Lincoln power mig 200 vs power mig 215
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Lincoln power mig 200 vs power mig 215

I've been looking for a good deal on a mm 210 or similar for a bit now. Lost out on a couple ebay auctions. I let a nice MM 185 go which sold for about $800.

I think I might have located a Lincoln Power Mig 200 for $1000 CDN (which is a good deal given used welder prices here). Looks almost new. I've done some research on the Power Mig 215 and I don't think I would hesitate to get one.

Any one know how the PM 200 compares to the 215 vs. the MM 210?

I'm primarily looking at 1/8 to 3/8" stuff.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Re: Lincoln power mig 200 vs power mig 215

I have a Power MIG 200 and love it. I don't think you'll find much difference between the 200 and 215.

IMO, the Lincoln MIGs run cleaner...by that I mean that I feel that the arc is smoother and provides a cleaner weld. I used to have a MM250 and couldn't seem to get as clean of a weld with the same parameters, consumables, etc..

I sold the Miller and bought another Lincoln 200.

...and for those that want to start the Miller vs Lincoln debate, I weld with Miller TIG welders exclusively. I used to use Lincoln's at a previous job but once I tried a Syncrowave and then a Dynasty, I only use red for MIG.

Here's a couple of pics of some work that I've done with my Power MIG 200...

Name:  IMG_0405.jpg
Views: 8065
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0391.jpg
Views: 7992
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0791.jpg
Views: 7974
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0793.jpg
Views: 7980
Size:  33.1 KB

Nice! But you missed the topside on one tube in pic 2.

canoetrpr - can't help here as I only have a MM200.

Quote Originally Posted by ZTFab View Post
    I have a Power MIG 200 and love it. I don't think you'll find much difference between the 200 and 215.

IMO, the Lincoln MIGs run cleaner...by that I mean that I feel that the arc is smoother and provides a cleaner weld. I used to have a MM250 and couldn't seem to get as clean of a weld with the same parameters, consumables, etc..

...and for those that want to start the Miller vs Lincoln debate, I weld with Miller TIG welders exclusively. I used to use Lincoln's at a previous job but once I tried a Syncrowave and then a Dynasty, I only use red for MIG.

Here's a couple of pics of some work that I've done with my Power MIG 200...

Name:  IMG_0405.jpg
Views: 8065
Size:  55.0 KB

Name:  IMG_0391.jpg
Views: 7992
Size:  50.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0791.jpg
Views: 7974
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  IMG_0793.jpg
Views: 7980
Size:  33.1 KB
    MM200 w/Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus - LP/NG
    MUTT Suitcase Wirefeeder
    WC-1S/Spoolmatic 1
    HF-251D-1
    PakMaster 100XL
    SA-200 Blackface Code# 8638
    Star Jet 21-110

Two term limit - one in office, one in jail.

Quote Originally Posted by duaneb55 View Post
    Nice! But you missed the topside on one tube in pic 2.
    Hey, the customer got everything they paid for...

...apparently they came up a little short!

Ha ha ha....thanks Duane.

Wow!. Those are some incredible looking pictures! Would you run 0.035 solid wire in your Power Mig 200 or stick to 0.030?

I run .030" with a C25 gas but I typically weld .125" - .250" material.

If you're gonna do .375" fairly regularly, you might wanna go with .035 and straight CO2 but that also depends on your preferences, welding style, fit-up, etc...

ZTfab

Very nice, I have never been able to get that consistancy! (got me inspired to buy a bigger Mig machine) Curiousity is killing me, what kind of rig did you build that "tank" armor around???

Can I come work for you? I am retired from Commercial construction and in my second life learning metal fab, tig welding and now inspired to do more SQ and Tube (I work for free and shear drops)

Tim

Duane, you have a sharp eye!
    A rich man is not the one who has the most but instead one who needs the
    least
    Retired IUEC local 19
    AK Bush pilot,
    Chaplain CMA Chapt 26
    victor torches
    Miller110v mig
    Dynasty 200dx (new in Dec 08)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    MM-252 (new 2/09)

Very nice welds. I don't think comparing any welder to a MM250 is a fair comparison. I would consider the MM250 a lemon due to difficult arc starts and less than desirable arc quality.
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Crawler,

I am wanting to get a "new technology" mig welder to compliment the New Dynasty 200dx I recently purchased (and learning the process)

I have been looking in the 200-250amp capacity. Seems like in every process there is the Red/blue /Chevy/Ford camps.

I am retired and don't see myself in 8-10hr day production, that said I am looking to do enough work from my home shop to "stay unemployed" and enjoy the next 15-20 years of productivity.

I my only real experiece with mig has been Short circuit transfer. (the above doesn't look like anything) I have been able to accomplish with mig?

Do you have experience with the MM 210, 212, 252 and comparable Lincoln machines
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim
    least
    Retired IUEC local 19
    AK Bush pilot,
    Chaplain CMA Chapt 26
    victor torches
    Miller110v mig
    Hypertherm PM-45
    MM-252 (new 2/09)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrachop View Post
    Do you have experience with the MM 210, 212, 252 and comparable Lincoln machines
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tim
    Tim,

I don't have any experience with the Lincoln welders. The only one I heard used was a SP250 wire feeder and it sounded very nice.

I owned MM210 and MM251 welders. They're both nice. MM210 should weld like a MM212 and MM251 should weld like MM252 since the major changes were exterior and wire feed angle.

If you get a MM251 or 252, you'll be very happy. My favorite welder is the Millermatic 200. It has a very nice and soft arc.

Just make sure you don't buy a Millermatic 250.

I have heard great things about mig welding with an inverter based power supply such as a Miller XMT304 or 350. They say the arc is real stable. I have not tried it out yet so I cannot comment. I'm waiting to get a feeder for my XMT 350 so I can try it out.

Charles
    Last edited by crawler; 01-30-2009 at 05:16 PM.
    Millermatic 200

Dynasty 300 DX
    Victor O/A

Quote Originally Posted by crawler View Post
    Very nice welds. I don't think comparing any welder to a MM250 is a fair comparison. I would consider the MM250 a lemon due to difficult arc starts and less than desirable arc quality.
    Well in all Fairness I have used many Miller MIG welders...we currently have a few MM210's at work and they still don't weld as clean as a Lincoln. I will say that they are better than my MM250 was (by far) but I will always prefer Lincoln MIG's.

..and thanks for the compliments guys.

Ultrachop, were you referring to the engine cage in the pics as far as "the tank armor"?

That was for an off-road truck. It was a mid 90's Toyota.

ZTFab,

Thought that was a Toyota motor, just amazed me the strength of the tube frame!

Your mig welding is the best I have seen! I ran quite a bit of short circuit mig but mine never looked that consistant (for sure your starts and stops) topped mine by miles!!

Have us run the new 255 lincoln?? Your comments?

I bought a 96 Toyota PU for the kids when the first got his licence, he got t-boned, and wrecked once himself, the next one was my middle Son and he ran the crap out of it (never wrecked it) Thennnnnnnnn my Daughter started driving and she rear ended a van and totalled the van, (putting makeup on) I bought a Dodge 1 ton diesel for me self so when she graduated I gave it to her! (she drove it three years through college and now married and still has it!!! (I think) last she told me it had over 200k on it and the only engine work was when I put a waterpump, timing belt and 3 clutches!!! Still running fine!

(I should buy it back and build a crawler out of it?

Thanks for sharing the photos!

Tim
    least
    Retired IUEC local 19
    AK Bush pilot,
    Chaplain CMA Chapt 26
    victor torches
    Miller110v mig
    Hypertherm PM-45
    MM-252 (new 2/09)

Thanks Tim.

Wow, sounds like the kids are kinda harsh on the trucks!

You sure have gotten your money's worth outta the Dodge.

There are some more pics of that Toyota and a few others in this thread.

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=6038

Thanks again!

- Paul

Not half as hard as I was on my vehicles when I was there age! They all have done well, my oldest just graduated College with Bio Chem degree (Forensic science) my youngest Is "the" IT department for a big law firm, married and making Grandson's!!! My daughter graduated with degree in Journalism and married a fianance major working for Microsoft! (As for Me I have 15 years of schooling (3 in the 9th grade) twisted wrenches all my life and married a good Godly woman that has put up with my Flying Bush planes in AK, scuba diving, Hunting, fishing, and building memories (most good)

Dang, I would come sweep the floors in your shop just to learn 1/10th of what you know about Fab and welding!! PM shop info, I get down your way maybe in a couple weeks in the MH (Harley on the back)

Tim
    least
    Retired IUEC local 19
    AK Bush pilot,
    Chaplain CMA Chapt 26
    victor torches
    Miller110v mig
    Hypertherm PM-45
    MM-252 (new 2/09)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrachop View Post
    Not half as hard as I was on my vehicles when I was there age! They all have done well, my oldest just graduated College with Bio Chem degree (Forensic science) my youngest Is "the" IT department for a big law firm, married and making Grandson's!!! My daughter graduated with degree in Journalism and married a fianance major working for Microsoft! (As for Me I have 15 years of schooling (3 in the 9th grade) twisted wrenches all my life and married a good Godly woman that has put up with my Flying Bush planes in AK, scuba diving, Hunting, fishing, and building memories (most good)

Dang, I would come sweep the floors in your shop just to learn 1/10th of what you know about Fab and welding!! PM shop info, I get down your way maybe in a couple weeks in the MH (Harley on the back)

Tim
    Tim,

Sounds like you're really enjoying the fruits of your labor. A good wife make life much easier. I really like you signature. It really stuck with me.

Charles
    Millermatic 200

Dynasty 300 DX
    Victor O/A

Well in all Fairness I have used many Miller MIG welders...we currently have a few MM210's at work and they still don't weld as clean as a Lincoln. I will say that they are better than my MM250 was (by far) but I will always prefer Lincoln MIG's.
    That is very interesting and now you got me wondering about trying one out. I have a friend in Stockton, CA who does lots of offroad work building cages, skid plates. He has a power mig 215 welder and he will not use anything else. He has used Millers, but still prefers his Lincoln.
    Millermatic 200

Dynasty 300 DX
    Victor O/A

Crawler,

It has just been the last few years have I started to realize how blessed I have been in the past 56 years! during my "career years" I worked way to many hours and didn't participate as much as I should raising the kids, however I did whatever it took to be sure they had a safe, comfortable home, a car that ran and was safe, Now that they are grown, we get to see if we did it right (help them make adjustments (with our Grandkids) NOW THAT IS FUN! I am finding the more time/money we spend on others and their needs the less need we have ourselves. (All laid out in the "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth manual)

Live is good!

Tim

PS: I was at a friends house today that had a Lincoln PowerMig 215. I ran a few beads on thick and thin and it was definetly better then anything I had run in ",my day" I am going to try to set up a demo with the LWS on a PM-255 this next week
    least
    Retired IUEC local 19
    AK Bush pilot,
    Chaplain CMA Chapt 26
    victor torches
    Miller110v mig
    Hypertherm PM-45
    MM-252 (new 2/09)

A Lincoln Power MIG 200 for $1000 sounds like rather a good deal to be honest especially if its almost brand new but yeah its only a good deal if it is very much rather new.

Which one would you say is better betwen the MIG 200 and the MIG 215??

Thanks