My Chinese expireince
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

My Chinese expireince

I am a hobbyist and read about the 3 in 1 mutli function chinese units on ebay for several weeks. I finanly ordered one about a month ago and heres my expriencne so far :

the seller on ebay had 100% postive feedback and the unit was a Simadre 416 for $499 shipped { from China even though the ebay seller was listed as living in California }

the unit took a few days longer to get here, but the seller sent me free consumables to make up for the slight delay. It was packaged well and all components were unharmed in shipping.

Negatives :

some of the chinese hose clamps are chessy so I went with american made clamps. The air regulator has a small air leak around the plastic bowl area where it threads on. Wehn using the plasma cutter today, it started to only work intermitnently. I found out that a small metal pin in the thumb trigger had backed out of its hole a bit and wasnt allowing the thumb trigger to make contact to kick the plasma cutter on. I pushed the pin back in and epoxied it and the problem has now been permanently fixed. Finally, the instruction manual isnt very good but anyone with a bit of common sense can figure out how to setup the unit { there is a troubleshooting guide in the back of the manaul to try and help diagnose any problems that may arise, but its mostly a joke.

Postives :

Ive used this unit for about a month now and have used the plasma cutter and stick welder for :

7-8 gauge flat plate steel

12-14 gauge galvanized steel culvert

sheet metal roofing.

I have built a woodstove, welding cart and am in the process of building a large underground steel culvert storm shelter. The unit has performed nicely and if it performs this nicely for only a couple years, I will be satisifed , It is the best $499 Ive spent in a long time. ....{ im using 220 volts and using a Homier 110 volt - 15 gallon - 4 hp compressor to power the plasma cutter at 70 psi } .

I hope this review helps others and if you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will try to answer.

{ and no, I am not a dealer. I am just trying to help others make a informed decision based upon my expierience keeping in mind that i am a hobbyist and dont use this unit everyday...8 hrs a day out in the field. }.

So far, I give the unit a rating of B+ considering its features, cost, portability/ weight and performance. I have no idea if it will hold up for a few years and I did not review the TIG function becuase I havent used that yet and probably never will. Just for a American made plasma cutter with simliar amperage as this unit, one can expect to pay about $1200 and it would be significantly bigger and heavier and not be able to stick/tig weld. I have read reviews of other chinese brands and it seems like its a hit or miss. This is why I choose to purchase from a ebayer with 100% positive feedback who has sold several of these units. With that said, I have no idea if I need to use the one year warranty, how easily/ smoothly that transaction would go. Hopefully I wont have to find out :}
    Last edited by rumme; 05-06-2008 at 10:32 PM.

Re: My Chinese expireince

Quote Originally Posted by rumme View Post
    I am a hobbyist and read about the 3 in 1 mutli function chinese units on ebay for several weeks. I finanly ordered one about a month ago and heres my expriencne so far :

the seller on ebay had 100% postive feedback and the unit was a Simadre 416 for $499 shipped { from China even though the ebay seller was listed as living in California }

the unit took a few days longer to get here, but the seller sent me free consumables to make up for the slight delay. It was packaged well and all components were unharmed in shipping.

Negatives :

some of the chinese hose clamps are chessy so I went with american made clamps. The air regulator has a small air leak around the plastic bowl area where it threads on. Wehn using the plasma cutter today, it started to only work intermitnently. I found out that a small metal pin in the thumb trigger had backed out of its hole a bit and wasnt allowing the thumb trigger to make contact to kick the plasma cutter on. I pushed the pin back in and epoxied it and the problem has now been permanently fixed. Finally, the instruction manual isnt very good but anyone with a bit of common sense can figure out how to setup the unit { there is a troubleshooting guide in the back of the manaul to try and help diagnose any problems that may arise, but its mostly a joke.

Postives :

Ive used this unit for about a month now and have used the plasma cutter and stick welder for :

7-8 gauge flat plate steel

12-14 gauge galvanized steel culvert

sheet metal roofing.

I have built a woodstove, welding cart and am in the process of building a large underground steel culvert storm shelter. The unit has performed nicely and if it performs this nicely for only a couple years, I will be satisifed , It is the best $499 Ive spent in a long time. ....{ im using 220 volts and using a Homier 110 volt - 15 gallon - 4 hp compressor to power the plasma cutter at 70 psi } .

I hope this review helps others and if you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will try to answer.

{ and no, I am not a dealer. I am just trying to help others make a informed decision based upon my expierience keeping in mind that i am a hobbyist and dont use this unit everyday...8 hrs a day out in the field. }.

So far, I give the unit a rating of B+ considering its features, cost, portability/ weight and performance. I have no idea if it will hold up for a few years and I did not review the TIG function becuase I havent used that yet and probably never will. Just for a American made plasma cutter with simliar amperage as this unit, one can expect to pay about $1200 and it would be significantly bigger and heavier and not be able to stick/tig weld. I have read reviews of other chinese brands and it seems like its a hit or miss. This is why I choose to purchase from a ebayer with 100% positive feedback who has sold several of these units. With that said, I have no idea if I need to use the one year warranty, how easily/ smoothly that transaction would go. Hopefully I wont have to find out :}
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your unit and that you gave an imported welder a try.

We have a forum dedicated to these types of machines, check it out.

Thanks
    LONGEVITY Welding
    Best Prices On Welding Equipment
    Phone: 877-566-4462

I bought one as well from Ebay by Roland out of Arizona, the units are blue. Plasma, stick and tig I love it. I built a trailer BBQ pit out of it. I have never had the High temp circuit shut me down.
    I was wishing they made Migs unit, until I found a ESAB Migmaster 251 that needed a ground torch, spool kit, power cable, consumables, and cleaning up. Now I will be build a cart to hold both along with 2 Bottles then I will have a great set up for a hobbyist. Just like Harbor frieght and Northern Tool, if your not making a living with them they are great.
    Whether it's wire or rob keep on burning them.

i have a lotos 520d and i can't seem to get the plasma cutter to work i feel i'm doing something wrong but not sure what i keep going over everything but can't figure it out i get air i see spark when i touch the metal and push the trigger but i can't get a full arc to cut. there is a nob for post flow which the book doesn't say what it is for. also i know the machine is grounded through the plug but there is also a ground screw on the back and they show it being used does it have to be grounded on the back also.and will they cut galvanized

Quote Originally Posted by alias46 View Post
    i have a lotos 520d and i can't seem to get the plasma cutter to work i feel i'm doing something wrong but not sure what i keep going over everything but can't figure it out i get air i see spark when i touch the metal and push the trigger but i can't get a full arc to cut. there is a nob for post flow which the book doesn't say what it is for. also i know the machine is grounded through the plug but there is also a ground screw on the back and they show it being used does it have to be grounded on the back also.and will they cut galvanized
    Will cut any elecrically conductive material.
    IGNOR that ground screw on the back of the machine.
    Be sure the ground clamp cable is inserted into the port on the front right side of the machine.
    http://www.PlasmaMetalCutter.com

GiantTech Cut40D
    GiantTech Cut50D
    GiantTech CT520D
    GiantTech Tig200s
    GiantTech Arc200
    GiantTech Tig200PACDC
    Miller MM210
    No Brand Chinese Chop Saw
    No Brand Chinese 4" Angle Grinder

Oh, and if it's a "Foot Pedal Ready" machine then be sure that the "Machine/Pedal" switch is in the "Machine " position.

GiantTech Cut40D
    GiantTech Cut50D
    GiantTech CT520D
    GiantTech Tig200s
    GiantTech Arc200
    GiantTech Tig200PACDC
    Miller MM210

Is this the machine you have ?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

GiantTech Cut40D
    GiantTech Cut50D
    GiantTech CT520D
    GiantTech Tig200s
    GiantTech Arc200
    GiantTech Tig200PACDC
    Miller MM210

If so be sure that the center bottom switch is OFF.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by GiantTechGuy; 07-15-2009 at 09:43 PM.

GiantTech Cut40D
    GiantTech Cut50D
    GiantTech CT520D
    GiantTech Tig200s
    GiantTech Arc200
    GiantTech Tig200PACDC
    Miller MM210

That is the machine I just bought and every time I stop tig welding the pressure regulator allows argon to escape out the bottom of the bowl. I am not sure if it is designed that way or what. I thought the post flow should come out the tip of the tig torch.

Any ideas?

The air pressure regulator is only used for plasma cutting,not for tig welding. Your argon is leaking out of regulator water drain.
    "You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass."

Isoroku Yamamoto,
    Commander-in-Chief, Imperial Japanese Navy

Quote Originally Posted by cdlale View Post
    The air pressure regulator is only used for plasma cutting,not for tig welding. Your argon is leaking out of regulator water drain.
    Thanks cdlale.

I had another friend tell me that as well...A well writen setup guide would have been handy.

I am going to reconfigure that and try again tonight.

Thanks again

Hello all. I am new here, weekend warrior type and wanted to comment on Simadre products. Been doing stick and wire since 1990, plasma last two years and am starting TIG. Latest project is a weld up 1200 square foot steel building.

I ordered a Simadre Cut520D off Ebay, wired the plug and gas/air lines and plugged it in - BANG. Seller was a quick shipper and offered a rebate on return shipping. I got a refund and purchased a 200P from the same place as I thought I'd get to aluminun welding at some point. The first one would power up but had no output at the torches and rod holder. Seller sent a replacement with return shipping covered by UPS "damaged goods" Second one came. I tested the plasma and MMA functions and found them to woek very well. Today I started hooking up the TIG and quickly found that the torch has the wrong connection. I robbed an extra 5/8"x 18 x 1/8" connector off a Harbor Freight regulator worked fine. Then I found the argon connector had a non standard connection to the gas bottle so now I am back to square one with TIG until I find another connector for the HF regulator. The regulator they supplied is basically useless.

My plasma unit is a Cut 40D and it has worked great since day one. I used it to cut all the steel for my building. Ibought it from Parker Metalworking (parkermetalworking.com). They are out in Oregon and re-engineer chinese welders for reliability. They also do a flat rate upgrade for other brands. They have the same 200P as my Simadre so I plan to send mine out to them if and when it fails rather than back to the Ebay seller. Their rate for repair, upgrade, and shipping both ways is $399 with one year warranty. Their upgraded unit is $1199 and at this point I have $949 in the Simadre so my cost of ownership won't be too far out of line should mine quit. If not, I am dollars ahead. Not the best solution but live and learn. It has taken me nearly two months of hassle to get a welder up and running and clearly I should have gone to Longevity, Everlast, or Parker in the first place.

Steve

stevewm

please check your PM

Where can I get a .024 roller for a Longevity LM - 250 L ? Thanks for your help !

Quote Originally Posted by longevity-inc.com View Post
    Glad to hear you are enjoying your unit and that you gave an imported welder a try.

We have a forum dedicated to these types of machines, check it out.

Thanks
    Does this mean you have a connection to SIMADRE TECH????
    I see a similar responce to a RILAND post. You stated in a previous post that you sold welders on ebay in 5 differant names over a period of years but refused to disclose what they were.
    I will ask you again .....are you in ANY WAY connected with SIMADRE.....SIMADRE TECH or anything related?

这是什么话吗?

Quote Originally Posted by GiantTechGuy View Post
    Oh, and if it's a "Foot Pedal Ready" machine then be sure that the "Machine/Pedal" switch is in the "Machine " position.
    So you're back!? It's heartwarming to see that you have time to help people with competitors' machines, but you don't have time to help people your own warrantied customers?

Quote Originally Posted by Invert'd View Post
    So you're back!? It's heartwarming to see that you have time to help people with competitors' machines, but you don't have time to help people your own warrantied customers?
    You might want to look at the date on that post?
    Millermatic 251
    Spectrum 300 Plasma
    Everlast PowerTig 250EX
    Everlast PowerCool W300
    Harris / Victor OA
    Craftsman 13 Speed Drill Press
    ProTools Air/Hydraulic Bender
    48" Brake
    Compressor, Notchers, Grinders, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rugar View Post
    You might want to look at the date on that post?
    Oops, my bad, sorry. It did make me feel a little better though.