Push/Pull Gun?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Thread: Push/Pull Gun?

Push/Pull Gun?

I have seen this term, but not with an explanation. How does a push pull gun differ from a MIG gun like my SP-175T? I have a feeling this is an expensive item and for manufacturing.

Thanks for the replies.

Re: Push/Pull Gun?

With a standard MIG gun there is one set of drive rollers, inside the machine, "pushing" the wire through welding lead up to the torch.

With a push/pull setup there are still rollers in the machine pushing, but there is another set in the torch/gun helping to pull the wire through the lead.

It helps when using a softer filler metal like Aluminum.

You are right, they are not cheap. Inexpensive push-pull guns cost $1000, expensive ones can be as much as $2500. That is only for the gun. The feeder to go along with it usually cost another $2000.

Push-pull pulsed mig is mostly used in manufacturing of aluminum parts cause it's alot faster to do than tig, but the technology is slowly becomming more available to the masses. You can get a push-pull gun with a Millermatic 252 or 350/350P and have a complete push-pull mig setup for $4-5000. That was unheard of just a few years ago. Once you try mig welding aluminum with a push-pull machine, you'll never want to use a spool gun again.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic
    Suitcase12RC/Q300
    Suitcase8RC/Q400
    Passport/Q300

Smith op

Thanks Burnit and DesertRider33! That makes sense, now. I appreciate the responses.

Millers operators manual for the XR feeders gives a really good explanation of how they work. In fact I read it Monday and ordered the feeder Tuesday. The XR can be had new for around $2000 and is the least expensive unit I have seen. I bought a used one for about a fourth of that with a one year warranty on the feeder and the gun. They will run all of the wires that other feeders run including flux core, but if I remember correctly are limited to the smaller diameters. The big plus is that it is a direct hookup to my XMT304 and now all I need is a pulser.
    The difference between art and craft is the quality of the workmanship. I am an artist.

The drive rolls inside the machine operate at a constant torque to get the wire through the cabling.

The drive rolls in the torch operate at a constant speed and provide the actual wirespeed control.

Most of the push-pull guns will feed up to 1/16" wire.
    MM350P/Python/Q300
    MM175/Q300
    DialarcHF

HTP MIG200
    PowCon300SM

Hypertherm380
    ThermalArc185
    Purox oa
    F350CrewCab4x4
    LoadNGo utilitybed
    Bobcat250
    XMT304/Optima/Spoolmatic