READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014.... - Page 92
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 92 of 104 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 2,276 to 2,300 of 2593
  1. #2276
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,140

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    correct, but it wasnt done with tax payers money..thats the difference..and im sure if you dug deeper into all those
    solar companies, there were financial issues that would have made any kind of grant $$ not eligible for them..
    A rose by any other name is still a rose............
    ---Meltedmetal

  2. #2277
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Wyoming US
    Posts
    3,173

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Officials at the energy department told Obama that the Solar companies that they were loaning the money to could not possibly succeed.

    When Obama bailed out GM, he bypassed all of the normal bankruptcy procedures .
    He essentially stole the money owed the bondholders and share holders and doled it out to his supporters.

  3. #2278
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,411

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....


  4. #2279
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,140

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluewelders View Post
    Officials at the energy department told Obama that the Solar companies that they were loaning the money to could not possibly succeed.

    When Obama bailed out GM, he bypassed all of the normal bankruptcy procedures .
    He essentially stole the money owed the bondholders and share holders and doled it out to his supporters.
    Yup. They should have let the whole thing go over the cliff. I think we'd be better off today if they had. But who was going to lose the money? Now Trump is going to fill the White House with some of the authors of that fiasco. IMO Same stuff different pile. Got rid of the 1%ers? I don't think so.
    We have the same nonsense here. We have a Prime Minister who thinks the mess created in the US worked so well he"s doing it here now too. As it was they took my tax dollars and bailed out the auto workers pension fund. What did they do for me? Yup, absolutely nothin'.
    ---Meltedmetal

  5. #2280
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    828

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    We have a Prime Minister who thinks the mess created in the US worked so well he"s doing it here now too. As it was they took my tax dollars and bailed out the auto workers pension fund. What did they do for me? Yup, absolutely nothin'.
    And FCA's Sergio Marchionne played the government like a fiddle over keeping the Windsor and Brampton auto plants open. First the gov bought votes by bailing out the Unifor pensions, then they bought votes (again) by paying blackmail money to the auto manufacturers. You truly got reamed on those deals.
    Canoecruiser
    Harris dual-stage O/A
    Lincoln 225/125 AC/DC
    Hobart IronMan 210
    Lincoln PowerMig 135
    Miller 3035 spoolgun
    Thermal Arc ArcMaster 185
    Thermadyne Cutmaster 52
    Clausing 2286 drill press
    And the usual toys....

  6. #2281
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    322

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    I'm guessing none of it is illegal. Look into his bankruptcies and see who came out smiling and no it wasn't illegal.
    Illegal no, immoral yes... so as long as it isn't illegal it is OK? Constantly flirting with the line between unethical and illegal will generally lead to something criminal.
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

  7. #2282
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,411

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Illegal no, immoral yes... so as long as it isn't illegal it is OK? Constantly flirting with the line between unethical and illegal will generally lead to something criminal.
    I cant name all the companies he has started but it must be in the hundreds(as posted in some news article somewhere, and im not defending his actions, but they are no different than any other big business man), so if a percentage of companies fail for any given reason( lots of people go bankrupt) thats business..so you are saying if you had a welding company that was losing money year after year, you wouldnt shut down and file bankruptcy protection to save yourself?.. and then regroup with a new business plan and try again??? just like all those solar companies that took taxpayer money and then closed up, but Trump hasnt used any taxpayer money...whether being immoral or not, your in business to make money for you and your investors..sorry but employees are not first..and all the American companies firing tens of thousands of workers and moving to mexico or china are fine in your eye?? they didnt go bankrupt but screwed the workers for bigger profits...

  8. #2283
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,140

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    There is a difference between taking a risk, failing and ending up in bankruptcy and using bankruptcy as part of your business plan. I've been burned in one of those, though not by Mr. Trump.
    Trump hasn't used taxpayer money yet but he's talking like he's going to do that. Who represents the employees or investors that will get burned in that scenario?
    ---Meltedmetal

  9. #2284
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,411

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    There is a difference between taking a risk, failing and ending up in bankruptcy and using bankruptcy as part of your business plan. I've been burned in one of those, though not by Mr. Trump.
    Trump hasn't used taxpayer money yet but he's talking like he's going to do that. Who represents the employees or investors that will get burned in that scenario?
    who represents the employees or investors when a company moves to another country and fires all their employees and all the other companies they buy from that are located here? I dont know the answer to either of them...but that is also a business plan..and im sure there are many other big business guys doing the same thing, but none have run for president to get all the bad press...
    Last edited by Hobbytime; 12-05-2016 at 10:45 AM.

  10. #2285
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,344

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Illegal no, immoral yes... so as long as it isn't illegal it is OK? Constantly flirting with the line between unethical and illegal will generally lead to something criminal.
    Immoral? Are you kidding? I hope your not from the left because How can anyone from the left say anything about what is immoral when their whole platform is based on immorality and how there is no standard that anyone should hold to. That would be like a Muslim talking about Christmas.
    Last edited by thegary; 12-05-2016 at 11:32 AM.

  11. #2286
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    Immoral? Are you kidding? I hope your not from the left because How can anyone from the left say anything about what is immoral when their whole platform is based on immorality and how there is no standard that anyone should hold to. That would be like a Muslim talking about Christmas.
    A guy buys a failing business. He convinces a bunch of investors that he will turn it around. He pays himself off the top. He puts it into bankruptcy. The investors lose their azz. How is that not immoral?

    Try not to make every issue into a left vs. right thing, it doesn't help. Avoid the labels. If we could stick to facts, we would much better off.
    Last edited by fortyonethirty; 12-05-2016 at 11:45 AM.
    Ian Tanner

    Kawasaki KX450f and many other fine tools

  12. #2287
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    64

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by fortyonethirty View Post
    I think you have it backwards. The mills closed, BECAUSE the shoppers bought the low cost towels from India.

    Those factories will not reopen until the they can earn money. The number one and two reasons factories go overseas is our high cost of wages and high standards for worker and environment protection, taxes are a distant third. We the voters and we the employees and we the shoppers are to blame. There's no giant NWO conspiracy, it's simple math.

    Here's a story of how it can be done: http://nashvillepublicradio.org/post...-hill#stream/0

    The union FINALLY realized that lower paying jobs are better than no jobs.

    This isn't incorrect, but it is incorrect. Sounds weird, but I'll explain.


    It's correct to say that the mills closed because the shoppers bought the low-cost towels from India. However, you aren't considering just how those towels wound up on US shelves and why they are so much cheaper than US towels. While we do have far higher wages than some third-world country, we have those higher wages for a very specific reason and it should illustrate just how problematic a small decision can be. Those wages were driven up by unions and government interference in the private sector free market. It might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but that's because politicians (in and out of the unions) whispered sweet words into the ears of the unwashed masses.

    We also have huge incredibly burdensome tax and regulation issues that also make the US uncompetitive. Just like the wages, the taxes and regulations were sold to an uneducated populace as a boon that would help the majority. Nobody would agree with losing 30% of their earnings to taxes, but when you hide those taxes, increasing in tiny little increments only after folks get used to the "new normal", you create a problem in the long term. Businesses are no different in that regard.

    The Repatriation Tax is a great example of how the government actually punishes companies from returning their capital to the US, making it easier and better for the company to keep that money overseas and developing more resources overseas. No sense bringing that money back into America, investing in US businesses, when they'll have to pay a hefty tax to do it.

    Ever wonder how they can make towels halfway around the world, put them on a ship that drinks gallons of diesel every single minute it's running, and it's still cheaper than simply making the towels here? How is it you can put a million towels onto a freighter and ship them ten thousand miles via frieghter and truck... and they're still cheaper than simply making them here in the US?

    What goes into the trade agreements, tariffs or not, that cancel out the cost of shipping?

    In the US, not only does a company have to deal with the Federal EPA, but they also have to deal with the State and Local equivalent. Any of those three could shut the business down. Technically, the three agencies are supposed to be tied together and working in concert, but the reality is that you generally have to fill out the same form three times and send it to the three distinct agencies who all then have a chance to screw something up and make a mess out of the thing.... and have absolutely zero accountability for their actions.

    OSHA seems like a good idea until you realize just how petty they can be, forcing huge hurdles in your way, fining you every time you turn around, not because you did something but because something bad COULD happen.

    Taxes in the US require hiring an expert because the ****e's too complicated for the regular guy to understand. And, again, you have to make sure you file with your local, state and federal agencies because there's no such thing as streamlining when it comes to the governments.

    When you look at the northern states, the big industries have dried up not because the employees did something. The Unions certainly had a hand in the demise of the Rust Belt, but it was taxes, regulations, international trade agreements, heating oil and dozens of other things adding up to a point where it just wasn't worth staying there.

    Sometimes those companies could simply move to a non-union state and be okay. Sometimes, the best option was to move outside of the States. And when that happens, you have to ask just what it is exactly that makes the US so uncompetitive.

  13. #2288
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,411

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    This isn't incorrect, but it is incorrect. Sounds weird, but I'll explain.


    It's correct to say that the mills closed because the shoppers bought the low-cost towels from India. However, you aren't considering just how those towels wound up on US shelves and why they are so much cheaper than US towels. While we do have far higher wages than some third-world country, we have those higher wages for a very specific reason and it should illustrate just how problematic a small decision can be. Those wages were driven up by unions and government interference in the private sector free market. It might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but that's because politicians (in and out of the unions) whispered sweet words into the ears of the unwashed masses.

    We also have huge incredibly burdensome tax and regulation issues that also make the US uncompetitive. Just like the wages, the taxes and regulations were sold to an uneducated populace as a boon that would help the majority. Nobody would agree with losing 30% of their earnings to taxes, but when you hide those taxes, increasing in tiny little increments only after folks get used to the "new normal", you create a problem in the long term. Businesses are no different in that regard.

    The Repatriation Tax is a great example of how the government actually punishes companies from returning their capital to the US, making it easier and better for the company to keep that money overseas and developing more resources overseas. No sense bringing that money back into America, investing in US businesses, when they'll have to pay a hefty tax to do it.

    Ever wonder how they can make towels halfway around the world, put them on a ship that drinks gallons of diesel every single minute it's running, and it's still cheaper than simply making the towels here? How is it you can put a million towels onto a freighter and ship them ten thousand miles via frieghter and truck... and they're still cheaper than simply making them here in the US?

    What goes into the trade agreements, tariffs or not, that cancel out the cost of shipping?

    In the US, not only does a company have to deal with the Federal EPA, but they also have to deal with the State and Local equivalent. Any of those three could shut the business down. Technically, the three agencies are supposed to be tied together and working in concert, but the reality is that you generally have to fill out the same form three times and send it to the three distinct agencies who all then have a chance to screw something up and make a mess out of the thing.... and have absolutely zero accountability for their actions.

    OSHA seems like a good idea until you realize just how petty they can be, forcing huge hurdles in your way, fining you every time you turn around, not because you did something but because something bad COULD happen.

    Taxes in the US require hiring an expert because the ****e's too complicated for the regular guy to understand. And, again, you have to make sure you file with your local, state and federal agencies because there's no such thing as streamlining when it comes to the governments.

    When you look at the northern states, the big industries have dried up not because the employees did something. The Unions certainly had a hand in the demise of the Rust Belt, but it was taxes, regulations, international trade agreements, heating oil and dozens of other things adding up to a point where it just wasn't worth staying there.

    Sometimes those companies could simply move to a non-union state and be okay. Sometimes, the best option was to move outside of the States. And when that happens, you have to ask just what it is exactly that makes the US so uncompetitive.
    just to add to your statement, the politicians found it far more easy to buy votes with lucrative welfare and public assistance then explaining how their policies are going to help the working class, and hence most enforcement and fines are just another tax for revenue( osha and such).. this has been a planned journey by the powers to be.not by employees trying to make a decent wage...

  14. #2289
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    1,344

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by fortyonethirty View Post
    A guy buys a failing business. He convinces a bunch of investors that he will turn it around. He pays himself off the top. He puts it into bankruptcy. The investors lose their azz. How is that not immoral?

    Try not to make every issue into a left vs. right thing, it doesn't help. Avoid the labels. If we could stick to facts, we would much better off.
    I will tell you why . Because everything should be brought to a logical conclusion. Not twisted when it suits you. Morality is ok in one area but has no basis in another. Since when was anything in this life fair . I do not defend that kind of action but at the same time hypocrisy should be pointed out. Not just from the left point of view like the DNC and others would like.

    The left and right point of view creeps into all facets of life.

  15. #2290
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnT View Post
    This isn't incorrect, but it is incorrect. Sounds weird, but I'll explain.


    It's correct to say that the mills closed because the shoppers bought the low-cost towels from India. However, you aren't considering just how those towels wound up on US shelves and why they are so much cheaper than US towels. While we do have far higher wages than some third-world country, we have those higher wages for a very specific reason and it should illustrate just how problematic a small decision can be. Those wages were driven up by unions and government interference in the private sector free market. It might have seemed like a good idea at the time, but that's because politicians (in and out of the unions) whispered sweet words into the ears of the unwashed masses.

    We also have huge incredibly burdensome tax and regulation issues that also make the US uncompetitive. Just like the wages, the taxes and regulations were sold to an uneducated populace as a boon that would help the majority. Nobody would agree with losing 30% of their earnings to taxes, but when you hide those taxes, increasing in tiny little increments only after folks get used to the "new normal", you create a problem in the long term. Businesses are no different in that regard.

    The Repatriation Tax is a great example of how the government actually punishes companies from returning their capital to the US, making it easier and better for the company to keep that money overseas and developing more resources overseas. No sense bringing that money back into America, investing in US businesses, when they'll have to pay a hefty tax to do it.

    Ever wonder how they can make towels halfway around the world, put them on a ship that drinks gallons of diesel every single minute it's running, and it's still cheaper than simply making the towels here? How is it you can put a million towels onto a freighter and ship them ten thousand miles via frieghter and truck... and they're still cheaper than simply making them here in the US?

    What goes into the trade agreements, tariffs or not, that cancel out the cost of shipping?

    In the US, not only does a company have to deal with the Federal EPA, but they also have to deal with the State and Local equivalent. Any of those three could shut the business down. Technically, the three agencies are supposed to be tied together and working in concert, but the reality is that you generally have to fill out the same form three times and send it to the three distinct agencies who all then have a chance to screw something up and make a mess out of the thing.... and have absolutely zero accountability for their actions.

    OSHA seems like a good idea until you realize just how petty they can be, forcing huge hurdles in your way, fining you every time you turn around, not because you did something but because something bad COULD happen.

    Taxes in the US require hiring an expert because the ****e's too complicated for the regular guy to understand. And, again, you have to make sure you file with your local, state and federal agencies because there's no such thing as streamlining when it comes to the governments.

    When you look at the northern states, the big industries have dried up not because the employees did something. The Unions certainly had a hand in the demise of the Rust Belt, but it was taxes, regulations, international trade agreements, heating oil and dozens of other things adding up to a point where it just wasn't worth staying there.

    Sometimes those companies could simply move to a non-union state and be okay. Sometimes, the best option was to move outside of the States. And when that happens, you have to ask just what it is exactly that makes the US so uncompetitive.
    I agree with you on most of that. I just chose not write it all out.

    But I disagree on one important point. Wages have a much larger impact on bottom line than taxes or regulation. I being a business owner, see this plainly every April.

    Average wages in India $3540 per year. Average wages in USA $33500. Pretty easy to see why a company might move to India.

    I'm not saying that taxes are not big, they are, just that wages are much bigger. Everyone needs to remember another important point on taxes, they only tax the profit. For a small business like mine, you don't need a pro to do your taxes. For big businesses they need the pro's to find all of the loopholes and writeoffs that the big companies have created for themselves. The big companies LIKE the crazy tax code, because it LOWERS their taxes.

    I agree that the tax code needs to be totally re-done.

    I disagree when anyone says we should roll back our standards. Most of our standards are in place for good reasons. What needs to change is the regulating body and where the regulations are applied. Worker safety and environmental regs need to be applied to the product, not the producer. It ought to be that in order to sell a product here it must meet our requirements. Making this shift would give us the opportunity to revamp the system of regulations, and simplify the rules. And, make USA more competitive in our own market.


    Trump has campaigned on simplifying regulation and taxes, unfortunately he seems to be appointing the very crony capitalists that have created this mess, to his cabinet. I am beginning to lose hope.
    Last edited by fortyonethirty; 12-05-2016 at 03:41 PM.
    Ian Tanner

    Kawasaki KX450f and many other fine tools

  16. #2291
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by thegary View Post
    I will tell you why . Because everything should be brought to a logical conclusion. Not twisted when it suits you. Morality is ok in one area but has no basis in another. Since when was anything in this life fair . I do not defend that kind of action but at the same time hypocrisy should be pointed out. Not just from the left point of view like the DNC and others would like.

    The left and right point of view creeps into all facets of life.
    It's true that morality is often ignored in business. Doesn't mean that it isn't important. Doesn't mean that someone should get a pass to intentionally screw people over and call it business.

    It's true that left and right creeps into all facets of life. But the left vs. right mentality is EXACTLY WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE SYSTEM. People have been defending Donald Trump, by saying Hillary is worse. So what. They are both crooks. So now we've got the lesser of two crooks.

    If you want to fix a problem you have to start at home. I will TRY to stick to facts, not labels.
    Ian Tanner

    Kawasaki KX450f and many other fine tools

  17. #2292
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,411

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    and on the lighter side..............................

    A cowboy named Bud was overseeing his herd in a remote mountainous pasture in Montana when suddenly a brand-new 2015 BMW advanced toward him out of a cloud of dust. The driver, a young man in a Brioni® suit, Gucci® shoes, RayBan® sunglasses and YSL® tie, leaned out the window and asked the cowboy, "If I tell you exactly how many cows and calves you have in your herd, will you give me a calf?"


    Bud looks at the man, who obviously is a yuppie, then looks at his peacefully grazing herd and calmly answers, "Sure, why not?"



    The yuppie parks his car, whips out his Dell® notebook computer, connects it to his Apple i phone, and surfs to a NASA page on the Internet, where he calls up a GPS satellite to get an exact fix on his location which he then feeds to another NASA satellite that scans the area in an ultra-high-resolution photo.





    The young man then opens the digital photo in Adobe Photoshop® and exports it to an image processing facility in Hamburg, Germany ...





    Within seconds, he receives an email on his Apple ipad® that the image has been processed and the data stored. He then accesses an MS-SQL® database through an ODBC connected Excel® spreadsheet with email on his Galaxy S5® and, after a few minutes, receives a response.





    Finally, he prints out a full-color, 150-page report on hishi-tech, miniaturized HP LaserJet® printer, turns to the cowboy and says, "You have exactly 1,586 cows and calves."





    "That's right. Well, I guess you can take one of my calves," says Bud.




    He watches the young man select one of the animals and looks on with amusement as the young man stuffs it into the trunk of his car.




    Then Bud says to the young man, "Hey, if I can tell you exactly what your business is, will you give me back my calf?"




    The young man thinks about it for a second and then says, "Okay, why not?"





    "You're a Congressman for the U.S. Government", says Bud.





    "Wow! That's correct," says the yuppie, “but how did you guess that?"





    "No guessing required." answered the cowboy. "You showed up here even though nobody called you; you want to get paid for an answer I already knew, to a question I never asked. You used millions of dollars worth of equipment trying to show me how much smarter than me you are; and you don't know shvt about how working people make a living - or about cows, for that matter. This is a herd of sheep.”




    “Now give me back my dog.”




    AND THAT FOLKS IS WHAT THE PROBLEM IS.

  18. #2293
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northern Cal., Shasta County
    Posts
    8,413

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by fortyonethirty View Post


    Trump has campaigned on simplifying regulation and taxes, unfortunately he seems to be appointing the very crony capitalists that have created this mess, to his cabinet. I am beginning to lose hope.
    Beginning to lose hope? Already? Come on now, at least wait until a day or two after he's sworn in.
    "The things that will destroy America are prosperity at any price, peace at any price, safety first instead of duty first, the love of soft living and the get rich quick theory of life." -Theodore Roosevelt

  19. #2294
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Northern CA
    Posts
    410

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by fortyonethirty View Post
    It's true that morality is often ignored in business. Doesn't mean that it isn't important. Doesn't mean that someone should get a pass to intentionally screw people over and call it business.

    It's true that left and right creeps into all facets of life. But the left vs. right mentality is EXACTLY WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE SYSTEM. People have been defending Donald Trump, by saying Hillary is worse. So what. They are both crooks. So now we've got the lesser of two crooks.

    If you want to fix a problem you have to start at home. I will TRY to stick to facts, not labels.
    The issue that is missing in this back-and-forth about screwing investors is the purpose and point of investing.

    Investing is no more or no less than a trip to a casino. You might win, you might lose...but it is a choice you make to gamble your money. Nobody is being forced to take a chance...it is free will.

    At the root of it is greed. People want something for nothing. I give you my money and expect you to give me back more. I say that the people who lose money in investing get what they deserve. OTOH, if they make money, more power to them. Your choice.
    Lincoln AC buzzbox
    Lincoln AC/DC buzzbox
    Hobart 125EZ (110V flux-core)
    Everlast PA200 (stick)
    Everlast PA300 (stick)
    Everlast PP70 (plasma cutter)
    O/A outfit
    Several Metabo, Bosch, HF grinders set up differently
    Misc tools

  20. #2295
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,268

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by GWD View Post
    The issue that is missing in this back-and-forth about screwing investors is the purpose and point of investing.

    Investing is no more or no less than a trip to a casino. You might win, you might lose...but it is a choice you make to gamble your money. Nobody is being forced to take a chance...it is free will.

    At the root of it is greed. People want something for nothing. I give you my money and expect you to give me back more. I say that the people who lose money in investing get what they deserve. OTOH, if they make money, more power to them. Your choice.

    If a bookie just kept part of his bets he wouldn't live long.
    Ian Tanner

    Kawasaki KX450f and many other fine tools

  21. #2296
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    162

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Investing is the lifeblood of business. If Henry Ford hadn't had investors he would still be a back alley engineer/machinist/weldor. Investors don't get something for nothing. They take risk and their reward is a share of the profits if the business is successful. They can also lose their money if the business goes bad, or if they invest in a con artist operation.

    It may be a casino operation to the uninformed, but its a business transaction to those who do it well.

  22. #2297
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    322

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbytime View Post
    I cant name all the companies he has started but it must be in the hundreds(as posted in some news article somewhere, and im not defending his actions, but they are no different than any other big business man), so if a percentage of companies fail for any given reason( lots of people go bankrupt) thats business..so you are saying if you had a welding company that was losing money year after year, you wouldnt shut down and file bankruptcy protection to save yourself?.. and then regroup with a new business plan and try again??? just like all those solar companies that took taxpayer money and then closed up, but Trump hasnt used any taxpayer money...whether being immoral or not, your in business to make money for you and your investors..sorry but employees are not first..and all the American companies firing tens of thousands of workers and moving to mexico or china are fine in your eye?? they didnt go bankrupt but screwed the workers for bigger profits...
    Am I in business to make money at the expense of others? No, I'm in business profiting through relationships that serve both myself and my client; it shouldn't be a situation where only one party benefits. I've dealt with builders and developers that can't make money legitimately, the only way they know how is to pay 80 cents on the dollar; with some every subdivision is a new corporation,100 days before the last closing the builder strips the corp of most of the cash( because the court can do a clawback of payouts within 90 days of filing) , days after the last closing the builder goes bankrupt, wipes out the warranties and vendors are left empty handed. You bring up Trump; what would his net worth be if he paid off all of his creditors instead of them writing it off? And how far do we split hairs on what is legal- there are situations that one can push the rules of bankruptcy that aren't criminal, just sanctions if caught... illegal or OK in your eyes? Assets that have been gained through criminal actions are protected by bankruptcy- though the individual isn't protected from prosecution by bankruptcy- I suppose that is OK with you?
    Thunderbolt AC/DC
    330AB/P + Bernard cooler
    Syncrowave 250
    Oxy/Ace torch
    Dayton 160 MIG
    6CF pot with 185 compressor
    Too much big equipment
    Even more small tools

  23. #2298
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,411

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Quote Originally Posted by OMB View Post
    Am I in business to make money at the expense of others? No, I'm in business profiting through relationships that serve both myself and my client; it shouldn't be a situation where only one party benefits. I've dealt with builders and developers that can't make money legitimately, the only way they know how is to pay 80 cents on the dollar; with some every subdivision is a new corporation,100 days before the last closing the builder strips the corp of most of the cash( because the court can do a clawback of payouts within 90 days of filing) , days after the last closing the builder goes bankrupt, wipes out the warranties and vendors are left empty handed. You bring up Trump; what would his net worth be if he paid off all of his creditors instead of them writing it off? And how far do we split hairs on what is legal- there are situations that one can push the rules of bankruptcy that aren't criminal, just sanctions if caught... illegal or OK in your eyes? Assets that have been gained through criminal actions are protected by bankruptcy- though the individual isn't protected from prosecution by bankruptcy- I suppose that is OK with you?
    welcome to the American way...

  24. #2299
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    1,411

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    Forwarded to me;
    Interesting if true.


    Ponder these Facts

    There are 3,141 counties in the United States.
    Trump won 3,084 of them.
    Clinton won 57.

    Clinton won the popular vote by approx. 1.5 million votes.

    In the 5 counties that encompass NYC, (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Richmond & Queens) Clinton received well over 2 million more votes than Trump. (Clinton won 4 of these counties, Trump won Richmond)
    Therefore these 5 counties alone, more than accounted for Clinton winning the popular vote of the entire country.

    These 5 counties comprise 319 square miles.
    The United States is comprised of 3,797,000 square miles.

    When you have a country that encompasses almost 4 million square miles of territory, it would be ludicrous to even suggest that the vote of those that encompass a mere 319 square miles should dictate the outcome of a national election. That's exactly why the founders established the Electoral College.

  25. #2300
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    162

    Re: READ THIS....The Political Thread 2014....

    And the job of the Electoral College is to ensure that a complete nut job is not elected to the Presidency. We are about to witness a gigantic fail in that.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
RSS | Home | Penton Media | Contact Us | Subscribe | For Advertisers | Terms of Use | Privacy Statement