What diameter welding cable?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

What diameter welding cable?

Hi all,

I've just come back from Europe where I used to supply welding cables for Miller 400x and Miller 500x welders. they are 300amp and 400 amp at 60 percent respectively. The welding cables required were 70mm (2.75inch) in diameter.

My question is what would be the equivalent in the US? the AWG system's got me all confused and wherever I look on the net it only seems to go up to 14mm diameter ( http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/aw...uge-d_731.html )

I'd apreciate some help

Thanks,

Jim

Re: What diameter welding cable?

Altho the American wire gauge goes up to 6/0, 4/0 (0000) is where most charts quit. After that they get into what they now call kcmil. Basicalli circular mil. Used to be called CM on small cables and MCM for large cables. Now it's kcmil for large cables.

Plenty of charts under MCM for just plain size comparisons tho. For high current welding cables beyond 4/0 you're probably getting into specialty charts not common enough for the internet.

http://www.csgnetwork.com/wiresizeme...oawgtable.html

A 2 3/4" dia. welding cable on a 300-400 amp machine??? I would like to meet the guy that drug them around! Depending on length this shouldent require more than 2/0 cables.

berberman, are you sure you don't mean 70mm2. cable's rated in cross sectional area in the UK not diameter

lars, that is what I thought when I read the post. 2 3/4" cable! I would like to see the guy that used it.

I've used a lot of 400 amp machines even larger ones as well up to 1000 amps. All had 4 aught on them and had no problems. 4/0 is rated 400 amps at 100 feet at 100% duty cycle.
    The difference between art and craft is the quality of the workmanship. I am an artist.

It is 70mm2 indeed. So it's equivalent to a 2/0!

Thanks for the answers!