lincoln sp 125 plus
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

lincoln sp 125 plus

Hey yall... I just got an older lincoln sp 125 plus and the panel/door doesnt match. I believe it was changed. Its a wel pak 100 door but its not a weld pak 100. It doesnt have the tap amp dial like it suggests, it has the continuous adjustment knob on top. Id really love to have the suggested settings chart for my machine ..Its a code 10161. Ive searched and searched and cant find any pictures of it.. If anyone has one and could post a picture Id be very grateful. Ive downloaded the manual and it refers me to the chart so Im kind of a little in the blue about my suggested settings. Also I just cant stand not knowing what it says.. I believe its an older model , maybe 90s? Any thoughts or pics are appreciated ....Cheers

BTW I love this little machine. it works hard!

Re: lincoln sp 125 plus

I have the same welder and I love it.
    You can download the manual for the SP 125 Plus here:
    http://www.lincolnelectric.com/asset...oln3/IM536.pdf
    On page 33 is the chart that is on the inside door of the welder.

Tom

Thanks Tom! Yesterday I stuck some 3/16" plate to some 3/4" with ease. Tough little cookie! Gotta get used to this Guy. So it says 5/16" requires only "g" amps... I was running on h and I . Hmmmm is there a reason flux core can't go up to the higher settings? CHEERS!

Quote Originally Posted by soulwelder View Post
    Thanks Tom! Yesterday I stuck some 3/16" plate to some 3/4" with ease. Tough little cookie! Gotta get used to this Guy. So it says 5/16" requires only "g" amps... I was running on h and I . Hmmmm is there a reason flux core can't go up to the higher settings? CHEERS!
    the Letters indicate the Voltage
    Numbers indicate wire speed/ amps.

Although you really don't turn up the amps on Mig welders but the speed at which the wire feeds does affect the amps Clear as mud?

http://www.hobartwelders.com/weldtal...ire-Feed-Speed
    go to post #3
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Ummm. I think I missed something. Mine says the wire speed doesn't affect the output. I'm wondering why its says I can only do 5/16" with multiple passes. It suggests g for the highest flux core setting. Why not hotter? Before I read that, I was running on a high I or even j and it seemed to burn into 1/4 very nicely. I'm just a bit uneducated on the matter ...

Every electrode size and type has a range within which it will perform. The welder itself has to have adequate arc force and power to provide penetration and enough energy to melt the filler and the parent metal to ensure an adequate bond. Try taking a hammer and testing some of your joints on the heavier metal.

SP125+ is a nice welder. Don't burn it out by exceeding the duty cycle.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

How will I know if I'm exceeding its duty cycle? I know its 90a , 20%, 18v but I'm not sure how to monitor that. Do I time my welding time compared to its running time or something?

How will I know if I'm exceeding its duty cycle? I know its 90a , 20%, 18v but I'm not sure how to monitor that. Do I time my welding time compared to its running time or something?
    20% means 2 minutes out of 10. The other 8 is cooling time.
    Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Airco 300
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Invertec v250-s
    Maxstar 150s
    SA200
    Spectrum 700 plasma
    MM210
    Dirty ugly tools - perfect

Yes, sort of. The 2 mins welding 8 min rest sounds bad but in reality you are not welding 2 mins straight.

You weld a short bead, stop, weld some more stop etc etc. and if you are welding at less than 90 amps then your duty cycle goes up and goes down when you increase the amps.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Ummm. I think I missed something. Mine says the wire speed doesn't affect the output. I'm wondering why its says I can only do 5/16" with multiple passes. It suggests g for the highest flux core setting. Why not hotter? Before I read that, I was running on a high I or even j and it seemed to burn into 1/4 very nicely. I'm just a bit uneducated on the matter ...
    Where in the manual did you read this?
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

I will add one thing to Lincoln's chart.
    The 115 volt welders are limited by line current. The top end of the chart is designed to keep the line current below 20 to 25 amps when welding.
    If I place these welders on a load bank and draw 90 amps at 18 volts. It is a race to see if the wall circuit breaker trips before I reach 2 minutes. Lower it down to 80 amps and circuit beaker will never trip a 20 amp breaker.

Is there a way to tell about how many amps I'm running?

Its called a AC/DC clamp amp meter. Some people refer to them as tong meters.
    Set for DC they can be "clamped" around the work lead and you can see the weld current while welding. A volt meter can be connected to the weld terminals and you can also measure the weld voltage. Terminal voltage will be 1/2 to 1 volt higher than true arc voltage. Due to the voltage drop of the miggun and work lead and clamp.
    Measuring AC line current is a little more difficult. You have to "clamp" on either the white or black wire in the line power cord. NOT both at the same time.
    I use a 1 foot long extension cord made out of three #12 Thhn wires, plug and connecter body. This way I don't have to open the welder case or use a clip lead set on the plug. Its a lot safer.

Quote Originally Posted by ccawgc View Post
    Its called a AC/DC clamp amp meter. Some people refer to them as tong meters.
    Set for DC they can be "clamped" around the work lead and you can see the weld current while welding. A volt meter can be connected to the weld terminals and you can also measure the weld voltage. Terminal voltage will be 1/2 to 1 volt higher than true arc voltage. Due to the voltage drop of the miggun and work lead and clamp.
    Measuring AC line current is a little more difficult. You have to "clamp" on either the white or black wire in the line power cord. NOT both at the same time.
    I use a 1 foot long extension cord made out of three #12 Thhn wires, plug and connecter body. This way I don't have to open the welder case or use a clip lead set on the plug. Its a lot safer.
    Thanks a lot! That makes so much sense. I thought it seemed weird that the amp selector would be in letters rather than numbers. I think ill try the volt meter. I just want to get a feel for my machine and it's output. This will help... Having lots of fun with it!!!

Jonathan

Democratic People's Republic of North Koreafornia

Thanks Tom! Yesterday I stuck some 3/16" plate to some 3/4" with ease. Tough little cookie! CHEERS!
    Soulwelder, don't be fooled that the sp 125 is going to weld anything thicker than 1/8". Yeah, you got all happy with sticking a piece of 3/16" to 3/4", but you did NOT get any penetration into that 3/4" steel. If you're depending in the welder for lawn "lawn art," it'll do fine. About as good as using a hot glue gun to join metal together.

However, for anything critical (trailer, bumper, go-kart, etc... Don't count on the 125. It's like using a jewelry tac hammer, trying to bust up a two ton boulder. Just so you're aware of that fact.
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Forney 95FI-A 301
    HF 91110
    Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

Life member: NRA

My weldpak saiz it can do 12 gauge (0.105") in one pass on D wire speed 2. I think your 125 has a couple ranges higher than that. I think your 125 should handle 1/4" but it all depends on the NUT behind the trigger.

Theres some threads on doing multiple passes on heavy duty farm equipment that might help you. Do a search, you will find that those farmers know how to get it done.

Hope that helps

I don't have an SP125 but did just buy an SP100 at a good price. Is there much difference in the two and also is there much difference between these welders and the SP135?

Quote Originally Posted by Inkydoggy View Post
    I don't have an SP125 but did just buy an SP100 at a good price. Is there much difference in the two and also is there much difference between these welders and the SP135?
    Yes and No 😊

A little more power and the Plus models offer infinite voltage selection compared to Tapped.

The weldpak 100 I used welded just as good as my SP 135 plus
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Well the SP100 I just picked up has infinite voltage adjustment on it and it is not a Plus model just a straight SP100 name on the front panel.

Well the SP100 I just picked up has infinite voltage adjustment on it and it is not a Plus model just a straight SP100 name on the front panel.
    I think they added the Plus name later when they introduced the 125

Lincoln has so many names of the same machine so that their resellers have their " own" Lincoln machine to sell.

Welding shops sold the plus and t models and now the Powermig model

Box stores sold weldpak models etc. and now the Promig model

The T model sold at welding shops is the same machine as the box store machines but sales guys would try to tell you they were better machines to justify the higher price.
    Ed Conley
    MM252
    MM211
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Sort of figured that so they can sell as many as they can I guess but most are identical other then the name plate on them. I seen the inside of many MIG welders and I would say 80% of them are the same internally compared to the next one etc... I mean by sizes they are the same 80% of the time. Take a Century and a Snap on in the same size range and they look like they were built at the same factory but put into a different case with different names and the like.

I do not think you will notice much if any difference in any of the 3 as far as performance since your unit does have the potentiometers on both volts and wire speeds. I have a SP-135P and a friend of mine has an older SP-100 and he can not tell any difference between them (he is better welder than me) Really, if you look at the spec sheets for the 125P or the 135P they are like only 90 or 95 amps output which I believe is the same for the SP100. The higher numbers are mostly a marketing sales gimmick as there is only so much you can get out of a 115 volt line 20 amp line.

As has already been pointed out by people who have used both - little to no difference. If I recall correctly, this topic has been covered in archives too if you do some searching.

The Lincoln SP-100, SP-125P, or SP135P line was considered the best of the 115 volt migs back when they were introduced. That said, any 115 volt mig machine has limits and really should only be used on 3/16" and under thicknesses with fluxcore or 1/8" and under thicknesses when in mig mode. You will get slightly more penetration with fluxcore over mig (gas).
    Last edited by rankrank1; 01-27-2013 at 03:35 PM.

One thing about this one is it has the crappiest torch I ever seen on a MIG. It is the 0ne with the red plastic handle. I ordered a new torch from HTP and it will be here tomorrow. The old gun is so obsolete you can not buy gas diffusers or tips for it any longer. The new one was under $100.00 from HTP and free shipping. It is the one on eBay with red & black handle and 10 foot cable. Here is the link to them in case anyone else wants or needs a new one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Magnum-100L-...item27b6f9b788

Anyone still hand forging or "black smithing" ?. Is there a demand for it? I've discovered I have a great desire to shape still and fabricate. It seems everything is done by machines in factories bit what about hand made products? Is it obsolete in everyday life and only for enthusiasts? I'd love to learn the skill but worried its only going to be hobby and unprofitable. Am I right? I know this doesn't have much to do with welding but we are still melting metal and making things. Anyone with me or am I on another planet? Happy metal mating

Do a google image search on "hand forged gates", just as an example.

Sites to visit:

Anvilfire
    Abana
    Iforgeiron
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches