AirGas sucks , again
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

AirGas sucks , again

tried to get a cylinder of c25 in a reasonable size - 200-300 cubic ft . forget it.

they don't supply anything larger than 125 cu' . not a lot of weld time in that tank ,when
    its $40 to exchange , $45 to exchange a 200' at another non-lws 50 miles away .

kind of like a convenience store that sells only one thing .
    Miller S60 feeder
    Cobramatic push/pull feeder
    Miller CP-252ts
    Lincoln Tig250/Tig250
    Lincoln weldpak 100 -italian
    C-H 90A- italian
    Harris & Victor O\A
    full manual & CNC machine shop

Re: AirGas sucks , again

Hey, TNMGCARBIDE.
    I'm in Dalton, GA. I have a large bottle (300 cf I think) with C25. I'll swap you even for a 125 cf full. I have a hard time with the big bottles. Then you can easily swap with Airgas.
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    10FtDrillBit.com

that's the problem . airgas only has 125s . your 300cf would have to be sent off and refilled.
    Miller S60 feeder
    Miller CP-252ts
    Lincoln Tig250/Tig250
    C-H 90A- italian
    Harris & Victor O\A

I think I can swap in Dalton, haven't asked lately. Where are you?
    Burt
    Miller Thunderbolt XL AC/DC
    10FtDrillBit.com

Democratic People's Republic of North Koreafornia

AirGas gas services sucks and their "Radnor" house brand stuff is all crap too. I'd rather buy Lincoln Electric "big box model" consumables made for Home Depot and Lowes, before ever touching Radnor $h!{ again.
    Last edited by SuperArc; 01-19-2013 at 05:03 AM.
    Lincoln Power Mig 216
    Lincoln AC/DC-225/125

Miller 625 X-Treme Plasma
    Miller 211

Forney 95FI-A 301
    HF 91110
    Victor Journeyman O/P
    Milwaukee
    Dayton
    Makita
    Baileigh

NRA Life Member

That's weired. My Airgas has tons of 300 CF tanks. My problem was getting anything special in less than 300 like 98/2 etc
    4 Sale: GoWeld $395obo
    Demo machine: AHP200X
    MM350P w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    ESAB 300AVS
    Everlast PowerTig 185
    ESAB 875 plasma
    Evo 355. OA

wb4rt , i'm in Athens , but i come your way on occasion .... i'll consider your offer...
    Miller S60 feeder
    Miller CP-252ts
    Lincoln Tig250/Tig250
    C-H 90A- italian
    Harris & Victor O\A

it is official . the airgas distributors in GA won't sell a c25 exchange cylinder larger than 125cu' .
    they have larger rental tanks , but i don't rent . period .

i once owned my own o2 tank that wasn't compatible w/ the lws exchange tanks . it sucked when i ran out and had to wait a week and a half to get it refilled .
    Miller S60 feeder
    Miller CP-252ts
    Lincoln Tig250/Tig250
    C-H 90A- italian
    Harris & Victor O\A

If you don't rent and they don't sell then well, sir, we have a classic stale mate. Someone has to give or go elsewhere.
    Miller Diversion 180
    Hobart Handler 140 (Soon to be replaced with Miller 211?)
    Miller Spectrum 625 Extreme

that's the problem . they bought out all the competition and killed off the mom and pops stores.

a monopoly, unless i want to drive 40+ miles away.
    Miller S60 feeder
    Miller CP-252ts
    Lincoln Tig250/Tig250
    C-H 90A- italian
    Harris & Victor O\A

I quit using airgas a few years ago..
    I've tried to go into airgas and buy consumables and such, get pricing on machines, decided I just couldnt do business with them, they are just too proud of their crap and acted like it was killing them to have to get out from behind the desk... I am lucky to have a couple of large semi-locally owned welding supply outfits easily in driving distance and one place even delivers and still beats airgas prices, so it wasnt a difficult change for me..

You might look around, you might be surprised to find out who actually wants your business..

Quote Originally Posted by tnmgcarbide View Post
    it is official . the airgas distributors in GA won't sell a c25 exchange cylinder larger than 125cu' .

i once owned my own o2 tank that wasn't compatible w/ the lws exchange tanks . it sucked when i ran out and had to wait a week and a half to get it refilled .
    I just have to say that is totally furked up. Poor business practice and just outright greed. What if u get a 300cf from someone else and then exchange at airgas? Do they exchange but not sell 300cf? That is a regional policy cuz the local Airgas here sells them and exchanges customer owned cylinders in any size. Then u get raped fro a 10-20% hazmat fee too. (The reason I stopped using them for my gas)
    4 Sale: GoWeld $395obo
    Demo machine: AHP200X
    MM350P w/ Spoolmatic 30A
    ESAB 300AVS
    Everlast PowerTig 185
    ESAB 875 plasma
    Evo 355. OA

Quote Originally Posted by tnmgcarbide View Post

Open an account with Airgas. It can simply be a COD account. That puts you in their system. Then take wb4rt up on his offer to swap cylinders. When you need to you just go in and exchange the large cylinder you have for another. If asked, just tell them you borrowed a buddies cylinder and want to return it full to him. Most places as long as you have an account and one of their large cylinders, they won't bat an eye if you go in to exchange.

I have several "owner" cylinders that I got before GTS Welco bought up one of the local suppliers. For a while they would still swap out cyinders, but then stopped. That has left me with some cylinders that are "owned" and some that are older GTS cylinders. I have an account, but I don't show any cylinders on my account since I got all my "legit" cylinders prior to them starting up this racket. I've never had any issues exchanging cylinders, even with the d1ckheads at one other location. I have an account, I have a cylinder with their markings, so they exchange them no problem.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Im really happy i live so close to Smith welding. These guys exchange anything i have with no questions.

Around here small cylinders only are exchanged. Stuff like MC and B acet, R and up to 60cf Oxy and non-flammables. If you want anything bigger you MUST lease. It seems all the suppliers in a fairly large area (Eastern Massachusetts, New Hampshire, and Maine anyway) have some sort of non-compete agreement and none will handle exchanges larger than 60 cf.

It's really funny, I see 125cf and larger for sale on Craigslist every week but none of the supply houses will accept them in swap programs. I got burned a couple years ago buying an Oxy-Acet pair and could not get them filled anywhere and the seller vaporized in the sea air.

I was tempted to just slice the bottoms off and use 'em as gigantic wind chimes. I ended up forfeiting them to the company who's label was on 'em and wrote off the loss.

- Mondo
    Member, AWS
    Lincoln ProMIG 140
    Lincoln AC Tombstone
    Craftsman Lathe 12 x 24 c1935
    Craftsman Commercial Lathe 12 x 36 c1970
    - - -
    Ask for a wrench and someone will offer you a grinder.
    I'll just keep on keepin' on.

125 cf cylinders are rental size only in the PNW. I can get private tanks filled from 5 cf to 330 cf. No problem at all. The guys behind the counter thinks Airgas sucks too. They do treat me very well though.
    Esab 1600 Powercut
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Lincoln LN-25 Pro
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Tweco 141i
    Shopmate 300 /Lincoln LF-72
    Victor A-120

If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong!

I think theres something really freaking goofy going on in airgas corperate. my local branch that does a very decent business volume was completely out of 300CF 75/25 ownership cylinders also. this has NEVER EVER been a problem before.

they are getting me 4 for tomorrow morning but there is definitely some monkey business going on.

Seems like they keep going out of their way to make me dislike them more and more.
    Vantage 500's LN-25's, VI-400's, cobramatics, Powcon inverters, XMT's, 250 Ton pacific 12' press brake, 1/4" 10' Atlantic shear,Koikie plasma table W/ esab plasmas.
    Lincoln idealarc tig 330A with bernard cooler Sync350LX. Miller migs, marvel saws

Quote Originally Posted by Dualie View Post
    I think theres something really freaking goofy going on in airgas corperate. my local branch that does a very decent business volume was completely out of 300CF 75/25 ownership cylinders also. this has NEVER EVER been a problem before.

they are getting me 4 for tomorrow morning but there is definitely some monkey business going on.

Seems like they keep going out of their way to make me dislike them more and more.

They completely revamped their computer system. Kind of like a vista type of thing but nothing from Microsoft.
    Esab 1600 Powercut
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Lincoln LN-25 Pro
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Tweco 141i
    Victor A-120

Quote Originally Posted by Brand X View Post
    They completely revamped their computer system. Kind of like a vista type of thing but nothing from Microsoft.
    Yeah. And wait for that "sorry, but due to shortage problems we will impose a surcharge".
    "Nothing welded, nothing gained."
    Miller Dynasty700DX, 3 ea. Dynasty350DX, Dynasty200DX, ThermalArc 400 GTSW, MillerMatic350P, MillerMatic200 with spoolgun, MKCobraMig260, Lincoln SP-170T,PlasmaCam/Hypertherm 1250, Hypertherm800

What is going price on a 300 cu ft. I just exchanged for 110 bucks for leased exchange tank.
    Millermatic 252
    millermatic 175
    miller 300 Thunderbolt
    lincoln ranger 250
    smith torches
    lots of bfh's
    If it dont fit get a bigger hammer

the answer is simple : the rental fees on a large cylinder outweigh the high cost of selling one .
    they won't sell you the cheaper solution, 'cause they can't hose you in the end ...

the refill on an owned 300 cu isn't too much more as a 125 cu , but you can exchange the 125
    the same day , unless you're renting the bottle .

1-2 weeks
    lead time on that 300 refill , so , got to have 2 tanks to overlap .
    Miller S60 feeder
    Miller CP-252ts
    Lincoln Tig250/Tig250
    C-H 90A- italian
    Harris & Victor O\A

Here in the Seattle area Airgas will swap any size cylinder containing any gas. And whoever posted that 125s here are rental only is misinformed. They might be rental or they might be owner. 92s and 150s are owner only. 250s and 330s are a mix as well.

I use a 250 and a 150 for C25. Just swapped a full 150 for an empty 250. Best price I can find to refill the 250 with C25 is about $60.

metalmagpie

I could still do swaps of owner 250s at Airgas in Vegas last time I went. I changed over a year ago to Nevada Compressed Gas, a locally owned LWS. My Airgas guys were cool, but NCG is far less expensive (for c25 and straight argon about half, about 1/3 for nitrogen), was easy to open an account and have pretty competitive pricing to Internet pricing though they don't stock all of what I use.
    Enough stuff to build and repair wrinkled up race cars...

Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    Here in the Seattle area Airgas will swap any size cylinder containing any gas. And whoever posted that 125s here are rental only is misinformed. They might be rental or they might be owner. 92s and 150s are owner only. 250s and 330s are a mix as well.

I use a 250 and a 150 for C25. Just swapped a full 150 for an empty 250. Best price I can find to refill the 250 with C25 is about $60.

metalmagpie
    The regional Air Gas Manager told me the 125 cf are the rental size in the Oregon area. He was trading out my 150 and only had a rental 125 cf in stock . Been a few years since that happen, so not misinformed, just maybe not current with all the changes going on. Total revamp of the computer system has changed everything for the worse.
    Esab 1600 Powercut
    Esab 2200i-TA34
    Lincoln LN-25 Pro
    Thermal Pee-Wee 85s
    Tweco 141i
    Victor A-120

In Maryland it seems the biggest owned bottle is an 80.
    If you use enough, renting isn't a bad way to go.rent is lost in the noise...If you are like me there are years where I barely used a single 80.So for me renting is to expensive.
    Con Fuse!
    Miller Dynasty 350
    Millermatic 350P
    -Spoolmatic 30A

Miller Multimatic 200
    Hypertherm PowerMax 1000G3
    Miller Maxstar 200DX