4-236 Perkins in a SAE-300
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

4-236 Perkins in a SAE-300

I m playing around with the idea of repowering my 1978 SAE-300 with a 4-236 perkins. Are these diesels fairly good on fuel? I was also thinking of adding a larger fuel tank to decrease time between fill-ups. Would buying a new 300D be a better idea than repowering the SAE-300? As far as arc quality, how do the SAE-300's compare with the new SA-200's and 300's? Thank you for any comment and help. --Tye

Re: 4-236 Perkins in a SAE-300

I've heard the octagon shaped barrel of the generator in the SA 200s ment the windings were aluminum. Did this also apply to the SAE-300s? Were the generators on the SAE-300 also octagon shaped when they contained Aluminum? Thank you. --Tye

4-236 is the engine Lincoln used in the SAE300 for the most part. Do you have a Detroit, Bedford, or White? Maybe your machine is a gasoline - Continental 6 cylinder. In any case, the Perkins is a durable, rugged, efficient performer. The question of octagonal generator does not come up. weldersales

Weldersales, Thank you for your response. Do you mean the SAE-300s were only copper wound -meaning the question of octagon vs. smooth generator doesn't apply? The machine I have has a continental inline 6 gas engine. Burns a little too much during the day for my taste. Thanks again for the response.

I have swapped engines in the sae-300 I did put a 4-236 in one and a ford 250 inline in anotherthe ford 250 has turned out to be very good only prob was getting the machineing wright on the fly wheel, I used the continental fly wheel but had to machine a replacement center as the bolt line up wasnt the same then had the crank and the fly wheel re balanced. and the 4-236 I have the bolt pattern for its bolt up , its another very good engine except perkins is now caterpiller so parts have gone up a bit in priceand not to mention diesel fuel.

Boilermaker, how many gal/hr does your perkins 4-236 use when welding at app. 90-100 amps.? Thanks.

I havent checked but I would say around 1.5 to be honest, 10 gals will last me all day and a few hours into next and thats an 8hr day non stop , but alot has to do with what injectors you are useing and temp , I am at 5000 ft altitude and in cold weather it eats up a bit more but but mind you the perkins I am running is a used engine out of an old hobart 500 amp that ate its self after a rodent ate the insulation. one thing that needs to be said is the sae-300 its in has an rpm of 1600 so the perkins was a good swap, the other sae-300 has an rpm of 1400 so the ford 250 was a better choice . so read your name plate and see what the rpm rateing is if its 1600 or over the perkins will be good .

Wow, 1.5 gal/hr sounds a little steep. My best estimates are the f227 6 cylinder in it now uses about 1.3 gal/hr. I am hoping a new perkins at lower altitude would use no more than 1 gal/hr -otherwise the switch to a diesel wont be justified because of the differences in regular gas (today $4.03) and diesel (today $4.75). Boilermaker, did you install the engines in your welders yourself or did you have a shop do the swap? How does the perkins switch over- motor mounts on the frame, flywheel etc.? Thanks for all your help.

Boilermaker, just curious, do you have an older SA-200? Have you ever welded with one before? I welded with a new SA-200 D for about 10 minutes about 2 months ago before I bought my 1978 SAE-300. I can't tell too much of a difference between the two. Do you favor the SAE-300 over the SA-200 for any reason? I am new to using the lincolns. It wasn't until I started piping that I got into Lincoln. Thanks, I appreciate your insights.

Howdy Tye's,

The "devil in the details" of this swap will be the flywheel, best if you can find an OE Lincoln flywheel, starter, and block-plate..

The 4.236 is a long stroke shaker which requires a heavy flywheel. They also crank very hard when cold; the Continentals light flywheel and 10MT size ring gear and starter won't handle the higher cold starting loads of a 4.236. Also the smaller diameter Continental flywheel may have starter to block clearance issues.

The 4.236 at full load can burn 4 gallons per hour; I wouldn't be surprised to here that a welder running at high currents could use ˝ that.

When hunting for your engine, be sure to avoid the stress blocks, or tractor engines, with the heavy rear casting. You will want an automotive style block with the flat shallow rear mounting surface.

Good Luck

How about the pics?

I am not sure if the perkins is a good choice. Hard starts are not something I want to get into this winter. I live in Hazleton, Pa., winters are hard here being Hazleton is the highest city in PA. The fuel consumption is another thing I don't like on the perkins. Even at the same consumption that I am at now, a comparable diesel is going to cost me a lot more than just keeping the 6 cylinder I have now. Is there a Continental diesel or Yanmar that might fit under the hood of the SAE-300? Denrep, you aske for a pic, here's a pic of my rig. 2003 F-550 w/ Miller 250 bobcat and the 1978 Lincoln SAE-300.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have run the 200 they are a great machine , I went to the 300 because I needed more amps , I run a lot of arc gauge and move alot of material so I went with the 300 for that reason and less stress on the machine and still have the same weld the 200 are famous for

and as I recall denrep sent me a print of the bolt patterns perkins vs continentl I used the perkins fly wheel and starter, I did the work my self as I have my own machine shop, and by the way what carb do you have on your continentl now ? and does it have an adjustable main jet ?, reason I ask if its not ajustable it might be too large of a jet and that will suck up the fuel,

Boilermaker, I have the Marvel-Schebler carb. By the looks of the carb. in the overhaul manual, I dont think this carb. has a adjustable main jet. The Zenith is the carb with that feature. Thanks for the info.

I dont have the marvel schrieber handy but as I recall they have the capability to be adjustable , look up zeinith carbs , they also have parts for the marvel-schrieber ,