Clogged Up Metal blade with Aluminum
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Clogged Up Metal blade with Aluminum

I have a makita chop saw with the metal blade, Its says its not made for cutting aluminum and now I know why. If I use it for a few cuts it works fine, but after a lot of aluminum cutting the blade got packed with it and would cut slower. I picked out most of the big chunks, but it still looks like there is aluminum around the carbide teeth. Is there a way to clean them or will cutting steel clean it out?

I have the same chop saw as you with the same blade, it will cut aluminum but clogs the teeth like you are experiencing.

I think, not sure, but after cutting steel the blade seemed to work better, I kinda got fed up with the blade, chucked it and bought another one and now I do not use it for aluminum.

As for cleaning, I suppose un plugging the power cord and digging out the big chunks is not going to hurt anything.

Your question is a good one, as I had the same problem as you about a year ago, someone here should be able to give more info.

Good luck
    There's a method to the madness, disregard the method and the madness begins!!

Why did you throw away your blade, can't they be resharpened? By the way how much are new blades?

Threw it away, missing carbide tips, difficlult to find firm to re sharpen blade.

I paid for a replacement original Makita blade 150.00 cdn. List on it was in around 225.00 cdn.

I went back to the guy that sold me the chop saw and gave me a good deal.

I asked around for sharpening of this type of blade, and I was getting different quotes from 18.00 to over 100.00. Some said if there was missing teeth they could repair and some said that it could not be repaired.

Got fed up with the confusion as I needed to cut material that day, therefore new blade was in order.
    There's a method to the madness, disregard the method and the madness begins!!

Welcome to Franz's Academy of Thinking Outside the Box.

Aluminum disolves in caustic, steel and Carbide do not.
    Those blades loose teeth because the aluminum clogs them up and they generate extra heat.
    Before the blade is totally clogged, remove blade, soak in caustic solution, then rinse and remount the blade.
    Drano is caustic, and you can pour the solution down the drain after you soak the blade.
    You can probably accomplish the same thing with oven cleaner if you don't want to soak.
    Kindly submit tuition via PayPal.
    Appreciation Gains You Recognition-