Wards Power Craft 230
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Wards Power Craft 230

WARDS POWER CRAFT 230

I got a line on one for $120 bucks, the pics show it to be very clean.

I have done some reading and googling, it does not sound like their were any major problems with these, are there? Were they made by Lincoln, or am I thinking of something else? Sound like a good deal if it works?

I also have these options wating in the wings, both of them can be picked up today or whenever i get a chance:

A Craftsman "Dual range" 230 amp -- $125
    Lincoln AC225 -- $175

I know the lincoln has been tried and true, it seems to have a great following. I could not find much feedback on the Craftsman welders though.

Thanks

Re: Wards Power Craft 230

I got a hold of the guy with the Lincoln, i am heading out to pick it up in 30 minutes...i should have pics tonight, and if i get time my first welds with a arc machine.

Can't go wrong with a Lincoln. I have a Wards Powercraft 230 I bought in the middle '60s. First welding machine I ever bought. A couple of years later I bought a DC rectifer and put with it. It has never been used on AC since. After 10 or 12 tears the fan started squealing and died. The LWS had one for a Miller which was the same fan. Put it in and never had another problem. Used it just last week.

I just got back, WOW this is clean. The rod holder is spotless, and the machine looks even better!

I went to plug it into our 220 line in the garage, and it uses a different style plug so i wont be doing any welding tonight. Kind of puts a downer on things, but i cant wait until i get the time (whenever that might be) to get some time in on this!

I have an old wards powercraft 230 that I bought at a pawn shop 20 years ago. A few years ago I had to take apart the fan and clean it up. I wouldn't call that a problem just a general upkeep item.

I have 2 of the Lincoln ac 225s, one new and one very old and neither of them welds any better than that power craft oldtimer has. I know because I used it for years. The power craft isn't a tapped machine like the lincoln and that is a plus in my opinion.
    The difference between art and craft is the quality of the workmanship. I am an artist.

Sold mine a couple of years ago so I could get a DC capable stick welder - Miller Thunderbolt. I did like the non-tapped secondary - bullet proof.