7014 welding rod
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

7014 welding rod

Does anyone use this rod much. I know it is in the fast fill category. What applications do you use it in ?

Re: 7014 welding rod

When I only had a buzz box welder I used it alot. Now I used 7018 most of the time. 7014 is a good general purpose iron powder rod for flat or horizontal welds. Not so good vertical.

It is basicly a 7018. It is however not low hydrogen. It makes the second best beed in stick welding only a 7024 does better. I use it for just genral welding the only problem I have had with it is you get kind of an inclusion on the edge of the bead but the is not a big problem. It is also not as critical that you keep the 7014 as dry as a 7018.
    Steel Thunder Welding LLC. St. Thomas VI USA
    MM350P
    BOBCAT 3
    MAXSTAR 150 STH
    375 EXTREME PLASMA
    6.5 HP COMPRESOR
    DEWALT 18, 24, AND 36 VOLT
    O/A TORCH SET
    AND SO MUCH MORE I DONT REMEMBER
    ALL IN MY 2005 2500HD EXTENDED CAB L/B

I used about 10 lbs on a spiral stair build. It is considerably faster than 6013, my standard rod. I don't like it for anything but flat. I haven't been able get consistently good welds in any positions other than flat.

Thanks for the replies. I wanted to see what your opinion of this rod was. For me it is the easiest rod to weld with, but all my welding is flat. I don't think I will ever trust myself to be looking up at something I am welding - I will always have to keep finding ways to turn it upside down,

Overhead sucks. I have leathers and and arm brace. I try to lay or stand off to one side and use the brace for my arm. It's not that bad, but I always charge extra.
    MM350P
    BOBCAT 3
    MAXSTAR 150 STH
    375 EXTREME PLASMA
    6.5 HP COMPRESOR
    O/A TORCH SET

why charge more for over head thats just part of being a welder its not like its a specialty job that you would charge extra for not trying to pick a argument just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by heimbuckwelding View Post
    why charge more for over head thats just part of being a welder its not like its a specialty job that you would charge extra for not trying to pick a argument just my .02
    that is the joy of being self employed.

I use it a lot since I don't have a rod oven for 7018. 7014 is my crutch when I want the best possible looking beads but can't/won't/shouldn't MIG the weld for some reason.
    Hobart Stickmate LX AC/DC, Millermatic 252 & 30A spoolgun, Thermal Arc 185 TIG, Miller BWE
    Smith Oxy-Ac
    Bridgeport 2J , South Bend 42" 9A
    Husky 7.5 HP 22.3 CFM 80 gal compressor

Not trying to be smarta$$ed or start a fight but if you can't weld overhead then you aren't really a welder. Flat is a lot faster and easier and I always try to get stuff in that position but it's not always possible.

7014 welds much better with A C , than with D C . SO does 7024 . if you have a D C machine ,you don't need the 7024 or 7014............. with d c and 7024 , you'll almost always get a slag pocket in a corner , but it doesn't happen with A C .
    [SIZE="5
    "Yardbird"

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Hodges View Post
    7014 welds much better with A C , than with D C . SO does 7024 . if you have a D C machine ,you don't need the 7024 or 7014............. with d c and 7024 , you'll almost always get a slag pocket in a corner , but it doesn't happen with A C .
    I don't agree with this. I can't sleep with either of them on AC, but on DC, it is nap time. Grab a stick of '24, nod off. Wake up when it's done, and repeat. '24 on DC is my first choice when conditions allow. I can't argue with the slag pocket in the corner on stops, so I tend to run out of the corner to avoid it. (actually, start maybe an inch away, run in before there is buildup to get heat in, then run out slow to float the slag out, but....)

I am self-employed and don't charge extra for overhead. In fact I only charge extra for the price differential in exotic electrodes (as in the really expensive ones). For me overhead is fun, and I don't use anything for it except 6010/6011 or 7018. I count myself lucky on the rare occasions when I can weld flat, but most of the time it is uphill or overhead with 7018. I keep 3 electrodes in stock 6010/6011, 7018, and 7024. If I have to use sticks on ornamental iron work I use 3/32 6010/6011 whichever I can get. I prefer GMAW for ornamental but also have a small FCAW machine for onsite repair. Coming from the oilfield I have had to weld on a ton of magnetized stuff and if I can I use AC on it with 7018/24 because it minimizes arc blow by canceling the magnetic field. I have an old old Lincwelder 225-AC that is smooth smooth with Excalibur 7018. Haven't tried it yet with 7024. I have never hired in for any code work that allowed anything other than 6010 and 7018 when using sticks. If you can pass a G6 pipe test using them you can go to work anywhere.
    The difference between art and craft is the quality of the workmanship. I am an artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Not trying to be smarta$ or start a fight but if you can't weld overhead then you aren't really a welder. Flat is a lot faster and easier and I always try to get stuff in that position but it's not always possible.
    i have to agree with oldtimer...if you cant run 6010/11 and 7018 overhead...stick to making lawn ornaments

I second Enlpck. Where I am from they have a saying that you can always tell the rookies because they are using the round chalk and/or welding on AC.

The reason I charge a little extra for overhead is it takes a little more time with the extra PPE's and I like to clean overhead weld better than other welds. I find a clean weld area makes overhead a lot easier and gives better welds. There is also the consideration of what are the odds im going to get hurt. Since im self employed this is a big factor for me. If I get hurt who takes over? I cant call in and my guy who workes for me is out till im back. Its not that im scared of it or cant weld overhead its just a pain and there is slightly more risk of injury. This is why I charge more. I charge extra for other things like if I get on a ferry with my truck to go to other islands there is a small amount of salt spray and that takes its toll on equipment.
    MM350P
    BOBCAT 3
    MAXSTAR 150 STH
    375 EXTREME PLASMA
    6.5 HP COMPRESOR
    O/A TORCH SET

so how do you expect to get hurt from welding overhead?
    G

The worst I have ever burned myself I was welding horizontal at eye level standing straight up. The burning sleeve didn't get me, it was the slapping it out that did. Wow, talk about putting it to your customers, charge them extra and then take longer doing it. I gotta look into this business model. The competition must be really thin. I don't charge extra for the ferry trips either. They are paying me by the hour for sitting on it anyway.
    The difference between art and craft is the quality of the workmanship. I am an artist.

Quote Originally Posted by enlpck View Post
    I don't agree with this. I can't sleep with either of them on AC, but on DC, it is nap time. Grab a stick of '24, nod off. Wake up when it's done, and repeat. '24 on DC is my first choice when conditions allow. I can't argue with the slag pocket in the corner on stops, so I tend to run out of the corner to avoid it. (actually, start maybe an inch away, run in before there is buildup to get heat in, then run out slow to float the slag out, but....)
    If you'd run as much 7024 as i did in the old days at Kaiser Steels' fab shop- 400 weldors employed there , you would see it my way. I used to run 40 to 50 pounds of 7024 PER 8 hour shift. 7/32 rod . a 5/16th fillet in ONE pass ! (flat) in the bilges of new barges we were building . An NO under cut allowed . They were 100 per cent Coast guard inspected . I know what i'm talking about . I never was a fitter. just combo welder (some & mostly PRODUCTION welder . ) We always used A C , when running 7024. WE had more D C machines available , but A C was better . Btw, with 7024 7/32 we ran it at 260 amps . A C .
    Last edited by Roy Hodges; 02-03-2008 at 01:35 AM. Reason: additional info
    [SIZE="5
    "Yardbird"

Good point, Roy. I agree. I think that was a generally speaking saying. As if usually in a shop they would have an ac/dc machine. Just speculating. I have always run '24 on dc. Thats just how I was taught, and stayed that way.