HF Punch and Flange (pneumatic)
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

HF Punch and Flange (pneumatic)

Anyone have any experience with this piece? http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1110

I'll be replacing the floor pans in a car I'm restoring, and I thought this would come in very handy. I'm a little apprehensive about its claims to be able to work with 16 gauge. I have a set of HF metal shears that is rated for 14 gauge, and I have broken those jaws twice after about 20 linear inches of cutting 16 gauge.

Any opinions?

I should add that I'll be fabricating a shallow tray for the floor pan to sit in (I need the extra legroom) and rosette (plug) welding in the 16 gauge floor to the 20 gauge tray. I think the punch would be great for making the rosette holes and the flange while not absolutely necessary here might be nice should I need to do body skin (which I likely will have to do)
    Last edited by superkaz661; 07-06-2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: added weld description

Re: HF Punch and Flange (pneumatic)

I'm going to buy that soon. Get the warr if they offer it. You have to oil it daily though. My air saw went up but I didn't oil it. I made a lot of money off of it though. Waiting for it to go back on sale again.

James
    Drag Racing is for Fast Cars. Auto-cross is for Fast Drivers!

Miller Dynasty 200DX
    Weld Tec Watercooler
    Miller Millermatic 180 w/ Spoolmate 100

Re: HF Punch and Flange (pneumatic) I love this thing! no deburring holes anymore!

yeah I just got this today. I need to punch a LOT of holes 1/2" inch deep into aluminum that is 16 guage. hinges, tubes etc. Well the tool only punches about 1/4" deep!!!!!

five minutes with a hack saw solved that, I just enlarged the throat.

Then I couldn't fit the darn thing into the 1" square tube I use all the time.
    so another five minutes with an angle grinder and I cut off the "flange" top part and now it is good to go!

hopefully it last a long time I plan on using it daily
    http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/7184/yay6.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images