-rated achievement" -Will Hayden

HTP Mig 2400
    Hypertherm Powermax 45
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Longevity StickWeld 250
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Hobart Handler 187

a.k.a ChuckE2009 on Youtube

Back to the OP's question.

What would your dad think about getting a Chinese made welder as a gift?

Mine would be pissed, whether it made good welds or not.
    Ian Tanner

Kawasaki KX450f and many other fine tools

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.

I think hog needs to just plant the seed and move on. It's only a matter of time until Zap puts him in the penalty box!
    In my case, my V350-pro is the best machine I've ever run. Is it better than an XMT-350? How would I know never run one, until then I cannot comment.
    Wouldn't it be nice if other people had that attitude?
    Dynasty 300.
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    LF-72
    SG Spool gun

LN-25.
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200.
    5 SA-200s.
    1800 Ellis saw
    Powermax 1250, CNC table.
    PROFAX Welding Positioner.

Quote Originally Posted by fortyonethirty View Post
    Back to the OP's question.

What would your dad think about getting a Chinese made welder as a gift?

Mine would be pissed, whether it made good welds or not.
    I wondered if anyone would get back to the OP's question and also If they are looking for a replacement arc welder for a buzz box, then recommending they need to buy a $4000 Dynasty if fricken' stupid. It's not going to happen. Ya all probably scared off the OP anyway but I would ask them what their budget is. If its a few hunderd bucks its going to limit the choices a lot. which by needing 120 VAC they have really limited it already.

Remember most circuits for 120VAC are 15 AMP so even ifthe machine is rated higher you will only be able to weld up to the rated capacity of the circuit which will limit you too less than 100 amps or so
    Lincoln SP250 W/ spoolgun, GoWeld x2, ESAB 300AVS Feeder, Powcon 300SM. Everlast PowerTig 185 micro,
    ESAB 875 plasma. Evo 355. Steelmax 9", OA.