alberta, cant get straight answer
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

alberta, cant get straight answer

Im living in british columbia and really want to work in alberta. Im an A level welder with pressure tickets 7, 10, 11 and all my cwbs for stick and flux core.

I cant get an answer to what you need to work in alberta. Some say you need a IP. Some say you just need you bcp 100. Some say you cant do the bcp 100 without your IP, some say I could with just an A level. Some say it depends on the employer.

But meanwhile they are importing people from other countries to work in alberta when there are tons of canadians from british columbia dying to work there

whats the real deal????????

thanks

Re: alberta, cant get straight answer

i have spoken to a fair # of people and actually am planning/thinking of heading out there once school finishes up for me this summer but the credentials that i have been told to get before going out there are B level or your IP and a pressure ticket. best way to get a job (so i have been told several times over) is just pack 'er up and head out there with a stack of resumes. shouldnt be hard at all for you to find work in dirty mack....of course the required credentials will be different form job to job thats the basics of what you should have

hope this helps

Sounds like you are more than experienced and qualified.

Problem comes in matching up your training program to "ours".

Any chance that you have your IP? That is recognized over here, and you should be on your way.

Really though, just type up your resume, grab your helmet and gloves, and start banging on doors.

I will try to remember tomorrow to dig through my files and get the number for the Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training office here in town and you can talk to one of the supervisors.

All this has been covered recently on this forum. One of the threads was called BC vs Alberta (I think) Just search for it.

Have a good night.
    Later,
    Jason

Whew.... Took a while to find this thread.

BC vs Alberta thread is not on this forum, it is on Miller Discussion Board. Sorry about that. I am on too many different forums and I slip up every once in a while.

Anyway, Phone # for Alberta Apprenticeship and Industry Training here in Grande Prairie is (780) 538-5240.

Try asking for Tim Gurlitz.

I haven't talked to him in a while, but I will wager a guess that he is still there.

Hope that helps you out.

Good luck.
    Later,
    Jason

To the best of my knowledge, you have to challenge the Alberta ticket, or write the IP.
    The rules are strict here. It is what it is. A license to print money comes with a few hoops to jump through.
    tradesecrets.org will be of some use for sure. Best of luck.

You have as much chance of working in Alberta with a BC ticket as a Palestine has being elected prime minister of Israel.You have to become"from Alberta".
    1:BC b or a-level with red seal+bcp 100,send this once you get it+172 bucks to the AIT and you get the Alberta card.The bcp 100 is done threw the boiler makers, it costs so much and is going up so fast that even they dont know how much it will be,the best I can tell you is at least 1000 bucks+the 172.

2:BC b or a-level+red seal + practical test in Alberta(no practice time)Fill out form 68 to schedule a 21 day wait period.After this schedule the test,235 bucks I was told,so bring a grand with you.

Try not to be black or ethnic or born anywhere but Alberta if you can help it.

absa.ca form 129a or form 68
    If you have a job now, keep it,the world will soon run out of oil again and you will be hired in Alberta with what you have.

I'm not very familiar with it, but I believe the Red Seal ticket/cert for Welding will allow you to weld Canada wide.

Here is the link for the Interprovincial Standards Red Seal Program so you can familiarize yourself with it:

http://www.red-seal.ca/Site/index_e.shtml

Here is a link to all the Provinces Apprenticeship Programs so you can see what each Province requires:

http://www.ellischart.ca/c.4nt.2nt@-eng.jsp?cid=3

Grab some Popcorn and a Beverage - It's a LOT of Reading.

Have a Good Day.
    Last edited by Black Wolf; 05-17-2009 at 03:00 AM.
    Later,
    Jason

Well its been a while now and just found this thread again. Things have changed alot since my last post.

Im now a journeyman red seal welder with my alberta B. Pwp 7, 10, and 11 and my CWB tickets. I have just quit my job and started looking In Alberta

Same schit, I guess I need to be from another country to work in Alberta. Im only hrs away but for some reason employers would rather hire schit skids to do the work.

Any Albertians out there that can help a fellow canadian welder out? Looking for camp work right now as Im not just ready to pack up and move yet.

Quote Originally Posted by DrmChld View Post
    I'm not very familiar with it, but I believe the Red Seal ticket/cert for Welding will allow you to weld Canada wide.
    Not for Alberta, U usually need your Red Seal and fore sure your Alberta B pressure.

You need your IP to do the BCP-100.

I had my BCP 100 before my IP. You just have to be B level to do your Bcp100.
    I did it throught the union hall. You do the test , and they do all the paperwork.

Government of Canada Job Bank search for "Welder" in Alberta

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/res-eng.asp...t=No&PageNum=1

And a search on kijiji in the Grande Prairie area for trucks for sale, guys looking for work, and employee wanted ads.

http://grandeprairie.kijiji.ca/f-wel...eywordZwelding

On a personal note - Reading a post of yours above, I don't see what issue you have with Foreign (Non-Albertan) welders getting hired by ALBERTA companies, when that is exactly what YOU are trying to do yourself...

Across the border, or across the sea... To us, Foreign is Foreign.

Alberta jobs should go to Albertans first.
    Later,
    Jason

diverguy. Trust me when i say this. As an Albertan that has lived in Ontario and BC, If you are not living here..they will not even look at or entertain your resume, regardless of what tickets or experience you have. Make the move physically, then come back and tell me how it went.

A note to all. Base requirement in Albeta is Alberta Journeyman certification. That is required before you can go after your ASME Pressure B ticket. Now I do believe that Ralph Klein and the Premiers of Saskabush/BC signed an agreement back in 2005/6 that allowed (gee what a concept eh..?), and accepted cross border certifications for trades. I am going to assume one of those is Journeyman Welder status.

The Red Seal on the other (in my opinion), is nothing but a 100 question multiple guess exam that most 1st year apprentices should be able to ace...not at all a very good screenshot of ones capabilities.

Regardless of what certification you have, 95% of the shops here will in fact require a job test before you get hired...that includes journeyman ( cut - cope a channel or W shape and weld up with FCAW or MCAW or get certifed with CWB on their 4 position test in whatever process), & for the B guys a 2 & or possibly 6" S80 pipe in 6G or if your lucky in the 3/5G + if its a spooling shop, a rolled 3 or 4" S40/80 pipe: Mig root/7018-1 fill/cap.

As for Jasons comment on Alberta Jobs for Albertans.? that might have been something I said back in 1970..but now.? with some ~ 20,000 positions in the patch open and needing people.? I don't think so my friend .. But I am for: Canadians first, then Americans and them maybe we could let in a few others from nations that espouse similar Cultures to fill positions that need filling. Seems to me our immigrations sytems is so F**ked up here..we bring in deadbeats and those with cultures that simply will not assimilate who work instead to undermine Canadian/Western values for their own religious agenda's. That does our Country no good and in particular, does not help us in here Alberta develop our natural resources.

apologies for going political...but I dont give a damn if what I wrote offends you either

cheers,
    Last edited by Steakman; 02-19-2012 at 01:48 PM.
    Welding Supervisor/PipeFitter: 35 yrs in..
    Welding Engineering Technologist('86)
    CWB Level II Welding Inspector ('91)
    Alberta Journeyman Welder ('81)

Quote Originally Posted by Steakman View Post
    As for Jasons comment on Alberta Jobs for Albertans.? that might have been something I said back in 1970..but now.? with some ~ 20,000 positions in the patch open and needing people.? I don't think so my friend .. But I am for: Canadians first,
    I would agree that looking back those were poorly chosen words. It was written some time ago and it is hard to get back in to the emotional state and mindset before that post was typed.

I vaguely remember being irritated with the OP for the whining. Not to slight the BC Boys but I do hear a fair amount of static from them when they try to get work here. Sorry it is so hard for them - REALLY but when I was trucking and crossed the BC Border the boys at the scales made it clear that the rules were the rules, and if I did not want to abide by them, then I should stay in my own province.

The same should apply in this instance. Turnabout is fair play.

Do the research, meet the requirements, and don't expect anyone to hand anything to you.
    Later,
    Jason

Just drive to Edmonton on the Trans Canada. When you get to the outskirts of town just scan the buildings and you will see all kind of jury rigged signs asking for welders and fabricators. This has been the case in the three times I have driven thru there in the last 15 years.
    That will get you in the door... The rest is up to you.