Welding on a cast aluminum transmission case
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Welding on a cast aluminum transmission case

Going to try and repair a coworkers bell housing, wondering if might be better served by using my spoolmatic spray arc gun or use my syncrowave for it.

Thanks.

Re: Welding on a cast aluminum transmission case

I have welded Chevy bell housings with good results, I usually clamp the part down to a flat thick plate and tack it in several places, Use a die grinder with a wide fluted
    burr and make a groove about 1/2 to 3/4 wide almost all the way through (Pen)
    and use an angle head sander and smooth out the casting on both sides of your groove maybe 3/8 so you will have nice clean parent metal to weld......Using 4043
    and around 170 amps (Depending on what welder your using Transformer or inverter) weld up your groove making sure its clamped good.......You can weld the inside if you want ( I didn't) depending on where it cracked you should be good to go ..........Pics would help

Miller Dynasty 350
    Twenty Six Hammers
    Two English Springer Dogs
    Three Crow Bars

Big Rock

I didn't get into steps of welding because I assume you know what your doing.....For sure TIG repair no spray

Miller Dynasty 350
    Twenty Six Hammers
    Two English Springer Dogs
    Three Crow Bars

Big Rock

Bigshooter, I have had great luck with tig welding them. I would not spool gun these at all. Get everything very clean!! then clean it again.wire brush groove with die grinder. I warm the parts up with a torch to cook the oil and grease out of the area to be welded. Clean with acetone and warm with torch again and weld it up.

Thanks guys.... I've spray arc'd cast plate before with good results... was just wondered if anyone had tried it on a normal casting.

I've TIG welded all the bell housings I've had to repair. I stop drill the crack with a 1/8" drill and then vee out the crack with an aluminum burr in a die grinder just about all the way through then grind any uglies off the back side and weld that too.
    If its really nasty a torch is great for burning the last bit of crud out of the crack and getting a little heat into the part.

Quote Originally Posted by power View Post
    Bigshooter, I have had great luck with tig welding them. I would not spool gun these at all. Get everything very clean!! then clean it again.wire brush groove with die grinder. I warm the parts up with a torch to cook the oil and grease out of the area to be welded. Clean with acetone and warm with torch again and weld it up.
    What do you use to heat it, propane or oxy/acet?