Ready Welder 12 volt Mig welding system..WOW
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ready Welder 12 volt Mig welding system..WOW

I just purchased one of these off of ebay about 3 weeks ago and finally got a chance to use it today. This thing is amazing to say the least.

I had a cheapie chinese speedways series 110 volt mig welder { gasless made by Homier} that has been giving me feed control problems with the flux cored wire. I was thinking of buying another mig welder like the Hobart handler 187 as a replacement.

But after using this ready welder, I realize I dont need to buy any other mig welder at all.

This welder can be used with one, two or three 12 volt batteries wired in series...

I tryed mine out today with two 12 volt batteries and on 7-8 gauge" flat plate steel . The pentration was fantastic.

There are so many benefits to this welder its amazing..

1. light weight
    2. the wire spool is in the gun handle itself, so wire feeding problems are almost eliminated because the wire doesnt have to feed thru 10 + ft of tubing to make it to the tip .
    3. Since it uses 12 volt D.C current/ batteires, its duty cycle is almost unlimited unlike other mig welders that have inverters to convert a/c to d/c..
    4. it can be used with gasless or gas wire
    5. the wire feed control is also right on the mig gun, so its easily adjusted without having to get up and walk over to the mig cart/ machine.

I got mine used on ebay for $400 deilvered and am very happy. Im glad I didnt spend $600 on a hobart 187 like I was planining. Ecspecially since this ready welder can weld thin sheet metal all the way up to 3/4"....

and heres something REALLY COOL.....I hooked it up to my two 90 watt solar panels and used that as its power source { which puts out about 17.5 volts} and it welded. Now thats cool...being able to use 12 volt batteries or the sun, to weld.....

I think these sell for about $500 brand new....which seem to be a good deal for all the advantages it offers and its ability to weld 3/4" steel easily when using 36 volts
    s

Re: Ready Welder 12 volt Mig welding system..WOW

never heard of it before, but if I was going to spend 500 on it I think I would rather spend it on atleat a 120 volt welder. Sounds like you will be charging batterys a lot.
    Victor OXY setup
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    Looking for a Miller Mig

Rumme,

I have used one of those before. They work very well and are quiet protable. They also operate of a welder as a spool gun.

I like the solar welder idea. Solar panels, ready welder and a motorcycle - now that's a welding rig. Better a recumbent bicycle, solar panels and Ready welder.

Congratulation on your new welder. Keep us posted on your experience.
    Last edited by tapwelder; 06-08-2008 at 11:52 PM.

you didn't go wrong, i also run mine off my legend

Quote Originally Posted by KRD View Post
    never heard of it before, but if I was going to spend 500 on it I think I would rather spend it on atleat a 120 volt welder. Sounds like you will be charging batterys a lot.

.....using deep cycle , fully charged 12 volt battery will yield plenty of welding time for my applications. and besides, I can quickly charge my 12 volt batteries thru my solar panel....so now we are talking the ability to weld for nothing, as far as electrcity usage is concerned.

All I can say is, you have to use one in person to believe how effective they are. I really like the fact that there isnt any duty cycle to mention and the unit is very lightweight because of its absence of inverters/ cooling fans. Also, using D.C curreent as the power source is more efficient then using ac/ to d/c inverters.....

im telling ya, dont knock this product untill youve tried one. :}

with this unit and my 3 in 1 plasma cutter , im basically set to do anyhting I need in the form of fabricating.

let me ask you this, my ready welder can weld 3/4" with no problems and has been tested to weld 1" using three 12 volt batteries. It also can use gas/gasless wire...I payed about $400 delivered for it...

How much would I have to spend for a 220 volt, miller/ Hobart mig welder that can weld light gauge steel up to 3/4" ? Keeping in mind that my ready welder can be operated on 12 volt batteries and easily transported to remote areas that may need welding done { broken down equipment, fencing in remote areas, etc}

AND...I can hardwire my ready wleder into another mig welder and use that sperate mig welders inverter to power my ready welder

AND

I can use my solar panels as my power source to weld...

do you realize the advantages of such a welding system ? ...for $400 { $500- $ 600 new{

Quote Originally Posted by wrench View Post
    you didn't go wrong, i also run mine off my legend
    Im amazed at the power and portability of this thing....

but it makes sense really.....by using D.C current, you get more effciency and amps to the wire without the need for heavy inverters/ transformers or cooling fans and no worries of low duty cycles..

it really is a win win win situation IMHO...

what a fantastic product.

Quote Originally Posted by rumme View Post
    ...my ready welder can weld 3/4" with no problems and has been tested to weld 1" using three 12 volt batteries...
    Wow, that must be around 6 - 8 KW.

What size leads and gun with this baby?

Quote Originally Posted by KRD View Post
    Why would you??? Most welders actually run on about 20 actual volts, and that is where you wind up with 2-12v batteries.(24V) And it's the amps that really drive it; with 2 600 amp batteries, you have a LOT of welding potential as long as you don't need to weld for 3 or 4 hours. The ready welders are unreal when you are out 4 wheeling and you need a welder, or if you were doing some remote work or needed a little mobile welding. Very cool tool, they have saved me 2 times already!!!
    I think she is Bi-polar. She is a bear sometimes. Does this make her a BiPolar bear????

Quote Originally Posted by denrep View Post
    Wow, that must be around 6 - 8 KW.

What size leads and gun with this baby?
    leads are VERY heavy....simliar to the leads used on rechargeable electric forklifts/ pallet jacks etc....

it also has simliar disconnect / connect junctions....

using three , fully charged deep cycle batteries { which cna have 200- 220 amp hr ratings} ...explains why this unit needs such thick leads.....

many people like to use the yellow top optima sealed batteries

I just used 2 normal car batteries I had laying around to test it out...but those types of batteries arenmt ideal becausae they arent made ofr the heavy amperage draws.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojodiablo View Post
    Why would you??? Most welders actually run on about 20 actual volts, and that is where you wind up with 2-12v batteries.(24V) And it's the amps that really drive it; with 2 600 amp batteries, you have a LOT of welding potential as long as you don't need to weld for 3 or 4 hours. The ready welders are unreal when you are out 4 wheeling and you need a welder, or if you were doing some remote work or needed a little mobile welding. Very cool tool, they have saved me 2 times already!!!

it will be my main welder from here on out.....

I showed it to my best friend who build trailers for a lviing and has $2000 miller/ hobart welders, plasma cutters, etc...

even he was shocked at how well this thing welded and he had never heard of them before .

he wanted to bring me some 1" plate steel and try it out on that, but I only had two spare 12 volt batteries, so we didnt do it...

besides, I doubt Ill ever need to weld anything thicnker then 1/2"

iF i HAD TO GUESS, iD SDAY THE LEADS are about 6 gauge....they are heavy duty...

when using this unit with three 12 volt batteries to wedl 3/4- 1" steel, they say to make sure to go with a much darker shade on the helmut of at least 11 because of the intesne arc

it alsoseems like, using the flux cored wire, the beads were nicer then normal 110 volt units..

maybe because the d.c power is more effictient...man im a bad typer :}{ ...

Sounds like you're happy with it, that's good. Really it'd be hard to find just a high quality spool gun for the price.

I'm all for the 1" test, keep us posted.

Good Luck

We need pics!

Glad you are happy

David
    Real world weldin.

When I grow up I want to be a tig weldor.

http://www.readywelder.com/

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...t=ready+welder

Theoretically, It is 100% duty cycle. I think the gun, as any air cooled gun, would melt If used continously.

If one decides to purchase one used, the match the model with your desired use. Otherwise you could end up purchasing accessories that would make it a bad deal.

http://www.goweld.com/
    Last edited by tapwelder; 06-09-2008 at 09:36 AM.

I just picked up one last week, I haven't got a chance to use it yet but have friends that like it very much. I picked up 2 Die Hard Deep Cycles at Sears the other day for $70.00 each. I am going to use it this weekend to do some work on a trailer I have been customizing. Hopefully I will be happy with it.

Drivesector
    Drivesector

Hobart Handler 140
    Hobart Handler 180
    Ready Welder 2
    Hobart Air Force 400
    Airco Stinger 225

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."OZZY"

If you used three 6v forklift/golf cart batteries in series you would get a *huge* reserve capacity and 18v.

If you use 12v batteries, the least expensive choice for something with a high reserve capacity would be a group 31 size truck battery. Two in series for 24v (almost too hot for anything under 1/4")

MIG with ony 12v is pretty much limited to using .024" wire on very light sheetmetal.
    -Matt
    ------------------------------------------

You guys are aware of the fact the Ready Welder can be used hooked up to a regular welder(with the correct model) and be used as a spoolgun/mig welder from that power source. You can get 100' leads for these too.-

There are different models like someone else said-- so if you get interested in one look over their website for the model you want.

The military uses these and if you ever held one they are so compact...almost as small as a battery operated drill.

Every time I see one all I can think of is -- Wire Paladin--"Have Gun Will Travel"--- A briefcase and a couple of batteries and your welding.

I've used them and I like them. They are very cost effective for what they offer...and VERY portable. I have used the one that can be hooked to a cc welder as a spool gun. It worked, but I didn't get much time with it...at least not enough to give it a reasonable review with regard to THAT feature.
    Smithboy...
    if it ain't broke, you ain't tryin'.

Does it have different current ranges ?? There is a lot of energy stored in a car battery, as anyone who has every shorted one out can attest to. I read where in the early days of welding, batteries were used extensively for welding. This sounds like an old idea dressed up. Batteries could be considered a constant voltage source since the terminal voltage remains pretty much the same until the battery is discharged.

I would like to see a picture of one if anybody would be so kind as to post one, along with pictures of some of the welds they are capable of. I would be interested in buying one if they have different current ranges. You never know when you might need to weld something after a storm when the power is out.

looks like a nice toy to take on your motorhome. could run it off the house batteries.

This isn't the best quality video,but it makes it's point-- [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L68rZh6NnUk[/ame]

The Ready Welder link posted above(by Tapwelder) will answer way more questions than I can. I don't quite understand why this welder isn't accepted more for it's ability to be used as a spoolgun and then if needed it can be a portable go-anywhere stand alone welder.

There are actually 2-3 other variations of this type welder,but the Ready Welder seems more compact in it's design--but then that's just one man's opinion.

These units are used by railroad crews,the military,& lots of 4x4 guys--- It's just another way to stick metal together... It just has the ability to do things other welders cannot.

It's at the top of my next "TOY" list--if I can stop breaking other things that require immediate attention and all my spare $$$$.

I have looked at the above information but I still have a question about this rig. I maybe missing something and that would not surprise me, because I often miss obvious information when I read over something many times.

1. Can you adjust the arc voltage anyway other than changing the battery arrangement.

2. Is the wire feed adjustable with the gun, and does it change the current when you change the speed like a conventional mig unit.

If I should have gleaned this information from other posts please look over my mistakes because I am a Senior Citizen

page 5 question#4 in the instruction manual on the ready welder sight.

Thanks Tapwelder. I missed the instruction manual when I first looked at the site. Things like this happen when you get old and senile. Everything is clear to me now.