RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

80 Amp Inverter Arc Welder

Anyone have it? How good does it work? Thanks

Re: 80 Amp Inverter Arc Welder

Quote Originally Posted by welderShane View Post
    Anyone have it? How good does it work? Thanks
    80 amps worth.

If it were me, I would wait and save some money for something much more powerful. 80 amps is an extremely limited amount of output power.
    Last edited by tanglediver; 08-15-2008 at 12:10 AM.
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & NKJV Bible

Danny

I have one from harbor Freight and one from ArcOne. I have used the HF machine and it works fine but as meantioned above, lacks power.

(sorry i should have used the searched function on here) Yea all i want it for is for somthing small and portable. Ive read some good things on it. What are some good rods to run with it? 6011 6013? Anyone ever tig with it yet? Thanks

The 3/32" 6011s I have seem to do well. The 6013s are OK but I would suggest 5/64"ths if you can get them.

The machine tig welds fine but again is low power. It does seem stable at very low amperage.
    Last edited by gaustin; 08-15-2008 at 10:59 AM.

Also what is the warrenty on it? Just one year? If it beaks they give you a new one right?

They do at the store. I am not sure by mail order.

Yea. Well i would by it at the store before online. I was just checking if its one year or 90 days or what ever..

Where did you get your tig torch at? If i ever want to add one it would be nice to know. Im not sure which types fit this machine

For an air cooledd tig torch, they all fit. What typically exists is a standard gas connection on a gas hose that runs with the power lead or the Gas and Power run in the same lead and an adapter block that allows the current to be attached using a standard electrode holder or output lug on a machine.

Torches similar to those shown here are used. http://harrisweld.com/071406_018.htm

Gaustin do you have a picture of the hookup? Im just confused because there is no connector on the front for gas. Does the torch pug in and theres a seperate line that comes out for the gas? Thanks
    I picked this welder up over the weekend and have using it. Its not a miller but its really not that bad at all. It seems built well about as same as the Termal arc dragster 80.

The gas comes right from the flowmeter. There are various ways to hookup the torch to the gas.

In twoo hose systems the gas hose on the tig rig has the 5/8" male fitting that screws into most flowmeters and gas outlet connections on machines.

On a single hose tig rig (I prefer) the end of the hose/lead opposite the torch is threaded into an adapter block that can be mounted on the front of a machine logs, connected to a lead, or gripped with the stinger. This adapter block has a connection on one side to the standard 5/8" gas connection. The other end the 1/4" ? tig lead. And a large tab for bolting or gripping with a stinger.

Here are some diagrams that may help http://www.weldcraft.com/pdf/HOOKUPB.pdf

Here is the setup I had with my dragster 80 showing the location of the adapter block.

http://www.weldingdata.com/Dragster80pics/PC170024.JPG

Thanks alot. Looking at the diagrams Letter E is what i was thinking about. That seems like the easier setup for me. One hookup for the torch and one right to the gas meter. If you don't mind, do you happen to have any tig weld pics from the harborfreight unit? Thanks for all the help

I am not sure. I could make you some but I droppe my HF machine of in Tupelo that wanted to try some stick welding with it. I can tell you that it seemed to strike an ark a little easier than the dragster 80 but welded about the same.

They both fizzled out on 3/32" 6011 after welding for about 3 minutes.

Yea im liking mine right now. It seems alittle hard to start a 3/32 6011 but then again im learning. Does weldcraft make any 2 piece tig torches that would fit this? I was looking on ebay and could'nt find any 2 piece tig torches? Thanks for all the help? Have you used your Hf inverter alot? I just wondering if it holds up weld and dosent die.

I have probably only burned 3 or 4 lbs of rod with mine. Its handy for lawnmower sheetmetal-, thin round or square tubing (1/16 tp 1/8"), conduit (6011), etc. Its handy because I can run a 110 ext cord to where I am and weld. I have welded hinges onto 2" Galv chainlink posts (removed the zinc 1st), boatlift brackets 1/4" thick lap joints with multipass fillet welds etc.

It comes in handy but is low on the power end. The 1/4" material and 80 amps was about the limit. The HF machine was stuck in a workboat with a bunch of other tools and hauledd all over the lake. It was used a few times. I loaned it to a kid in Tupelo who is ginna try it, the night before I brought it down, it welded fine. Hard to start as usual, picky about the ground.

There are some pics and link to a video I made with one of the 80 amp inverters.

http://weldingdata.com/80_amp_inverter.htm

I'd post em here but they just come out as links.

The machine I used (Arc One) doensn't work consistently at below 40 amps. It doesn't strike an arc very well, it just makes a light spark for a few times and then fires up. The HF welded better at lower amps and the same at 80 amps.

Thanks for the link Gaustin, you can see the arc very well compared to a lot of welding videos I've seen, I'm still learning and oneday will be looking for a tig unit, was that what they call walking the cup?

Thanks alot for the pics gaustin. Anyway you could put the vid on youtube or something? The video right now loads and plays sound but no picture shows up for me. And heres one for you also, out of all the 80 amp inverters you have used (harborfreight,arcone,thermalarc) Which one do you like the best and works the best at tig welding and which one works best at stick welding? Thanks
    Shane

The Harbor Freight worked the best. However when I used it, it was hooked to a gas driven generator many times and (I THINK) the power coming out was a little higher than on my household circuit.

The Thermalarc seemed to reach its duty cycle quicker but that could have been my imagination. The Thermal Arc seemed more stable on very low amperage whereas the ARCONE seemed very unstable. The a arcone makes a hissing noise if the current dial is turned down much below 50. It almost sound like High Frequency on a AC tig machine.

The kid I loaned the HF to does some type of art that he used to FCAW but his machine broke. I don't think he is liking the HF as a stick welder. Its served it purpose and made my money back many times over. I welded the exhaust on a car not long and it was very handy.

The ArcOne I was unable to strike a stick arc with. Thats why the HF went out as a loaner.

Welding wise, the thermal arc seemed about the same with stick. Tig it seemed to drop in current some as I welded longer. It probably did with stick too and I just didn't notice.

I think for the $ the HF can't be beat. Of course you may get a lemon. I have one of the 220V imports for stick welding and I doubt I will ever use any of my 80 amp inverters again. Unless I need to weld two 5/64" wires together again.

I'll look at the video situation

Here is the video as an embedded wmv file.

http://weldingdata.com/Dragster80pic...0ampgtwmv.html

Gaustin, Very nice video, and thanks for all the help!!

Would you recomend using a 1/16 tungsten over the 3/32 because its only 80 amps?

Nice thread. I enjoy my HF 80 amp. Thought I got a good deal at $50 from an "overstock" store that sells returns. I loaned it to a buddy at work and he liked it a lot. Welded a bunch of stainless using 3/32 308-16 rods.

He just won a 200 amp(!) version from Smilytools on ebay. It was about $140 shipped. I'll have to borrow it and give it a try after he gets it.
    The ebay pic - http://i20.ebayimg.com/07/i/000/ff/92/e7d6_1.JPG

I like the TIG discussion. I guess I could run it off my little inverter or the SA200 equally well w/ scratch start depending on how much power I wanted. I see DC TIG as more of a way to weld fine/small stuff though.
    Lincoln SA200, HH135, Lencospot, HF80 Inverter, Rockwell 11x35 lathe, HF drill mill, Kama 554 tractor w/ FEL & BH, Belarus 250AS, lot's of Chinese tools

Brad,
    So you got the harborfreight 80amp inverter right? What are your thoughts on it? Ive had mine for about a week and been burnin about 4 rods a day with it and its been fine. How long have you had yours for, any problems? Thanks