Northern Industrial ST80i
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Northern Industrial ST80i

Anyone have any feedback on this? I'm a beginner just looking to do small projects and learn on a limited budget.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...2862_200512862

Re: Northern Industrial ST80i

Welcome..looks like a good place to start. no experiance whith that model but like i said a good place to start.

At that price of $150, looks like a good deal but a used lincoln would be better.

check on the price for the "optional" tig torch.
    You can find a new Thermal Arc 95 on ebay now for right around $250ish, with shipping, and I would have more faith in the TA. But at least N'Tools stands behind their stuff.

Good luck Giggity, welcome to WW and keep us informed as to what you decide and how you like it.
    Lincoln SA 200
    Esab Caddy 160
    Thermal Arc 201TS
    Miller Dialarc HF

I don't like making plans for the day because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom....

Looks good, see if you can get a copy of the "Manufactures Warranty" check the fine print, see it it has to be sent back to the Manf for repair and of course where the Manf. is and who pays the freight.

dubl_t, that includes the TIG torch and shipping. The TA95 is about $300 for the stick kit only. Add another $130 for the TIG.

Weldbay, One year replacement warranty. An extra year is $15 more. Don't know about shipping.

edit - the price is $230 for everything. I thought that was in my original post.
    Last edited by Giggity; 11-03-2012 at 05:55 PM.

Yea Gig,
    I see where pricing for the TA is mostly for "stick only" kits.

I say buy the Northern tools model and have fun. Remember, it's not the last welder you're gonna buy

Hey and also, you don't need the mfgr's "tig torch package" as for the most part, torches are universal and sometimes you can find cheaper ones elsewhere. But NT's torch price is pretty good.
    Lincoln SA 200
    Esab Caddy 160
    Thermal Arc 201TS
    Miller Dialarc HF

I don't like making plans for the day because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom....

I don't know how much they get for shipping, but Global has the TA 95 kits:

Stick - $251.
    Stick/TIG - $353.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

Some inverters can be ran in series(2 welders) for double the amps. I think your Northern will too.

Check out Rick V. He has a thread about doing this.
    Last edited by Insaneride; 11-04-2012 at 11:47 AM.

Hi Giggity,

I have a few welders of similar specification: rated 80 amps stick and 100 amps Tig. I measured 70 amps max output on stick. That's enough to handle most 3/32 electrodes but a mite shy for 7018. If you can really get the claimed 90 amps then you'd be set up pretty good. The optional Tig torch kit on sale looks a good deal too.

Insaneride mentioned my trick. I got a second indentical welder and ran both in parallel (+) to (+) and (-) to (-). I doubled my output amps from 70 max to 140 amps - enough to run any 1/8 inch electrode... nice. Then, I picked up a third identical welder and... my max output amps tripled to 210 amps - easily enough to run any 5/32 electrode.

It's all a question of $ and quality. The Northern Tool unit at $150 + $70 for the tig kit is $220 total - a good deal. You can always sell of the machine for $100 later when you move up. The Thermal Arc 95 with Tig kit runs near $400 here - a lot more dollar.

If you afford it and find a good deal, I think it would be better to buy a similar 150 amp machine - a lot more versatile.

Have fun!
    Rick V

1 Airco Heliwelder 3A/DDR
    3 CTC 70/90 amp Stick/Tig Inverters in Parallel
    1 Lincoln MIG PAK 15
    1 Oxy-Acet

I guess its not series im confused , but ganged welders. At $150 plus the torch, sounds like a good start. Get two because your gonna need the xtra headroom if you can budget it
    Last edited by Insaneride; 11-04-2012 at 10:22 PM.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll hold off as the sale ends today plus I have a friend who is willing to part with an OA setup and an old Miller arc machine. And another guy I know with a tombstone to sell.

Northern Tool has an excellent warranty plan. They try to fix as much as they can in the store. Their extended warranty plans are even better, because it adds on to end of the manufacturers warranty. I purchased a power house generator two years ago with the extended warranty. The generator came with a two year warranty, and with the extended warranty I have a four year warranty. You can also get accidental damage protection just in case it falls of a ladder. I'm not familiar with this machine, but I would not hesitate buying anything from Northern Tool. From my experience Northern Tool stands behind their products.