Welding Cast Iron with 7018 (Video)
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Welding Cast Iron with 7018 (Video)

Goodevening everyone

So, a little while back I picked up this broken in two Chas Parker vise from a local scrap aka "salvage steel" yard and brought it home for a whopping $20. I know, I know, looks like I paid $19 too much but I really wanted to try my hand at welding cast.

I got it home and took a look at it, and discovered my first problem... I'm a cheapskate. Spend $23 on a pack of electrodes for a $20 vise? Naaaa, I'll just use some of this here 3/32" Hobart 7018 thats been sitting in the open air since last may. I fired up my nice little StickWeld 250, set it to 86 amps DCEP (intentionally ran kinda cold) and away I went!

Okay, truth be told the special electrodes weren't going to break me if I shelled out for them, but the main thing is I really wanted to try my hand at welding Cast Iron with 7018. Back in high school, our old teacher gave us an old handout on the electrode before we ran it in the lab, and that handout said that 7018 can be used to weld certain kinds of cast.

So, if anyone's wondering why I'd ever try this... Thats my story and I'm stickin' to it!

All I did was beveled the joint, and tacked it up. It welded like crap but the tacks held. Next stop was the BBQ, then the welding bench. The video tells the story better than I can:

Long story short... I can't believe it held! I put a cheater bar on the handle, and it still held!

Im pretty happy, and I thrilled with my $21 vise lol. Im gonna paint it up and use it.

Hope you guys enjoy the video, happy welding everyone
    a.k.a ChuckE2009 on Youtube

Re: Welding Cast Iron with 7018 (Video)

Annnnd of course, some pictures:

"It ain't purrrdy, but it holds"

I've done some "redneck cast" welding with 7018 & had pretty good results. I dunno much about cast, but for what I know & what I did, it turned out ok.

I did use a nickel 99 rod for the root passes & did a Pre & post heat.

It was for a few cracks that were in the rear cast iron cabinet base of my Monarch lathe. Pretty much cosmetic, but I didn't get much recracking, heard it pop once I think.

I used charcoal for the post heat.

I'm sure there will be much better responses & suggestions than mine. Peter is an artist when it comes to cast.

Gonna watch the rest of the vid now.

Oh, I took care of your double post.
    Last edited by 7A749; 12-01-2012 at 08:09 PM.
    Clueless and perfectly satisfied with it....

Good job. I agree, as long as you are using it to hold things and not for a press you should never have a problem. That should hold from now on unless its abused and misused. Which would probably be the outcome in my shop, LOL.
    Making as much progress as a one legged duck in the middle of a pond, just going in circles.

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.

Lanse if you ever run across one of these for a good price, they work great for peening welds.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    LF-72
    SG Spool gun

LN-25
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200
    PowerArc 300
    3 SA-200s
    1800 Ellis saw
    Powermax 1250, CNC table

Democratic People's Republic of North Koreafornia

Most excellent! Great before and after pics. The after pics were outstanding Lanse! Thank you! I'm gonna have to practice on my wife's cast iron skillet! lol.....
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Forney 95FI-A 301
    HF 91110
    Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

NRA Life Member

I don't think your vise is cast iron but cast steel. If it were cast iron, I don't think it would have worked.

Good save Lanse. As some said already, it may have been cast steel which welds easily. It also could be nodular iron which is much easier to weld than grey iron.
    I've seen the 7018 thing but have never tried it. Lincoln makes a cast iron steel rod that I use on the "cheapo" jobs like that. It will weld through rusty, painted, oily crap. Look it up, I found some for less than three bucks a pound. I use nickel rod for more delicate work.
    As always pre/post heat, length of weld, thickness of part being welded all play a part in your success or failure of a particular weld on cast iron.
    Peter
    Equipment:
    2 old paws
    2 eyes (that don't look so good)
    1 bad back

Figuring the picking points of jelly donuts.

castweld are you talking about Ferroweld?
    http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...on-detail.aspx
    Dynasty 300
    V350-Pro w/pulse
    LF-72
    SG Spool gun

LN-25
    1937 IdealArc-300
    PowerArc 200
    PowerArc 300
    3 SA-200s
    1800 Ellis saw
    Powermax 1250, CNC table

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    castweld are you talking about Ferroweld?
    http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us...on-detail.aspx
    Yup thats the stuff.
    ni99 usually runs about 40 bucs
    ni55 about 25
    Flux on ferroweld is a pain to remove!
    Last edited by castweld; 12-01-2012 at 10:09 PM. Reason: need to add
    Equipment:
    2 old paws
    2 eyes (that don't look so good)
    1 bad back

I have repaired several vises broken in that spot but they were cast steel and no problem to weld. At least one was broken by hammering on it trying to loosen up a part held in the jaws. No I wasn't doing the hammering, I was the one saying "I told you that would break the vise".

Quote Originally Posted by CEP View Post
    Lanse if you ever run across one of these for a good price, they work great for peening welds.
    I have three of them, a little one, a gun style & one like you have pictured.

They are one hell of a useful tool. For a lot of things.

They work great for putting a hammered look on forged metal art.

IMHO of course

Quote Originally Posted by 7A749 View Post
    They work great for putting a hammered look on forged metal art.
    There's a use I hadn't thought of for one of those. I'll have to remember to toss one of mine in the truck the next time I get ready to fire up the forge at the shop.

Do you use them on hot work Steve or cold?

I welded up a big Parker at the tech school with 7018. The kids had absolutely trashed it, so it was more a case of no harm, no foul. Seems to be holding up so far.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    There's a use I hadn't thought of for one of those. I'll have to remember to toss one of mine in the truck the next time I get ready to fire up the forge at the shop.

Do you use them on hot work Steve or cold?
    Both Doug. It depends what kind of finish you want. The hotter the work, the deeper the scaling. If you hit it cold, it tends to put a more shiny, hammered finish on the material. If its red hot, it really beats the crap out of it.

One thing it does do tho is it lifts the material when it's hot. The bigger scalers I have work very well for putting a slightly domed effect on stuff like leaves & other flat pieces. The best effects are had when the metal is in the cooling stages & isn't right out of the forge.

The needles tend to get blunted when the work is really hot too. You kinda just eyeball it & when the scaler is not penetrating deeply enough, it's back into the forge for reheat.

I use a couple old chisels I modified to put lines in workpieces. The scaler, especially the little one washes the sharp lines out a little. & makes them look more natural

Ok, sorry for the hijack Lanse!