L-TEC Plasma cutter
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

L-TEC Plasma cutter

I have an l-Tec PCM750 plasma utter. Where can I get a schematic or trouble shooting manual and who can supply parts?
    moe

Re: L-TEC Plasma cutter

i think they are the same as the ESAB machines except for color
    insert thoughtful quote from someone else

2000 Thermal Arc 300GTSW 3.5 hours
    1946 Monarch 20 x 54 Lathe
    1998 Supermax 10x54 Mill
    2004 Haco Atlantic 1/2" Capacity Laser
    not mine but i get to play with it

ESAB bought Ltec at one point and no longer carries parts for them but there is a after market company that they have as an authorized parts dealer that should have the parts you need just call ESAB and ask.

for several years they rebranded ESAB units as lLTEC, i had an LTEC Migmaster 250 that was the same as the ESAB Migmaster 250,

my ESAB plasma cutter was a PCMi-1000

I might try to find some documentation on the ESAB unit and see how it compares.

ESAB is the worst when it comes to older documentation.
    insert thoughtful quote from someone else

2000 Thermal Arc 300GTSW 3.5 hours
    1946 Monarch 20 x 54 Lathe
    1998 Supermax 10x54 Mill
    2004 Haco Atlantic 1/2" Capacity Laser
    not mine but i get to play with it

I found a slightly used L-TEC PCM-VPi years ago for a really good price. At about that time, ESAB bought the company and produced the exact unit with their name on it. I have all the original paperwork, including schematics on mine.

Regarding your unit, take a look at this site which was suggested by someone at the Practical Machinist site:

"Talk to Larry" at: weldmartonline.com

or you can Google your unit and see what you find; I got the site below for mine:

http://www.weldmart.com

which might even be the same place.

Quote Originally Posted by moetot View Post
    I have an l-Tec PCM750 plasma utter. Where can I get a schematic or trouble shooting manual and who can supply parts?
    moe
    What exactly is it doing or not doing, I can tell you exactly what to look for, instead of you messing with it not having a clue.

You have to go to the ESAB woldwide site, every possible ESAB machine is listed there.

Esab Tech

I was searching here to find any common problems with these things. I had previously found the manual online at http://www.esabna.com/literature/Pla...0i_SeriesA.pdf
    It has a schematic in the documentation.
    Last edited by Sparky8370; 10-06-2008 at 06:58 PM.

There is a few quirky things like some of them have a little door that guards the torch connections. There is a button switch in there that when the door is loose, the machine doesn't fire up. Another common quirk is the air pressure solinoid. Low air, and again the machine doesn't work. The air pressure switch while a potential saftey hazzard is a real nuisance, and expensive to change out. On older machines I just jumper it out and tell the operator or owner to make sure he plugs his air line in to operate it. Most of the internal parts can be supplied by ESAB, though many are discontinued.

I know this is an old post... can anyone tell me about the L-tec PCM-VPi. like specs? Should I turn and run, or consider buying this model for a cheap price? It's for my son. I know little about these.

thanks

not a bad old machine. Parts are hard to get if at all. Torch parts and consumables are still available. If it has the ESAB torch with XT consumables set air pressure to 75 psi flowing.
    If it has a after market torch could be different, Owners manual is in the ESABNA web site archives, just have to dig around.
    Do not pay a lot. could die fast or last a long time. Do not buy with out being able to cut with it. Does not have a visible pilot arc. Has a very small light blue flame. Its just HF. Will not start cutting through paint. Have to start on clean metal. once it is cutting you can cut through paint.

I just acquired an L-tec PCM-VPi, as well. I am unable to find any documentation. Anyone got a link to a manual?
    I bought this unworking and intend to try to fix it. Everything seems to work except the cut. The case is missing the bolts that hold it together. Is there a case interlock switch? I haven't found one.

If I can't fix it, I intend to use it for donor parts to build a DIY plasma cutter.

Thanks for any help!

what is it doing? Or Not doing? The only case interlock is on the cover to the torch connections. Look at the top between the mounting screws for a dark red lens. It sends a light beam out and bounces it off the cover and back to a sensor. warning light comes on right away. Clean the dust off the lens. It might start working. warning light when the trigger is depressed is a shorted output diode. This unit came in three versions, white face, black face and yellow case pcm 625. The second generation vpi and the 625 are all most the same. All the case screws are metric. The plasma was made by Sanrex for L-Tec and EASB. If it turns out the pcb is bad ARC Products in San Diego Ca. Will still fix them.
    Send me a copy of your response by Private message. That way I will see it faster.

Thanks for the reply.
    I got it working. I removed the shield and got an arc to the electrode. Reassembled with new consumables and it works. I think the ground is flaky. I used jumper cables instead of the ground wire and it cuts real well. The Cut40 consumables from Ebay fit the PT-31 XL torch.