Brazing vs. Braze Welding
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Brazing vs. Braze Welding

Can anybody tell me the difference between brazing and braze welding. From what I've read the only difference is fit up of the metal before brazing and that capillary action takes place in brazing but not in braze welding due to the tight fit up of the metal in brazing but lack of tight fit up in braze welding leading to a lack of capillary action. Any suggestions?

Re: Brazing vs. Braze Welding

They are the same, just semantics

Brazing is a welding process that uses a different type of metal to attach the parent metal together.

For instance, Steel brazed with brass, stainless brazed with silver.
    Brazing on steel is about 34.000 psi and stainless brazed with silver is about 42,000 psi tensile strength.
    Steel TIG welded is about 85.000 psi
    Aluminum TIG welded is about 60% strength of the parent material.

These are only GENERAL rules.

I'm familiar with brazing and the process of brazing. I just wanted clarification on how the two differ. BTW, the AWS defines brazing and braze welding as two different processes. Just wanted to know if anyone had any clarification on how braze welding is different.

I mig weld silicone bronze wire to auto body metal. Way less heat than steel wire...Bob
    Bob Wright
    Salem, Ohio Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/southbend10k/
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sawking/
    1999 Miller MM185 w/ Miller 185 Spoolmate spoolgun

I asked my instructor that same question. Brazing is capillary, braze welding bridges a gap. I agree with Donald, pretty much semantics.
    9-11-2001......We Will Never Forget

Retired desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250

As mentioned before, I will re-affirm that brazing is normally associated with joint constuction like lap or lug type that has large contact area and no fillet. Braze welding is a fillet type welding in tee and tubing cluster type construction. The old welding handbooks from Linde lay it out pretty clearly.

i thought welding involved reaching and exceeding the melting point of the parent metals permitting them to puddle and flow together with or without additional filler.

i thought brazing invloved no melt of parent metal but a surface bond between the braze metal and the parent, this flow permitted by capillary action. soldering is exactly the same but occurs at or below some atbitrary temp (around 540 f ?)

Sounds to me like you are referring to joining base metals of brass

Tapwelder's link to esab agrees with what A. C. Davies described in his "Science And Practice Of Welding" years ago. Boils down to the strength of the filler metal and the joint design without going into detail. Although old now Davies book is still one of the better sources of welding information available.

As I understand things, Craig says it pretty well above; unlike bonding with epoxy where there is just strong chemical attraction between the metal and the 'glue', with either of the above processes you have an alloying of the base metal and the filler at the surface because each dissolves in the other to some degree. The difference between the two is that with the close-fitting capillary joint, the distances are small so the alloying is great throughout the joint whereas with the braze welding, the alloying does not extend very far from the surface so fairly pure filler metal makes up most of the joint. The alloy is usually stronger than the filler and the joint design may also be stronger due to the direction of forces applied, so the brazing usually gives a stronger joint.
    I believe that this alloying is one reason that some of these filler metals, when used properly, will have a higher remelt temperature, although some silver solders will have a higher remelt point due to changes in crystalline structure when they solidify. I think there that the extreme cold working when drawing the wire reforms the crystalline structure and lowers that melting point for the first melt.
    Just my opinion based on what I've read, my experience and some background in chemistry; I've never done scientific experiments to prove it one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark... View Post
    Sounds to me like you are referring to joining base metals of brass
    That's my take on this particular question. In that case it would a mighty fine line or even an indiscernible line.

The difference between Brazing and Braze welding is:

Brazing:- a process of joining generally applied to metal in which, During or after heating, molten metal is drawn into the space between adjacent surface of the
    2 parts to joining by capillary attraction.The melting point of the filler metal is above from the parent metal.
    Braze Welding:- This process is similar to fusion welding.In this process have no capillary action.The melting point of the filler metal is below from the parent metal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by barkat0026 View Post
    The difference between Brazing and Braze welding is:

Brazing:- a process of joining generally applied to metal in which, During or after heating, molten metal is drawn into the space between adjacent surface of the
    2 parts to joining by capillary attraction. The melting point of the filler metal is above from the parent metal.
    Braze Welding:- This process is similar to fusion welding.In this process have no capillary action.The melting point of the filler metal is below from the parent metal.

Thanks
    barkat0026.

Welcome aboard.

I find your above explanation pretty good except for one thing. In both "brazing" and "braze welding" the filler metal melts at a temperature below that of the parent metals being joined.

Maybe you just mis-spoke? Sounds to me like English might not be your first language. Where are you from?