Here's the CPO outlet's website advertisement for this welder:

Steel powder coated case with oversized handle
    Five heat settings to match metal thickness
    Heavy-duty drive deck for consistent wire speed
    Robust capacitor provides smoother arc and less spatter
    Professional cold torch
    Welders include two extra contact tips and flux-core wire
    Weld with flux-core or MIG wire
    MIG wire requires hose kit WC803700AJ (Sold Separately)

Notice it say's it has a robust capacitor also.It is a smooth welding welder no matter what the ad says.I still got to get my 10-2 wire run to my garage so I don't have to worry about tripping my garage breaker.
    Last edited by dugndeep; 01-25-2013 at 10:45 AM.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    Chicago Electric 90 amp DC flux-core
    Lincoln Electric AC 225 tombstone
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Re: Maxus Pro 125 Mig/Flux welder

These welders don't come with a knurled drive roller for flux cored wire but with the double gear drive they don't need one.I barely have any tension at all on the wire and it feeds just fine.
    The only thing I don't like about my welder is the gun sheath.It is so heavy and stiff it is hard to twist the gun into the position that you need to weld.I know,that's alot to whine about.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

The only thing I have added to mine is the Lincoln flux core nozzle,works good on helping see the puddle thru all the smoke that comes with the flux core process.I like to turn on a little fan I have in the garage and direct it at the weld point to help move the smoke out of the way so I can see what I'm welding better.Doesn't seem to mess with the weld.
    Last edited by dugndeep; 02-17-2013 at 09:20 AM.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

What is the minimum amps needed to weld aluminum?About the wire feed on this welder,I set it on 10 and it really spits out some wire.4 or 5 setting is all you will need to weld steel with.On the chart inside the wirefeed door,5 is the highest setting on there.Campbell Hausfeld make an aluminum welding kit for these welders, it includes teflon liner, wire and drive roller.I'm just wondering if it could be done with this welder.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Been watching the video on youtube"Welding aluminum without a spool gun".He's using a 120 amp mig welder with a teflon liner, .030 wire, a one size larger tip and argon gas and getting good results.He's pushing instead of pulling to get a better gas coverage.I thought of just buying another 8 foot gun and the Aluminum welding kit so I could just switch out guns instead of going thru the trouble of switching liners,and try my hand at welding aluminum.I got a friend who has a little 20 pound tank with argon in it who says I can borrow it whenever I want as long as I fill it back up(I offered to buy it but he won't sell it to me).I was just wondering whether this would be the way to go or just to go the spool gun route.I'm going to go and do a little research and see which way would be the cheapest and easiest.

Gun cost $70.95 and the aluminum kit cost$43.39 from ToolpartsDirect.com
    Last edited by dugndeep; 03-26-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Quote Originally Posted by dugndeep View Post
    .... .I'm going to go and do a little research and see which way would be the cheapest and easiest.
    Sounds like you've already done the research.

Years ago I had a buddy that cut down a whip to 6' for his suitecase welder, and that was his aluminum set-up. Right or wrong, it worked for him.

I'd say you're never gonna REALLY know until you buy the liner and try it.
    Lincoln SA 200
    Esab Caddy 160
    Thermal Arc 201TS
    Miller Dialarc HF

I don't like making plans for the day because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around the courtroom....

Quote Originally Posted by dubl_t View Post
    Sounds like you've already done the research.

Years ago I had a buddy that cut down a whip to 6' for his suitecase welder, and that was his aluminum set-up. Right or wrong, it worked for him.

I'd say you're never gonna REALLY know until you buy the liner and try it.
    I got my research done so quick I was able to edit my post.I googled Campbell Hausfeld mig welder parts and was able to find the prices rather quickly,I thought Ereplacement parts would have them but not for my welder.If it doesn't work I will have a new gun or parts ,whichever is needed first I reckon.
    It appears on the video that you have to push pretty quick,it would definitely take some practice to get used to moving that quick.
    Last edited by dugndeep; 03-26-2013 at 07:20 PM.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

The one thing I would have liked for it to have is a "fan only" setting on the switch for cool down after welding.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

I got a Grizzly Spring Sales flyer in an e-mail yesterday and it has the Maxus 140 for $350 + $49 dollars shipping and the 180 for $399.95 and $49 shipping.The 180 has a 30% duty cycle at 130 amps.They both include a dual gauge regulator and hose and have the 5-3-1 warranty.Just thought I would put that out there.I haven't used my 125 a whole lot but it seems worthy for what I payed for it.I still got to get a dedicated power supply wire run to my garage because I can only go up to the 3rd voltage setting on my or it will kick the breaker.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

I wanted to clarify that the Maxus and the Campbell Hausfeld Pro Mig 125's don't come with a dual gauge gas regulator.In one of my pics it show a regulator but that regulator I already had.A friend bought a Lincoln 140 in which it came with a regulator but he already had a good one so he gave that one to me,it is a Harris 601.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Almost had a diaster,I got my welder sitting on a service cart and the sides on the top shelf are 4" high.So to check to see how much wire I have left,I have to lean my welder back so as to get the side door open.I was standing in front of the service cart when I tried to lean the welder back to open the side door and it got top heavy on me and started to flip off the other side.I wasn't prepared either because I had the gun in my right hand so I had to just dropped it and try to catch my welder.I caught the side door with my left hand but was such a hard catch it broke the back hinge.They are plastic like the older Lincoln welders have.I figured it would be a hassle to get a replacement,I had seen one on Ebay for a lincoln welder,they look identical.So I dug out my owner's manual and got the phone number for Campbell Hausfeld and called them up.The lady on the other end was real polite and helpful.I told her what had happened and to my surprise the only info she needed was the model number and my name and address and she said she would get the hinge out to me as soon as possible.I was prepared to pay for it.Another surprise,2 days later I got a small box from Campbell Hausfeld with 2 hinges in it.The 2 hinges they sent me looked better made so I just switched both of them out.So now I have a extra hinge in case something like that happens again.I figured it would be a hassle trying to find the hinge but it was no hassle at all. Makes me feel better about buying this welder instead of spending another $200 and getting one of the other 3.I tried to super glue the hinge but was just too much weight on such a small area for the glue to hold.Don't have much luck gluing stuff anyway.Long story short,great product support,so far anyways.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Both the hinges in the picture came with the welder,the replacements have longer round pins plus are threaded so as to add a screw to hold them.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

I'm so glad I bought a made in USA welder.I have a repair center about 20 miles away that I can take it to if anything serious ever happens plus it has the 5-3-1 warranty.I have a friend who bought a made in China 135,when you try to weld,it will start out fine but then it will just stop,I mean everything,it just stops feeding wire,fan stops,it just shuts down almost like it's getting hot but the light doesn't come on.It supposedly has a 1 year warranty and he has tried to call the number if there is a problem but all he gets is an answering machine.Lesson learned the hard way.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

I actually thought about getting the Hobart 125 but the cheap plastic drive killed that notion.The drive on the Hobart 125 is not the same as what's on Hobart 140 & 180.
    Like I said earlier,I put alot of thought into getting the Hobart 125,not the 125 EZ,but the Handler mig ready 125, but the wire drive killed that notion,there's nothing wrong with it and I'm sure it works just fine but Hobart could have made it like the 140's and the 180's wire drive.Here's a pic of the drive unless they upgraded it.The gun hooks up similiarly to the Harbor Freight ones,another thing I didn't like about it.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Would it hurt to unplug the gas solenoid for now until I get a bottle of gas?It's just opening and closing for no reason right now using flux core wire or just let it keep opening and closing just to keep it working.I have the outside hook-up capped off so no dirt or dust can get into it.
    Last edited by dugndeep; 07-02-2013 at 09:52 AM. Reason: more
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

I see Northern has the Reconditioned Maxus 125 for $169 & the 140 for $229 but seriously,I wouldn't buy anything that has been reconditioned.The 1 review says his gas valve isn't working & that further explains why I wouldn't buy a reconditioned welder.They might fix whatever was broken but that doesn't fix the other things that are on the verge of breaking.I think Grizzly still has this welder for $250 brand new.Campbell Hausfeld has quit branding the Maxus line and just has the Campbell Hausfeld line in the welder department.The welders are exactly the same with just different labeling.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Getting ready to put a longer ground lead on my welder,12 foot or 15 foot and maybe going up in gauge size say as 6 gauge up to 4 gauge.I just get tired of sometimes having to step over it or unhook it.The 8 foot gun lead is alright because I always hang it back on the welder in between welds.I was just wondering if going up in size to say 4 gauge instead of 6 gauge like it has now would matter.I'm going to have to buy new connectors for both ends anyway but would the bigger size hurt in anyway to how it welds now?Its only a few dollars difference in price on Ebay.Gotta figure it takes a foot or two just to get out the front of the welder so a 12 footer would leave about ten foot and a 15 footer would leave about 13 foot from the front of the welder.I just don't know about the electrical sense of using a bigger gauge wire for the ground.I know everybody is going to say bigger is better but in actuality,could it hurt the welder in anyway,I definitely don't want to do that.I'm looking at the TEMco welding cable on Ebay and it says for the 15 foot 6 gauge, maximum amps is 115 and it costs $20.25 with free shipping and the 15 foot 4 gauge carries a maximum of 150 amps and costs $23.60 with free shipping.The outside diameter's are for the 6 -.320 and the 4 -.348 so I don't see that as mattering much as to the routing thru the front thru the holders so any input would be welcome pertaining to the electrical side.I'm just wondering if the longer and bigger gauge run would effect the arcing in anyway.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Only thing it might change is if the factory ground is copper clad aluminum vs straight copper straight copper might weld a bit better

I'm going to have to forget about doing anything right now because the clutch has gone out on my tractor.I was pushing snow Saturday morning and was done with a driveway and it just stop moving.Like to have never got that thing back up the hill to the barn.I'm going to have to get it in the barn and break it in half to get to the clutch,it has the 2 stage clutch.I've had it separated before to replace the pilot bearing,since I got it separated I might as well replace that and maybe the throw out bearing too.John Deere wants $430 for the clutch plate but I'm hoping to get it elsewhere for about $260.pilot bearing is $22 and the throw-out bearing is $288 from John Deere but hoping to get it elsewhere for $125.I'm glad it happened now I guess instead of later on in the spring during planting season.Should be straight forward repair because I don't have to take apart the PTO assembly,no adjusting of anything except getting the drive clutch aligned.The drive clutch is no. 25 down at the bottom on the diagram.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Got the tractor back together Sunday and works as it should,clutch a little tight but will wear in after a little use.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Getting ready to put a longer ground lead on my welder,12 foot or 15 foot and maybe going up in gauge size say as 6 gauge up to 4 gauge.I just get tired of sometimes having to step over it or unhook it.The 8 foot gun lead is alright because I always hang it back on the welder in between welds.I was just wondering if going up in size to say 4 gauge instead of 6 gauge like it has now would matter.I'm going to have to buy new connectors for both ends anyway but would the bigger size hurt in anyway to how it welds now?Its only a few dollars difference in price on Ebay.Gotta figure it takes a foot or two just to get out the front of the welder so a 12 footer would leave about ten foot and a 15 footer would leave about 13 foot from the front of the welder.I just don't know about the electrical sense of using a bigger gauge wire for the ground.I know everybody is going to say bigger is better but in actuality,could it hurt the welder in anyway,I definitely don't want to do that.I'm looking at the TEMco welding cable on Ebay and it says for the 15 foot 6 gauge, maximum amps is 115 and it costs $20.25 with free shipping and the 15 foot 4 gauge carries a maximum of 150 amps and costs $23.60 with free shipping.The outside diameter's are for the 6 -.320 and the 4 -.348 so I don't see that as mattering much as to the routing thru the front thru the holders so any input would be welcome pertaining to the electrical side.I'm just wondering if the longer and bigger gauge run would effect the arcing in anyway.
    My welder came with 6 awg ground cable so I might go the 4 awg route,should be less resistance right?It's the length I'm wondering about,could be more resistance with the longer length even though I'm going bigger in size.Getting ready to pull the trigger, just chomping at the bit on which one to get.I have the hydraulic crimper to crimp the lugs on with so I know that part of the change will be good.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Like I said earlier,I put alot of thought into getting the Hobart 125,not the 125 EZ,but the Handler mig ready 125, but the wire drive killed that notion,there's nothing wrong with it and I'm sure it works just fine but Hobart could have made it like the 140's and the 180's wire drive.Here's a pic of the drive unless they upgraded it.The gun hooks up similiarly to the Harbor Freight ones,another thing I didn't like about it.
    Here's a pic of the Hobart 140's wire drive unit,look's so much beefier plus it's all metal.Now if the Hobart 125 had this wire drive I probably would have bought it instead of the Maxus but the more I use the Maxus the more I like it.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Added 6 rubber feet to the bottom to keep from scratching up my cart shelf.These welder's do come with a metal liner not plastic like some of the other's.Plus the gun is Tweco compatable so all tip's and nozzle's will work.I use a Lincoln flux core nozzle since I'm only running flux core at the time.I'm running Hobart .035 flux core wire but am going to try some other brands out there.Been looking at the INE wire made in Italy,some say it's good wire and they like it better than Lincoln or Hobart plus it's cheaper.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

I finally settled on the Royal/Excelene 4 awg ground cable.I got 12 foot of it off fleabay with 2- 4 awg-5/16th tinned copper lugs w/free shipping for $16.I can't believe how flexible it is.I usually just put whatever I'm welding on in the vise and just hook the ground cable clamp to the vise but would have to step over the cable or unhook it to get to the grinder,I need a good welding table. Got the lugs crimped on with my hydraulic crimper.They make a perfect hexagon crimp as you can see in the pic.Now I just need something to weld on.I hate to just waste wire for nothing,need a project or a repair.
    Maxus Pro-125 Mig
    O/A torch
    M/O mini-torch
    10 acres of flatland
    15 acres of holler

Looks like a good little rig...altho I'll never be able to grasp a wire machine without a gas bottle hooked to it.It's like a stick welder with a reeeeeeeeeally long stick and only 100 amps.
    Bubble gum
    Tooth pix
    Duct tape
    Black glue
    GBMF hammer
    Screw gun --bad battery (see above)