Salaries for welding
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Salaries for welding

Hi everyone. I'm 17 years old and have some questions about the welding trade. I weld a lot in my auto body class, and my teacher noticed i have a knack for welding and a steady hand. He's a cool guy and started some small talk with me about shipyard welding and underwater welding, and mentioned how much they get paid. I am not a person who enjoys sitting around all day and want to do stuff with my hands, but I'm fairly smart as well (not trying to sound conceded) and don't want a job that will render me braindead. welding seems like a good fit.

How much do underwater welders and shipyard welders make? is it based on salaries or hourly rates? I googled some stuff but it was mostly dumbass help-article websites, so i figure i should take the apple from the horses mouth and actually ask people who are in the industry. What are some good schools to go to for underwater/shipyard welding? are internships or apprenticeships neccessary? What are some companies to look into for apprenticeships or interns?

Also, i know an underwater welder personally and he lives on-rig making absolute bank, and seems to lead a interesting life so that sparked some of the curiousity as well

thanks for reading, i know it was a long post. have a good one and happy welding.
    alex

Re: Salaries for welding

shipyard welders make,,,,well right now jobs are 23hr and 128 a day tax free for perdiem..........go with underwater,,,,,the oil feild [offshore],,,that where i work now a see dive boats come and inspect the platforms,,,,the welders really don't work all year from what i see,,,,say 8 months,,,,im sure they make over 100,000 a year,,,,,,,,,,,,just a regular welder can make that,,,,,,,get the training school now though,,,,just go do it now and get it over with if u wanna do it....they go to texas or louisanna,,,,,ton and tons of work in the gulf,,,,,,,,this is not just talk,,,,it is very good money,,,,,with free food,,,,damn good food,,,all you want,,,,ice cream steak shrimp whatever u want,,,,but the bad side,,,,its like ur in jail,,,,88 miles offshore and your there,,,,way way away,,,,,its not bad though,,,,just do it,,,,don't even think,,,,,get ur training and take it serious ,,,,u will make good money if u don't get cought up in drug,,,a drunk,,,1,000 kids,jail,,,or ur just a dead beat,,,,,,,,,lol,,,,,,now go to the school

i work out of louisanna ,,,,i make 21.00 hr,,,,,,but i get 103 hrs a week pretty reg,,,,,,,2,850 after taxes 1,950 a week with free food,,,,,,and im just a plain welder,,,,,work is heave during summer and hurricane damage reair,,,,,but slow now....underwater welder i could only imagine,,,,,,,,id say atleast 125,000 and only work for 6 months,,,,,,,ofcoarse u will not start out at that,,,,

wow sounds good

I'll see if i can post without adding all the commas and Full stops,

You need to remember an underwater welder and ship welder/plater is not just a job you can go into, right from school, Those guys have many years training and you will no doubt need extra qualifications to do either of those jobs, just because you can do some basic welding will not get you doing those jobs unless your qualified and with many years experience.

Look up commercial diving on here or online.. It's not what it's cut out to be like everyone says. You start off at 14-15$ and hour. You might work 2 weeks straight with a few days here and there. Now with Obama back in office and no major hurricanes in a few years work is dried up. Plus there's 30 kids from 6-8 schools waiting to jump in the market each MONTH. You'll pay 15-25k for school when said and done. Go to a real welding school that will teach you pipe. Pipe welders are in high demand

I'm an aerospace Tig welder and I make $24/hr starting. Its a really chill job too. I've heard underwater welding isn't what its cracked up to be, I think you have to take mandatory days off due to the pressures messing with your body and what not. Could be wrong.

My teacher said 2 places around here were hiring starting at $40.25 and $40.75 per hour.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 62i
    Longevity ProMTS200 & Spool gun
    Thermal Arc 186
    Tweco 141i

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble View Post
    My teacher said 2 places around here were hiring starting at $40.25 and $40.75 per hour.
    Not going to happen, unless you are going to be an independent contractor.

Quote Originally Posted by wkdivr View Post
    Yes you are correct, my teacher is lying to us..so does the posting on the wall....
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 62i
    Thermal Arc 186
    Tweco 141i

Quote Originally Posted by wkdivr View Post
    Again. Let's see a pic of the posting.

Let me see if it's still up when I go to class next week.
    Torchmate 2x2 CNC
    Longevity 200ex
    Longevity Forcecut 62i
    Thermal Arc 186
    Tweco 141i

A friend of the family is an underwater weldor. Or I should say unemployed underwater weldor. He did 2 years in the Gulf, on and off and ran out of money. He is a sea urchin tender? in Oxnard, Ca., which at least pays the rent.

He does not regret the experience, and hopes things turn around, but there are graduates of underwater schools flooding the marketplace every year.
    Last edited by shovelon; 02-01-2013 at 11:17 AM.
    "Nothing welded, nothing gained."
    Miller Dynasty700DX, 3 ea. Dynasty350DX, Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250, Hypertherm800

Pipe Welding pays good. However, good luck getting a job. I've been looking for a while and all the companies want people with 3-5 years experience.

What aggravates me is the pure fact they want and need welders but will only look at you if you have years of experience. How does one get the experience if these companies wont give us newbies a try?

As for the shipyard jobs and their pay. If I'm not mistaken on this, which I have researched in Florida. Some of the yards if not most all of them. They offer like 20+ an hour then say well its only 13.50-16 something and the rest is per diem. All payed on an hourly basis. If you are getting paid any amount on an hourly rate all pay is subject to OT. Which makes the shipyards in violation of labor laws. Them trying to say "oh you get this on the hour but this part is only your rate and.the other is per diem, wrong... is needed to be payed and taxed at a correct rate. Shipyard to me is a scam waiting be sued.
    Melt-n-Metal

Quote Originally Posted by looking View Post
    Pipe Welding pays good. However, good luck getting a job. I've been looking for a while and all the companies want people with 3-5 years experience.

What aggravates me is the pure fact they want and need welders but will only look at you if you have years of experience. How does one get the experience if these companies wont give us newbies a try?
    Oh boy! This has been a pet peeve of mine for more than 40 years! It is hard to find an employer who will take on a novice for any sort of skilled or even semi-skilled labor; they want proven track records. I can't really blame the employers for wanting experienced people who have a proven track record of being able to do the job, think on their feet, and not require a lot of hand-holding.

I would expect that in this trade if you can get through tech school and get an AWS certification you should be golden. Any employer worth working for should know what it takes to get an AWS certification and will value that certification highly.

Now if you need arc time and want to be paid for it all bets are off. You will have to conduct your affairs such that you get exposed to the work you want and that may mnean taking a lower skill level job like laborer. Go where the work is, and that may mean geographical relocation by hundreds or even thousands of miles. Work for dirt, live on stale bread and tepid water, but document everything you do for a few years. Always stay at a job at least 1 to 2 full years, or in case of construction through the end of the project or as long as the employer needs your skills, whichever is longer. Keep you mouth shut, don't sass the boss, don't complain about the horrid conditions or lack of tools, safety, comfort, food or water, avoid the cheap whiskey and filthy hookers... Quietly and obediently slave your @$$ off all the while looking for the next opportunity. Opportunities do not come often, the most successful people create their own and you can do that by slaving away as a grunt. The best jobs are not found, they come to you because your good reputation preceeds you. And remember that as much as a good reputation preceeds you, a bad reputation will follow you.

As for the shipyard jobs and their pay. If I'm not mistaken on this, which I have researched in Florida. Some of the yards if not most all of them. They offer like 20+ an hour then say well its only 13.50-16 something and the rest is per diem. All payed on an hourly basis. If you are getting paid any amount on an hourly rate all pay is subject to OT. Which makes the shipyards in violation of labor laws. Them trying to say "oh you get this on the hour but this part is only your rate and.the other is per diem, wrong... is needed to be payed and taxed at a correct rate. Shipyard to me is a scam waiting be sued.
    Thats all a matter of figures don't lie but liars figure. It's all marketing: Hold out a bright bunch of fresh carrots to get attention then when the donkey's show up feed 'em turnips instead. If you want to work there accept the fact that's just how the game is played. Get used to it and learn how the system works then work the system to your advantage.

I should have followed all this (my own) advice more carefully 40 years ago.

- Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    Ask for a wrench and someone will offer you a grinder.
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

I have a current 6" 6G SMAW cert. As well as the UA21&41. Had a MIG 3G, that was done last year. I can weld most anything. Fairly good at aluminum .020 and up. On my own time I just started on downhill pipe tonight, need more time on that. I can weld, the best no am I fast as a seasoned welder no. Only time under the Hood makes speed happen. I'm not giving up that I can say. I'm sure my door will open soon.
    Melt-n-Metal

Google life expectancy for underwater welder its not very good.
    Live fast die young at heart

Commercial divers life expectancy isn't shorter than anything else. You might hear of 1-2 deaths a year in the U.S. I know guys that are in there 50s that still dive and work hard like the young guys. Trust me you won't make **** as a diver right now. You'll start off a newbie offshore just like the 100s waiting to get into the field.

If you can't find a pipe welding job out there then your obviously not looking at all or you can't weld pipe. If they say 3-5 years exp then say you have it and just take the test and hire in.