cwi test
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: cwi test

cwi test

i really thinking about taking this cwi test in november. i've done some research and orderd some books. but does anybody have any tips on studying for it what parts do i really need to read carfully?

Re: cwi test

I suggest taking the test on the API 1104 code rather than the AWS D1.1, it is a much smaller/easier code, and it doesn't matter which code you choose, you get the same CWI. I've been in welding since 1978, and have learned some about API, AWS, and ASME codes, but never really had to work with the codes. My company sponsered an onsite week long class for the CWI exam, and even with this class, my experience, and brilliant mind , I was supprised how many questions I missed. It seems that the wording of the questions is very tricky. What really ticks me off is that AWS does not tell you which questions you missed, so you cannot learn the correct answers. Thankfully I did pass, but must say, it kink of tough. Don't know what it costs, but you may consider the week long class if you want to pass the first time. Good luck.

i have to disagree with pulser. you probably want to test to the code you work to. if you want the easiest way to test, it would be to AWS D1.1. this code is so well indexed, it is reason enough to use it. seminars can be helpful if you have the money. i did not go to one and passed the first time. as far as study material i would suggest the "certification manual for welding inspectors" by AWS and AWS A2.4 (welding symbols). also, tab your code (D1.1) by chapter, main tables, and index. the intent of the seminar is to bring all of the knowledge to the surface. a refresher. make sure you have studied and are proficient prior to the seminar. you don't need to know anything out of the code, just have the ability to find a reference quickly. pay attention to footnotes.

Here's some stuff from when I took a CWI prep cource as part of my degree:

The second page of this file lists he breakdown of the exam (what's covered and how much it's worth):
    (It's a 2.1 MB file, so you probably want to right-click and save as...)
    Click here for PDF file.

Here is a simulated exam that I took, it should give you an idea of what the real exam is like. All the correct answers are circled (except for #40, I missed that one, the correct answer is C):
    (It's a 12 MB file, so you probably want to right-click and save as...)
    Click here for PDF file.

I took the exam and passed.
    it is a 6 hour exam.
    It cost $1300 about 10 years ago.
    You REALLY need to go to the week long class because when you pay the money you get many materials need for the exam.
    The instructor goes over all of the materials and you go home at night and put plastic tabs on the various section s of the code book.
    This is important because you need to be able to look up things quickly.
    the test is devided into two parts. The practical exam which involves looking at plastic welding samples AND a multiple chice question part which you awnswer as many of the questions as you can. You have to get a certain percentage to pass the exam.

It is a great learning experience and the materials that you get are first rate.

The AWS has taken it upon themselves to become sort of a clearing house but the only thing I do not like is that if you apply for a job and an engineer applies who took this test but never actually has welded ANYTHING will get the job and you will still be last in line unless the company hiring really does need a welder and not just someone to conduct WPS testing and setup.
    i mean really if you were hiring who would you want? An engineer with an engineering degree who could possibly weld OR a welder who is not an engineer? Maybe if it is a big job the company would hire both. But the pay sure would not be the same.

thank you guys for the info that was the most helpful tips i've gotten!

trich Guest

I have been a gtaw and smaw welder for several years in a oil refinery and recently completed the Hobart School for CWI, it was a 2 week siminar followed by the AWS CWI test. I highly recommend this school as from what I hear is one of the best in the nation. The 9 day class was 8 hours per day and I stuided 4-5 hours each night and 10 hours on the weekend. I feel I was well prepped for the test and completed it successfully. At 53 years of age I do not believe the 1 week siminar would have been enough for me but the 2 week was. Your test is computer generated from many questions to come up with the 150 question on the general and our test must have been hard because only 12 of us out of 28 passed. I thought the Part B was extremely difficult as if I would haved missed 2 more questions I would have failed. Some of the guys who were making high 80% and low 90% on the quizes failed.......study hard and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Branscom View Post
    i mean really if you were hiring who would you want? An engineer with an engineering degree who could possibly weld OR a welder who is not an engineer? Maybe if it is a big job the company would hire both. But the pay sure would not be the same.
    As an engineer who can weld also, I'm not sure how to take your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fegenbush View Post
    As an engineer who can weld also, I'm not sure how to take your question.
    What I am saying is that it is not likely that a welder will get hired over an engineer that also has a CWI.

I believe there should be a distinction between the two classifications.

Welder/CWI
    OR
    Engineer/CWI

Otherwise the welder who has a CWI qualification may be not chosen for many jobs. Plus the eye exam.
    The engineer with CWI will get chosen almost every time.

The welder has to have 3 years actual experience welding before taking the CWI exam.
    Does the engineer have to have 3 actual years welding too?
    Otherwise it would have to be a young guy that welded on actual jobs for three years and then went to school to be an engineer ,got an engineering degree, then takes the CWI exam. Then of course you would want to hire that
    person instead of a Welder/CWI.

That person would have a huge advantage over a welder with no engineering degree that
    only has a CWI .See what I mean.

In the marine world though they call welders with no engineering degree, working on a ship, a welding engineer. So how do they fit into this scheme.

Some loose ends here.
    Last edited by Donald Branscom; 03-27-2011 at 09:13 PM.
    AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaiteki View Post
    Here's some stuff from when I took a CWI prep cource as part of my degree:

The second page of this file lists he breakdown of the exam (what's covered and how much it's worth):
    (It's a 2.1 MB file, so you probably want to right-click and save as...)
    Click here for PDF file.

Here is a simulated exam that I took, it should give you an idea of what the real exam is like. All the correct answers are circled (except for #40, I missed that one, the correct answer is C):
    (It's a 12 MB file, so you probably want to right-click and save as...)
    Click here for PDF file.
    I remember that question #40 and thought it was bogus. If you re- read it I think it the answer should be HAZ.
    Wether it is next to the weld, or next to the base metal is silly because it is still between the two.
    Last edited by Donald Branscom; 03-27-2011 at 09:25 PM.
    AWS certified welding inspector
    AWS certified welder

API 1104 is best taken with Hobart or Real educational,,,AWS instructors are dry and dont teach,they only talk,,go with the 10 day Real Education,,trust me,i failed aws twice and passed Real Ed the first time.
    Last edited by swelder112; 04-08-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by swelder112 View Post
    API 1104 is best taken with Hobart or Real educational,,,AWS instructors are dry and dont teach,they only talk,,go with the 10 day Real Education,,trust me,i failed aws twice and passed Real Ed the first time.
    Pretty old thread you dug up here swelder112 , but the PDF link by Tensaiteki is still active for those that might be interested.

Quote Originally Posted by pulser View Post
    It seems that the wording of the questions is very tricky. What really ticks me off is that AWS does not tell you which questions you missed, so you cannot learn the correct answers.
    Doesn't seem like that's a good idea if your mission is to promote learning does it?

Quote Originally Posted by Donald Branscom View Post
    I remember that question #40 and thought it was bogus. If you re- read it I think it the answer should be HAZ.
    Wether it is next to the weld, or next to the base metal is silly because it is still between the two.
    RE: question #40 "When using a welding electrode whose strength matches base the base metal strength, what region of the weld zone generally exhibits the highest hardness?"

Maybe it's a string of text in the test prep materials? It's been forever since I've opened one of the welding handbooks & can't remember if the multiple zones in the HAZ are even covered in really great depth. Anyway it's mostly a trick question as the HAZ is all in the base metal and never got to a liquid state. So I guess I would consider either a (base metal) or c (HAZ next to the weld metal) a valid answer.

Of the 4 zones in the HAZ, the coarse grain band tests the hardest and is right next to what was the liquid puddle.

Matt

Just got on here and dont really know how to navigate to new threads

Matt,,hes only showing sample questions from part b in that article

Just got on here and dont really know how to navigate to new threads
    I'm not doggin' you swelder, I know the feeling, I joined after googling something and it led to the WW. I had to join to use the search function and I spent way too much time and had great fun going back through many old threads... Wisdom left here is timeless & sometimes fun. I also have no problem bumping an old thread to bring a useful topic back up.

Matt,,hes only showing sample questions from part b in that article
    HUH? Ok, I get it, I think...

Welcome aboard;
    Matt

thanks Matt,,it is fun helping these guys trying to move up the ladder,,especially guys thats walked the walk on a rig or a stinger for 10 years or more,,it seems im always at odds with these young CWI,s,,i think a CWI should have some UV hours under his belt,,but honestly i dont mind helping the younger ones to,,its fun to read some of these posts,reminds me when i was a young welder,,and thanks for inviting me aboard my friend,,,Barry

prepare