Maxus Pro 125 Mig/Flux welder
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Maxus Pro 125 Mig/Flux welder

I finally splurged and bought myself a better welder than the Harbor Freight 90 amp flux core.I got it from Grizzly for a grand total of $269.90,it is the Pro 125 from Maxus.I tell you what,it's no Miller,Lincoln or Hobart but it seems to have a pretty good wire feed.It has an all aluminum wire feed unit and the bearing is driven off of the drive roller with a gear.Haven't done anything but unboxed it and attached the gun and plugged it in to be sure it works because I hate having anything like this shipped anymore because of the rough handling.I seen the UPS truck coming up the driveway and sorta had this sick stomach feeling because of what I might see when I seen the box but to my surprise the box was in pretty good shape and nothing was broke when I looked inside.I would like to see inside of the welder but I will wait before I take it apart just in case of warranty purposes.I took a few pics so everybody could see what it looks like.It is mig ready but I'll probably just do the flux core thing right now because I don't have a cylinder plus I don't want to pay the rental fee on a cylinder but am anxious to see how well it would weld in mig mode.I bought this to be able to weld the thin stuff down to 24 gauge and the only way to do that is with gas but it will do 18 gauge with flux core,range is 25 amps to 125 amps.I'll post some welding pics later.It is tweco compatible so all of my other things like tip's and the brand new Lincoln Flux-core nozzle should work on this one also.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by dugndeep; 11-26-2012 at 03:22 PM.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    Chicago Electric 90 amp DC flux-core
    Lincoln Electric AC 225 tombstone
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Re: Maxus Pro 125 Mig/Flux welder

More pics
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

It has 5 heat settings instead of the usual 4 on other brands of welders.I wish they would just keep that elcheapo face mask and wire brush to save me the trouble of throwing it away(lol).I really like the 300 amp ground clamp though with the copper shunt,saves me the trouble of buying one just like it from Lincoln to put on there.
    It has the 8 foot gun and ground clamp cable which should be helpful.
    Last edited by dugndeep; 11-26-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Made in the USA in Harrisburg,Ohio
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

That's supposed to be made in Harrison,Ohio,waited to long before I noticed my mistake & couldn't edit it.
    Could have a better owner's manual with it,sorta basic info and it covers all 3 of their welders,the 125,140 & their 180.
    Last edited by dugndeep; 11-27-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Double drive roller system is sweet,barely any tension at all to feed wire,I love this welder,for $249.95,mig ready,you can't beat that.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

My garage is about 75 feet from my house and I need to run a dedicated 20 amp circuit out there to run my welder and my air compressor.I put this welder on 4 or 5 tapped setting and it makes the lights flicker in the house.If I was to try and weld something it will probably kick the breaker.Would 12-2 wire be big enough to do this?It will be about 130 foot run.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

12-2 should be fine, but if I was going to run a dedicated 75' run for a 110v machine I'd be tempted to run 10-2 and up size the breaker to 30 amps to give the machine as much power as it could possibly want. Go with one of the heavier 15/20 amp rated outlets rather than the cheaper 15 amp ones if you go this route.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Boy Dugn,
    That does look like a nice drive mechanism. And made in the USA too. Plus 5 heat settings.

Damb, I almost want one

I'm anxious to hear your input on how it welds.
    Lincoln SA 200
    Esab Caddy 160
    Thermal Arc 201TS
    Miller Dialarc HF

I don't like making plans for the day because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom....

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    12-2 should be fine, but if I was going to run a dedicated 75' run for a 110v machine I'd be tempted to run 10-2 and up size the breaker to 30 amps to give the machine as much power as it could possibly want. Go with one of the heavier 15/20 amp rated outlets rather than the cheaper 15 amp ones if you go this route.

Thanks for the info,I should just go the 10-2 route,have to crunch some numbers and see what the total cost would be.Smart thing would be the 10-2 and not have to worry about it.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

I scared myself because of my loss of memory yesterday.I had become so used to the Harbor Freight welder here at home and it being a 'LIVE' torch,I thought my new welder had done quit working.I got a 12' gate and the post that holds it has become so rotten that the top hinge pintle pulled out of the post,so to remedy that for now until spring time when I can set a new post,I just drilled the hole all the way thru the post and welded a 10" piece of 1/2" all-thread to the gate pintle and added a big washer on both ends,I welded one close to the pintle and on the other end one loose washer with a nut.I hooked my ground up and put a few spot welds just to hold it on so I could reposition it in the vise.So when I went to weld again,I couldn't get a spark,I repositioned my ground clamp,turned the welder on and off,well I finally figured it out,this welder is not live torch,you have to pull the trigger to make it work.I had just put a few spot welds on it and I had a brain fart there and forgot that this welder is not a 'live' torch welder like the Harbor Freight one is,what a relief,I thought my new welder was already acting up.It welds good,not one hiccup.I just need to get that wire run to my garage.I'm going to take DSW's advice and go with the 10-2 wire and 30 amp breaker so it can get all the power it needs to weld right.
    Last edited by dugndeep; 12-19-2012 at 08:10 AM.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Name:  homer_doh.png
Views: 996
Size:  12.6 KB

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Name:  homer_doh.png
Views: 996
Size:  12.6 KB

Yow it was a Homer moment(lol)
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Well I finally got around to taking the cover off so I could see what was inside.Here are a few pics of the inside.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

A few more.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

It looks pretty good for what it is. It looks pretty well made.

The tap selector range switch is interesting. Made from micro pressure switches by the looks of it. As long as it doesn't get beat around, it should be fine.

For the price you couldn't go wrong.

IMHO of course
    Last edited by 7A749; 01-07-2013 at 09:46 AM.

I love to tinker and soup things up so the thought of adding a capacitor but NOT,I'm going to leave this welder alone,it welds alright as it is.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Quote Originally Posted by dugndeep View Post
    I love to tinker and soup things up so the thought of adding a capacitor but NOT,I'm going to leave this welder alone,it welds alright as it is.
    That's a good idea. Just use it. The drive looks better than the plastic made ones on the smaller Hobart machines.

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    That's a good idea. Just use it. The drive looks better than the plastic made ones on the smaller Hobart machines.

I actually thought about getting the Hobart 125 but the cheap plastic drive killed that notion.The drive on the Hobart 125 is not the same as what's on Hobart 140 & 180.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

As long as it doesn't get beat around, it should be fine.

It's so heavy I don't even want to have to pack it anywhere.It's solid in the build,longevity in the electronics is still to be determined.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Hey Dugndeep!

First off, thanks for taking your case off so I don't have too.

I know I'm a noob here and I'll save the big introduction for where it's appropriate, but in short I've been in fabrication/welding for 11 years professionally. I have a good history with CH machines as the auto body shop where I broke into the industry had a supply contract with CH and I learned on a CH machine. ( I think it's worth saying I believe that machines that I used in that shop in denver where rebadged as CH, since I've never seen anything from CH as big until recently.

Thread Hijacking aside, I wanted to let you know that I am currently reviewing the same machine under the "Campbell Hausfeld Pro Mig 125" label for my Full Size Jeep club and I linked your review here in my own write up.

As turn-about is fair play, reciprocity dictates I share the same info here. Quick note to the mods and admins here, I am not on the payroll of any manufacturer, I am not a spammer, and I am NOT trying to redirect traffic from this site to another. As a mod on my forum those are the first things I'd think seeing a post like this from a member with a post count of "1". I also don't want anyone; mod, admin, or general member to think my endorsement of CH machines is for the commercial market. (you don't have the rolleyes smilie or you'd see it here). I use CH machines as HOBBY machines and have been impressed with what they can do in that capacity. At work I am fervently for Miller, then TD, then Lincoln, but that is leaning back toward hijacking...

Anyways, my fab forum on IFSJA.org is hidden to non-members so I can't link to it, but this coming week I'll be shooting some video of using FCAW to butt some 18ga, 1/8" and some .25" wall pipe for my own write up and if dugndeep would like, I will post those videos here. I'm also trying to talk my boss at work into doing a side-by-side with our Miller DVI on 120 just to see how far below this machine is compared to commercial equipment for the occasional "hard use", i.e. wrench-o-thon weekend with helpers doing your fitting.

That said, here's a few more pics for comparison of the CH Pro branded machines to the CH Maxus branded machine!

P.S. Sorry my camera sucks and the pics are big, my video camera is a little better.

EDIT>>Having issues with image size with my pics. I'll figure it out and repost. Sorry. -n00b.
    Last edited by REDONE; 01-14-2013 at 02:07 AM.

I would like to see the inside's of a CH Pro Mig 125,I seen an ad somewhere for it and it said it had a output capacitor which led me to believe that the Maxus would have an output capacitor also.As you can see the Maxus doesn't.The CH's are always about $50 to $60 dollars higher in price so maybe they do and the Maxus line doesn't.
    Everybody like's to see pic's and video's of machines in action or at least I do so as long as no advertising or what not happens everybody would probably enjoy your pic's and video's.
    Almost forgot,welcome to Welding Web forum.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Quote Originally Posted by dugndeep View Post
    I would like to see the inside's of a CH Pro Mig 125

Ask and you shall receive! for size reference, a 16oz beverage can and a #2 4" phillips screwdriver.

Same metal drive.

Same driven idler.

a little more back story: I've been using the smaller blue CH flux/MIG that looks the same but in real life is smaller for about 5 years. On Christmas Eve tweekers broke into my garage and stole it along with a battery charger and small 120v inverter welder. I bought this one I'm reviewing as it's replacement. This next pic is the first thing I noticed, a built in circuit breaker in addition to the thermal overload switch that kills power to everything but the fan.

Next was the real work lead instead of the chopped off end of a jumper cable.

Then I looked over the torch, which isn't just better but is a real tweko made torch. The liner is a spiral wound metal liner just like the big boys, not the plastic tube you normally get at this price. You can see the liner through the gas ports at the nozzle end (not in the pic, but in real life).

Sorry to keep you waiting but those where the pics I was trying to link from photobucket but couldn't get the size to show right here. Here's the guts for your comparison. If it's got a capacitor, I don't see it.

Here's the microswitches for the power control. I'm really impressed with this set up, really robust for what you'd expect.

Here's the only part I found that didn't surprise me in being above expected quality. These faston terminals are pretty chincy and not correctly heat shrink'd. They work, but a dedicated molex or weatherpak connector would have blown my mind.

I got a root canal yesterday and worked a full day today, so I'm gonna take it easy tonight. I'll get down to the shop to burn some metal this week for sure though.
    Last edited by REDONE; 01-14-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Ran into three issues today for getting a video posted:
    1) I have clearwire internet and it seems my tower is down so I'm posting from my phone. Honestly, this is what motivated me to go make a video after a 10hr day.

2) last time I made a welding video was at my old house where my shop had a pegboard backdrop. I could hang my auto hood from a peg and rest my camera in it. Here in my new garage I tried using a .25" slab as a table, then crumpled a beer can into a camera cradle and rested my hood over it. While this solved issue 2 it presented issue 3.

3) Skills are perishable, and my hoodflip skill is definitely suffering. I've been spoiled by affordable auto hoods. I was able to compensate but there's no way I'm putting a video on the Internet of me head banging like Waynes World and tacking 18ga to my ghetto fabulous sawhorse welding table and trying to look cool doing it.

I just ran to HF with a 20% coupon and got a cheap auto hood for the camera, and came up with a rediculous plan involving my dogs dinner bowl for a hooded camera stand.
    Last edited by REDONE; 01-15-2013 at 11:13 PM.