Root Pass on 6 inch schedule 40
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Root Pass on 6 inch schedule 40

Does anyone have any tips for putting in the root pass on 6 inch schedule 40?

Thanks.

Re: Root Pass on 6 inch schedule 40

Quote Originally Posted by Jess92345
    Does anyone have any tips for putting in the root pass on 6 inch schedule 40?

Thanks.
    What process, electrode, position and other stuff. It would guide to a more full filling answer
    --Gol'

I am using SMAW with a 1/8 E 6010 electrode. I am doing it in the 5 G position with a 3/32 root opening and a 3/32 land.

I like a 1/8 land and I run at 80 amps uphill make the key hole fill so on and so on. Its a pain but once you get it its like riding a bike
    Trailblazer 302 Airpak
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52 Camo
    Miller Dailarc 250 OLD But great!!
    2 Miller 140's w/autoset NEW!
    Millwauke Cold cut saws
    Dewalt portaband
    Jd2 notcher
    Pipe beveling machine

It's all about keeping that keyhole going. If the amps are right and the land is adequate, you'll barely even have to use any sort of motion, just feed the right right in. If it seems to be burning away too quickly, I use a whip and triangle motion to fill. In other words, whip up and back down, point left, fill across, point right, then back up. Makes a nice bead on the inside.

Just make sure all your tacks and start/stops are properly feathered, too.

Ok I will give this a try tomorrow at shcool. Thanks for the tips.

I'm back and I have another question. Is it acceptable to use a drag tecnique instaed of a whip and pause? My root looks alot more uniform when I drag the keyhole instead of stepping it.

I use about 400 different movements, none at the same time. Practice, is about all you can do, then it hits you. Are you uphand, or downhand?
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

I'm back and I have another question. Is it acceptable to use a drag tecnique instaed of a whip and pause? My root looks alot more uniform when I drag the keyhole instead of stepping it.
    thats usually how i do it

I find my ideal bead profile is when dragging with.....the flux clearly burning off in a 'v' shape..... a noticeable pink colour below the rod for about 1/8".... the bright keyhole colour on only one side of the rod at a time and reappears alternately as I advance slightly left to right to left. If the red colour below the rod starts growing to 1/4" or the bright keyhole colour is constantly present all around the rod, I will start a reversing 'teardrop shaped' whip of maximum 1/8" distance. If there is any sign of the keyhole still getting larger, I'll break off and let it cool or lower my heat.

In the 5g position the heat will rise up and by the time you get to 3-12 oclock and 9-12 oclock it may be quite hot and open up on you. So do the top half first the do 6-3 and 6-9 oclock. Start with about 70 amps and work up from there. Make sure your rod is perpendicular to your pipe and have the end angled towards your puddle about 5*. Go slow enough so that you see a half moon shaped keyhole behind you. If it looks like it is opening up the angle the rod away from puddle. If it still opens to much you can either try to whip or stop and let it cool a bit. I would use the drag technique until you can lay in a root that doesnt need any touch ups then try to whip it. Its also very very important that your tacks are feathered real good. Grind back until there is a paper thin blue slope atleast 1/8" long. Ive seen a few roots fail xray because of poor tie ins. Not fun fixing after its been fully welded. If you can place the pipe down low so that you can kneel when doing the bottom half, that way you are nice and stable.

Think into the theory behind what you're doing..brain work is easier than using elbow grease.

The land is there as a means of controlling heat. lets say you like a 3/32" gap. Fine...now work on adjusting your land in a way that allows you to weld at the amperage you want. If you want to run at 80 amps, you will need more land than if you want to weld at 65 amps. Keep in mind that the rod will burn smoother at 80 than at 65..and will start up easier.

Just play with your land width a bit. I prefer to get all mine set up where I can pretty much drag the rod.

TozziWelding,

I am not sure what you mean by uphand or downhand. Could you please specify? I appreciate the help. Thanks.

TozziWelding,

I am not sure what you mean by uphand or downhand. Could you please specify? I appreciate the help. Thanks.
    It's slang, meaning the direction of travel...up or down.

I am traveling uphill. The top half of the pipe (3-12 and 6-12) usually looks pretty good but the bottom is usually irregular, with either too much reinforcement or not enough.

I usually use about a 3/32 land and 3/32 gap and 100 amps. Cram it in it and drag it or push it up. If you can see a fire or arc on the outside it isn't going in. Everyone does it different. Don't let my amperage scare you I just run hotter than most. You do what works for you. There is no substitute for practice. If you are just learning try 3/32 and get to where you can get a good root consistently then move up to 1/8. Same thing for 7018 uphill. Speed comes with experience and practice.
    The difference between art and craft is the quality of the workmanship. I am an artist.

noob here
    what is the keyhole?

When putting in an open root pass either structural or piping you have to blow through leaving a bead on the inside. When you blow through you should have a small round hole following behind the arc that fills as you go. Very hard to explain because as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.
    The difference between art and craft is the quality of the workmanship. I am an artist.

go here

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/c2420.pdf