When I first joined this site, I thought that people where just joking around with how much Acetone is used, now I think some of you are serious.
If you are using Acetone please be safe about it. Look at the MSDS, here is one.
Some highlights, It is Extremely Flammable and has a Moderate Health Hazard.
The routes to exposure from it are, Inhalation, Indentation, Skin and Eye contact.
Has a flashpoint of -04 F and can have a flash fire just from vapors.
Do not induce vomiting if swallowed, and if they need mouth to mouth, don’t do it, and get medical help. If on skin or eyes, wash for 15 minutes then get medical help.
If you use it there should be adequate ventilation or wear a respirator, wear impervious boots, apron, shirt, and gloves, and wear goggles or a face mask.
As far as compatibility, the Acetone has a severe reaction with ABS plastic, Buena N (nitrile), CPVC, Polycarbonate, Polyurethane, and a ton of other plastic so to be safe you need to find safety gear not made of those.
The effects of Acetone can be long term, so who knows what will happen to you after 10 years of using this stuff, and who knows what other problems will arise with exposure to Acetone. After all remember when Asbestos and Lead where good?