How do these work?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

How do these work?

http://www.disappearing-car-door.com/

I thought these were wild.

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Re: How do these work?

I've got a friend that had Lambo doors installed on his Vette, but this looks even cooler!
    America Needs AMERICA'S Oil!!!

"Global warming is the greatest scam in history ...There is no run away climate change. The impact of humans on climate is not catastrophic. Our planet is not in peril."--John Coleman, Founder of The Weather Channel

Quote Originally Posted by steve45 View Post
    I've got a friend that had Lambo doors installed on his Vette, but this looks even cooler!

What are Lambo doors?

Sincerely,

William McCormick

William, that is by far the coolest thing that you have ever posted.

As far as how it works....The narrator pretty much explains it as far as the mods go. Basically, the lower door edge slides in a track towards the center of the floor of the vehicle, while the upper door edge drops vertically, with the door coming to rest under the car. The last step appears to be a trim panel that flips outward and down to conceal the door when "open". Watch the video a few times, you'll get it.

While I am truly impressed, my biggest reservation is: What does the rescuer do in the case of an accident??? Don't know if the jaws of life will work on those seeing as they are so far removed from a conventional door.

Still impressive.
    Later,
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    While I am truly impressed, my biggest reservation is: What does the rescuer do in the case of an accident??? Don't know if the jaws of life will work on those seeing as they are so far removed from a conventional door.

Still impressive.
    I was thinking the same thing, but then I remembered, we're having trouble now, with conventional doors, because of the new high strength steels and alloys. That being said, when I look at that, it looks fairly simple, cut the "A" pillars and "C" pillars and since there are no remaining "B" pillars, the roof will lift right off. The way I figure it, once I take the jaws off the rig, that car's totalled, so I might as well make it as easy as I can to get that patient out. Besides that, I enjoy removing the roof from a car every now and then, just wish it didn't have to involve someone getting hurt first.
    Contact me for any metal polishing needs you may have, my avatar is a pic of a standard, painted fire axe that I ground, sanded polished and buffed to a mirror finish.

Quote Originally Posted by boatbuoy View Post

From that website:

More Photos Description:

Description:
    Includes:

2 gas shocks

2 VDC hinges (one for each side)

All mounting hardware

* Original Doors for Chevy's are Welded on
    * This kit is a Direct Bolt on self tap and drill kit
    * Professional installation is recommended
    Price? ONLY $1,299!

I'm in the wrong business... $1,299 for 2 gas shocks and 2 hinges.
    Miller Econotig
    Cutmaster 38

Yes ma'am, that IS a screwdriver in my pocket!

Do you suppose that's an old video? Who would spend the bucks on a Mark VIII; they're a junker now.

Neat for a show car; but probably not practical in the real world. I'm sure that taking out the B pillar and original latch post, wipes out side impact protection. Also, when exiting, an open door is a nice warning to traffic.

Somewhere between the Kaiser-Darrin's sliding door, and the '71-'76 big GM wagon "clamshell" tail gates.

Still impressive!

I've opened doors like that... but they never closed again!!

Watching the video all I could think of was that it's the same basic idea of the suicide doors on my fathers '66 4 door Lincoln Continental. Monster doors that open almost out of the way completely. Neat video.

Quote Originally Posted by txfireguy2003 View Post
    The way I figure it, once I take the jaws off the rig, that car's totalled, so I might as well make it as easy as I can to get that patient out. Besides that, I enjoy removing the roof from a car every now and then, just wish it didn't have to involve someone getting hurt first.
    Most of the rescue guys I know live to break the windows, and cut the roof! I really wondered if they actually know how a door works and what its used for!

Quote Originally Posted by DSW View Post
    Most of the rescue guys I know live to break the windows, and cut the roof!
    Or, when a car is just starting to burn; instead of pulling the hood release, insist on burying an axe through the hood latch area.

Once that's done, the hood will never open again; all you can do is watch the car burn up.

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    Or, when a car is just starting to burn; instead of pulling the hood release, insist on burying an axe through the hood latch area.

Once that's done, the hood will never open again; all you can do is watch the car burn up.
    Hey, they have to practice on something! They have to make sure it's really going to burn and someone doesnt accidentally put it out. Just kidding, I'd like to take this opportunity to thank all the volunteer firefighters, those of you who get paid well, that's different. I do notice that more volunteer firefighters seem to show up for vehicle extrications and house fires than show up for downed powerlines and grill fires. Hmmm... I wonder if it's because they get to break more things for those.

Someone on another forum, actually caught this.

"We work with the finest and most experienced coach builders in the US and Europe, ensuring that your car will be manufactured to the highest quality, reliability and safety standards, including a manual override for car door operation."

Sincerely,

William McCormick

Quote Originally Posted by William McCormick Jr View Post

Someone on another forum, actually caught this.

"We work with the finest and most experienced coach builders in the US and Europe, ensuring that your car will be manufactured to the highest quality, reliability and safety standards, including a manual override for car door operation."

Sincerely,

William McCormick
    Probably involves crawling under the car and manually cranking a bolt with a 3/8"ths ratchet that takes 2 hours each side
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Runner
    MillerMatic 180 AutoSet
    Victor O/A (80cf)

Quote Originally Posted by Black Wolf View Post
    William, that is by far the coolest thing that you have ever posted.

As far as how it works....The narrator pretty much explains it as far as the mods go. Basically, the lower door edge slides in a track towards the center of the floor of the vehicle, while the upper door edge drops vertically, with the door coming to rest under the car. The last step appears to be a trim panel that flips outward and down to conceal the door when "open". Watch the video a few times, you'll get it.

Still impressive.
    I couldn't agree more.
    Miller DVI2
    Lincoln Precision Tig 225
    Thermodynamics Cutmaster 38
    Everything else needed.

Tis hard to have the door on a frequent used 4X4... mud problem methink... but a sedan would be a good choice with the disappearing act... impress the girls...

Wonder if LAPD would consider that door in a gun fight...
    Unit in my fab shop dept:
    my good hand and team that trust me...

A lone welder make art... a village full of welder make Miracles...

Quote Originally Posted by westlawn5554x View Post
    Tis hard to have the door on a frequent used 4X4... mud problem methink... but a sedan would be a good choice with the disappearing act... impress the girls...

Wonder if LAPD would consider that door in a gun fight...
    My Wrangler has better doors for wheelin' - NONE!

Quote Originally Posted by westlawn5554x View Post
    ...impress the girls...
    Plus, they can't figure out how to get out...

thats is f***ing awsome they should put this on all cars to stop ignorant people from dooring your nice paint job!!!!!! Downside Just more mechanical/electrical problems will follow! expecially in the winter ice and salt on the tracks

Firefighters,
    Where I live, they are the only people that do more damage than the fire. When I was younger our shop was set on fire. The FD was called, and we had the fire out before they showed up thanks to my father, extignuishers, and a garden hose. They showed up, smashed every window open ( great idea to let oxygen back in BTW ) and tore the heck out of the shop, destroyed thousands in aircraft parts etc. etc. To add insult to injury, they were overheard joking about "smashing the he**" of of the place, and one said it was a great way to relieve stress to be able to "swing an axe and break some s**t". After that incident I have ZERO respect for the city FD in my hometown. Hate to say it but from my view, they are nothing but a bunch of testosteone enraged ex-jocks. Funny thing though is the rural volunteer FD here seems to be a whole other story, they actually TRY to preserve and protect property, and overall seem a lot smarter.
    -Aaron

P.S. BTW there is no insurance that covers aircraft parts not part of a flyable aircraft, so yes it does matter that they destroyed all the parts as it came out of our pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Plus, they can't figure out how to get out...
    I just take the inside door handles off on the passenger side of my dually extracab pickup. Helps keep the "passengers" inside where they are warm and safe. While they're looking around to find where the candy is hidden, I'm speeding away from the school.