how do i get an entry level pipeline job?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

how do i get an entry level pipeline job?

Im new to the forum so im not entirely sure that this it the page for the question, but anyways, ill be graduating highschool in May. Ive only got a 3g cert right now but ive been welding pipe here n there for a while and im going to try to get some pipe certs before i graduate. So my big question is, once i get a 6g cert for 6010 open root/7018 cap how do i get my foot in the door to get a pipeline job? is my best shot to be a welders helper for a thousand hours and then work my way up to a welder? does anybody know of any companies/guys that will hire entry level pipe welders and actually have them welding? would i be better off joining a union? ive heard the local 798 is almost impossible to get into right now.

im just a young guy lookin to chase his dream. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: how do i get an entry level pipeline job?

Well first there needs to be pipeline jobs.
    I forgot how to change this.

Yes, in this economy, your best shot is to apply to a UA local and pay your dues in apprenticeship time. If the economy speeds up, and skilled tradesmen are in short supply, then you'll have a shot at finding a non-union mechanical contractor that will gamble on hiring brand new welders. But while business is slow, and unemployment is high, employers will have the pick of the crop when it comes to welders looking for work. For that matter, so will the unions, so expect to have to work for a slot as an apprentice in a union local hall.

Your best bet is to look at traveling work as a helper with the UA, Ironworkers, or one of the other skilled trade unions that does welding. Workers willing to live in hotels and travel full time are rare, and as a result there are more opportunities and better pay.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by 96powerstroke View Post
    Im new to the forum so im not entirely sure that this it the page for the question, but anyways, ill be graduating highschool in May. Ive only got a 3g cert right now but ive been welding pipe here n there for a while and im going to try to get some pipe certs before i graduate. So my big question is, once i get a 6g cert for 6010 open root/7018 cap how do i get my foot in the door to get a pipeline job? is my best shot to be a welders helper for a thousand hours and then work my way up to a welder? does anybody know of any companies/guys that will hire entry level pipe welders and actually have them welding? would i be better off joining a union? ive heard the local 798 is almost impossible to get into right now.

im just a young guy lookin to chase his dream. any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Mobile Welding at your worksite or place of business. Serving Dayton, Ohio and the surrounding metro areas.
    AWS Certified Welding Inspector (#XXX10731) and Certified Welding Educator (#XXX1008E)
    www.bensonmobilewelding.com

http://ua.org/links.asp

You failed to mention your location. Follow the above link and figure out where the closest office is to your location.

Communicate only with the "Apprenticeship Coordinator". Don't give up until you talk to him / her because that is where you get both the help you need and the straight story on how to apply.

Now.... If you have thick skin, ambition and a lot of backbone... You can try the back door. Every Local has a "Training Facility" where the apprentices attend class / weld / braze / thread pipe / etc. Apprentices are in class at night somewhere between 6 PM and 10 PM. You can show up there (wearing leather boots, long sleeves, long pants, safety glasses and a baseball hat) and go into their "Break Room". Strike up a conversation with one of the young men that has on his welding gear. Ask him the same questions you asked in your orginal post. Every one of the Apprentices there came down the path you are on. If your timing is really good he will direct you to one of the instructors (preferably welding) or the coordinator. At that point, it's your opportunity.

Now, "FAST FORWARD" about 5 years.. You are a welder in need of a job. You are going to have to make the same moves I have just described..... show up, look like a welder ready to work and talk your way in either the front door or the back door.

We have all been given a "break" somewhere along the way. If you get that break..... make the most of it.

Hobo
    Lincoln SA200's... at least 15 - 20. They come and go. Growing partial to the "Short Hoods" in my old age. Last count on Short Hoods was 13 in possession.