How to "cure" flashburn
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How to "cure" flashburn

I know all the ways to prevent flashburn but how can i help "cure" it. I know flashburn isnt cureable but how can i help lessen the pain. Ive heard many rumors with the potatoes but what really works?

Re: How to "cure" flashburn

See your ophthalmologist (NOT optometrist). You only get one set of eyes. There is a pretty good risk of infection if you put things in your eye, like potato (yes, a lot of people do recommend this) or Visine (which is an antihistimine, but also contains some pain killer), etc. Main problems are putting in things that carry infectious matter and masking the pain and symptoms of infection when it can be treated without causing permanent damage.

So go to a ophthalmologist BEFORE I put anything (visine) in my eyes?

The ophthalmologist will be able to a) give you the good stuff, b) minimize the risk of infection, make sure that there is no damage other than to the cornea (damage to the retina, for example, from IR or blue light) and d) minimize the risk of permanent damage/scarring to the cornea (minimal risk from a single occurrence, but still a risk) There are other risks as well.

The risk of permanent damage from a single occurrence of flash burn is pretty minimal, but there is a risk.

Anything you put in the eye before going may mask things the opth. needs to see.

I n England you can go to a eye hospital they check your eyes and put a pain killer in for free it is most important you have it checked out as you only one set of eyes.

Dont think this is a joke ,it has worked for me,Slice a peeled potato length ways 1/4" or so +/- 1/16" slices >>lay down & place 2 sliced potatos on both eyes pressing down,wait for a 1/2 hr. the dampness of the potato will draw out the heat from eyes,also try soaking some milk in the eyes, just a try,,

YES GOOOOOOOOO SEE THE EYE GUY
    visine only makes things worst

Last time I got flashed bad I picked up some stuff at the pharmacy. I cant remeber the name but its not like visine, its a thick goop made for burns/scratches on your eyes. You wont see to good for a while but it takes the pain away instantly and keeps your eyes from getting infected or further irritated. anything made for allergies like visine is pointless.

Im sure if you go to the pharmacy and look around you can find it or something similar.

I've herd potatos work, but the hell with home remedies just get some dang medicine and stop trying to be a hippy.
    I like to party!

It's name is Pontocaine and it used to be sold by prescription only. It's good. After a couple of drops you can stick your finger in your eye and not feel it. Don't let anyone stand close to you when you put it in your eye as you may run over them. It hurts like a SOB for about 15 seconds or so and then everything is OK for two or three hours.

A bottle of Jim Beam, and hopefully you pass out. The only way is to get the good drops from the Dr.
    Disclaimer; "I am just an a$$hole welder, don't take it personally ."

Quote Originally Posted by TozziWelding View Post
    A bottle of Jim Beam, and hopefully you pass out. The only way is to get the good drops from the Dr.
    I tend to like this the best for any pain.

Quote Originally Posted by TozziWelding View Post
    Yes, Whiskey the good Ol' American Cureall!
    Patriot Performance Auto
    Lincoln Power Mig 255C
    Lincoln AC-225 Stick
    Victor Journeyman O/A
    Quincy QT-5 Compressor

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    It's name is Pontocaine and it used to be sold by prescription only. It's good. After a couple of drops you can stick your finger in your eye and not feel it. Don't let anyone stand close to you when you put it in your eye as you may run over them. It hurts like a SOB for about 15 seconds or so and then everything is OK for two or three hours.
    Yeah, that's the good stuff! My old boss had some and give me a little bit in a visine bottle, I used to burn mine pretty regular but not in a few years now. The potatoes never worked for me but a cold rag over the eyes helps for a few minutes.
    Dewayne
    Dixieland Welding

MM350P
    Lincoln 100
    Some torches
    Other misc. tools

Flash burn in the eyes..

If there is flourecent lites that you can see where it happens?..

Stare at them after the arc flash for a minute or two..No Blinking
    You won't have the sandpaper eyes at night..

I don't know how it "works" but it does..

Learned that 35 yrs ago..
    Yup it does work!

...zap!

I am not completely insane..
    Some parts are missing

Professional Driver on a closed course....
    Do not attempt.

Jeeze zap I just looked at the fluorescents in my room for only 10 seconds and the trip out and get a beautiful white color, and my easy feel better after being on the computer for awhile.

Crazy true story.

Or remember how it happened and don't do it no more! Seriously the first job I evr had truly welding I got it the first day there. It was the welder behind of me. When he would strike an arc it would reflect off the inner lense and right into my eyes. Now I make sure to not have any welding happen behind me unless there is a curtain.

That was the first and last time I've gotten it and don't expect it to happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by enlpck View Post
    See your ophthalmologist (NOT optometrist). You only get one set of eyes. There is a pretty good risk of infection if you put things in your eye, like potato (yes, a lot of people do recommend this) or Visine (which is an antihistimine, but also contains some pain killer), etc. Main problems are putting in things that carry infectious matter and masking the pain and symptoms of infection when it can be treated without causing permanent damage.
    Pardon me, enlpck, but Visine (as named) does not contain antihistamine products, and none of the several varieties of Visine contains pain killer (anesthetics).

If someone experiences flash burn, it is probably just as easy to ask the pharmacist what he or she would recommend, such an eye drop containing polyvinyl alcohol, which is what I used most of the time to treat flash burns of the cornea. BTW, if you think you should see a doctor, most optometrists, today, are well versed in evaluating and treating flash burns. Rest, with the eyes closed, is the primary treatment... the lining of the inside of the eyelids, being the best bandage for eyes. Aspirin can be taken for pain. Even some opththalmologists can't seem to figure out how to treat simple injuries to the cornea.
    Regards, Weldordie, O.D.

You have to be very careful what you put in your eyes. I had a size 5 starter in a control panel blow up in my face and all I could see for about 10 minutes was a big Orange ball. Later that night my eyes started burning and my wife wanted to put some of the medicine she got from her doctor in my eyes. She hadn't used it all and thought it would be good for my eyes. We hadn't been married long and since she thought she was doing a good thing I let her put the medicine in my eyes.

I woke up about 1:00 am and I was blind as a bat. I couldn't even open my eyes with my fingers. My wife had to call my father to help get me to the emergency room. The doctor in the emergency room said the medicine was about like pouring salt in my eyes. When I got over it I told my wife she could play nurse but no more playing doctor. No more prescribing medicine

"That's why VISINE-A® contains a powerful antihistamine to help relieve the itching, plus a special ingredient to alleviate redness."

http://www.brands2liveby.com/brand.aspx?id=269

"Formerly Ocuhist®

Antihistamine to relieve itchy eyes
    Relieves redness"

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp12344_33...ever_drops.htm

"Eye allergy relief.
    Sterile.
    Pheniramine Maleate 0.3%.
    Naphazoline Hydrochloride 0.025%.
    Antihistamine to relieve itchy eyes.
    Relieves redness.
    Temporarily relieves itchy, red eyes due to:"

http://www.walgreens.com/beauty/prod...=0&id=prod1710

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    "That's why VISINE-A® contains a powerful antihistamine to help relieve the itching, plus a special ingredient to alleviate redness."

http://www.brands2liveby.com/brand.aspx?id=269

"Formerly Ocuhist®

Antihistamine to relieve itchy eyes
    Relieves redness"

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp12344_33...ever_drops.htm

"Eye allergy relief.
    Sterile.
    Pheniramine Maleate 0.3%.
    Naphazoline Hydrochloride 0.025%.
    Antihistamine to relieve itchy eyes.
    Relieves redness.
    Temporarily relieves itchy, red eyes due to:"

http://www.walgreens.com/beauty/prod...=0&id=prod1710
    The relevancy of your post is not clear (no pun intended). Would you mind offering some explanation?
    Thanks.

Seemed pretty clear to me....

The relevancy of your post is not clear (no pun intended). Would you mind offering some explanation?
    Thanks.
    Visine was mentioned previously in the thread. That's the relavancy.

I see the branded "Visine" does in fact advertise Antihistamine as contents. I would guess they must be in there for anyone who wishes antihistamines for their eye ailments.

Quote Originally Posted by TEK View Post
    Seemed pretty clear to me....
    I suppose it's "clear" to someone who is not familiar with the differences in formulations of medicines, and their intended effects, but it's still not clear to me. Perhaps, you can explain it to me... but, then again I suppose not.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy View Post
    Visine was mentioned previously in the thread. That's the relavancy.

I see the branded "Visine" does in fact advertise Antihistamine as contents.
    That's why I questioned the relevancy. I think the discussion was about treating flash burn, but treating with antihistamines would not be an informed choice.

I would guess they must be in there for anyone who wishes antihistamines for their eye ailments.
    If you really have to guess about the use of eye meds, perhaps you should not be offering suggestions about their use. Probably, best left to someone who has studied and used medications to treat eye injuries and diseases.

In a previous post you stated, "That's why VISINE-A® contains a powerful antihistamine to help relieve the itching, plus a special ingredient to alleviate redness." But, that statement is not correct. "Visine-A" does have an antihistamine, but it is combined a vasodilator, which is just the opposite from a vasoconstrictor ("...to alleviate redness..."), which you claim it contains.

While I can understand your wanting to get the information out there... posting misinformation is not in the best interest of the purpose of these boards, especially when it involves treatment of eye injuries or disease.
    Last edited by Weldordie; 03-22-2008 at 03:45 AM.

Stare at them after the arc flash for a minute or two..No Blinking
    You won't have the sandpaper eyes at night..

At least you need a bed to view the light tube... it cost more then the welding rig... just a thought... I try the stare and it work... Thanks zap.

No... I dont have bed more than a US$1000 in fact its US$100
    Unit in my fab shop dept:
    my good hand and team that trust me...

A lone welder make art... a village full of welder make Miracles...