CWB, Vertical up, Mild Steel Test
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

CWB, Vertical up, Mild Steel Test

can someone tell me the stop and start positions for a 6" CWB vertical up?

do you weave 1.5" up , stop, weave up to 4" and stop and then weave to top?

or is vert stop and starts done differently then flat, horizontal and OH

Thanks in advance for any information

Re: CWB, Vertical up, Mild Steel Test

You need to find out what the procedure that your going to be tested to. You maybe required to do
    stringers, or use a specific rod size. If this is a 3g groove with a backing bar, there is nothing specified where to stop or start. The only advice I can give is that on your root pass, stop at the center then get
    a new rod and finish your root. 2nd if your finishing a pass and are running out of rod before you finish the pass, just switch to another rod and leave yourself enough space so you can get a good tie in and then continue.

when you do the actual CWB test, the tester will mark the locations that he will want you to stop and start. There will be 2 spots, one on the bevel side, one on the square side. For practice sake weld 2 in up on the square side and stop, then continue all the way up. Next weld up say 4in on the bevel side then stop, then continue the rest of the way up. 1 stop and start will be a root bend, the other a face bend. Same way applies for all position CWB test
    Last edited by westcoast welder; 08-04-2008 at 08:37 PM.

Thanks for the information

but im pretty sure the inspector will want us to weave up, with 7018 set to about 130 on a miller syncrowave 250, so i dont think welding up 2" then 4" will actually work in the way your talking, but i did have to do that when i did my flat test

I think i may weave up 2", stop, weave up 4" stop, then continue, cant hurt i suppose

Yah I was wondering about that. Because with flat/horiz/overhead you can get from one side to the other all using a single rod, so you only HAVE to stop/start where required. But with verticle, you're going to have a bunch of stop/starts anyway, because with a 1/8th" rod you'll only be able to weave about an inch up each time before you run out of rod.

I've done (and passed) my TSSA tests for mig and flux-core: flat/horiz/vert/overhead but I have never taken a CWB test, but I *really* need it as I'm looking for jobs right now. I've just been out of school for so long that I'm very intimidated about testing.... Why the heck did I take up an occupation where CONTINUAL testing is a requirement. I HATE HATE HATE TESTS!
    "A winner isn't someone who doesn't lose, a winner is someone who doesn't quit."

I have taken the CWB FCAW, GMAW and SMAW all position test. They are all done the same way except for the plate thickness and groove width for FCAW. In the vertical test you dont weave the whole groove in a single pass, thats crazy. Angle the 1/8 rod 45* into the square side. Do a very slight weave up and stop where the testing instructor has marked on you plate to stop, then continue up and finish the pass. Now face your rod straight in and weave from the first pass to the bevel side. Go up until you get to the mark made by the testing instructor and stop, then continue up. Each positon 2 passes to fill the bottom. Doesnt matter what test, FCAW, GMAW, SMAW all are done the same way - 1 pass on the square side and another weaved from the first pass to the bevel side.

Thanks for the posts

But im pretty sure with flat, horizontal and OH ,, its 3 passes to fill the bottom, side, side middle, just saying

when i did my flat, we Had to have 3 passes to fill bottom, then 9 more to fill it up with a no more then 3mm face reinforcement on top

some people had to grind their faces down a lot, looked pretty ugly

ah well, will find out tomorrow i suppose