Wanted: Chevy 4.3 parts
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Wanted: Chevy 4.3 parts

I am looking for a crank and rods for a Chevy 4.3 (265)v8. These came in 1994-1996 Chevy Caprices and look alot like the 5.7 (350), Anyone with any info would be much appreciated

Thanks, Matt

Re: Wanted: Chevy 4.3 parts

Acxtully that engine is a 262 V-8 and it was built in the 80's and early 90's. A 265 was the original small block Chevy and was only built in 55 to 56.

See if your crank has this forging # on it 354431

Acxtully that engine is a 262 V-8 and it was built in the 80's and early 90's. A 265 was the original small block Chevy and was only built in 55 to 56.

See if your crank has this forging # on it 354431

Well you are right they did make a 265 in 55 and 56 but that came back out in 94, 95, and 96 in the caprices only. This engine is known as a L99 or "baby LT1" because it is externally identical to the 5.7 LT1 but it has a 3" stroke crank just like the 55 and 56 265s did.
    There is the 262 that you mentioned that came out in 75 and 76 only but that had a 3.1" stroke so it wont work for my application. There is also a 267 that came out in 79 and was produced until 82 but again that has a 3.480" stroke so it wont work for me either

Thank you, Matt
    Last edited by Iweld; 03-05-2008 at 01:48 PM.

I take it you are trying to destroke something. I guess what you are looking for is a rare bird. It would probably be easier to find a 302 crank.

But I'll bet that 3" crank in a 400 block with the longest rods you can make fit would run like a raped ape

Exactly, you have it figured out. Basically it will be a "new style" 302, short stroke and big bore = high rpm! I have it figured out, the crank and rods from the 4.3 coupled with standard 350 pistons in a new style 350 block (1 piece rear seal) will net me 302ci and be to the exact same specs as the original 67-69 302s but updated with roller valvetrain and such.
    I have a 283 with a good 3" stroke crank but it is a small journal crank and for old style 2 piece rear seals. This can be retrofitted to work with a seal adapter and bearing spacers but very cost prohibitive! Looking at $350 for the bearings spacers and the adapter, and i can buy a complete 4.3 and get the crank AND rods i need for that!
    So here i am still waiting to find what i need so i can get back to my long awaited 302 project

Matt

It's not a 265 nor did it come out for only the Caprice. It was also in the Malibu and several other cars. It wqas available in the caprice on and off since the 80s with a carb and into the 90s in TBI trim.

It's a 262 4.3 V8....nothing at all to do with the 265

Long stroke and proper size bore=LARGE TORQUE that will win the race against the overrevved chainsaw destrokers! Proper bore:stroke ratio along with proper rod length:bore/stroke ration means the world in determining if an engine will produce power. These ratios mean more than just about anything in performance engine building. You can have the best heads, cam , pistons, fuel/timing management and if these ratios are not correct, you won't get good results.

400 "M" series block with stroker crank. get about 430 CID from a smallblock. You can make as much HP and much more torque without winding it up to 8500 RPM. You don't break parts, you can run pump gas, use a smaller cam and it still makes more power.

After all, horsepower sell cars.....torque wins races.
    Take for example, a 450HP Honda engine. It makes 450HP at 9 grand on boost. The peak torque MIGHT be 225 lbs/ft on a luck day. It breaks part and more parts. Then the guy with a mild V6 Grand National whoops his *** with his "out dated" heavy car with pushrods and only turning 5200 RPM from his dinosaur engine that produces 475 lbs/ft or torque.

....but the destrokers sound cool at RPM, especially with an 8-into-1 equal length/volume header system. Add a 180 degree flat plane crank and now you have some serious wailing sound.

I wonder if I can get a stroker crank and a 4 into 1 header for my F163.