Regulator VS. Flowmeter?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Regulator VS. Flowmeter?

Which do you perfer and why? A regulator or a flow meter? Which is best for tigging using a gas valve on the torch? Im liking the victors. Thanks
    Last edited by welderShane; 09-28-2008 at 04:59 PM.

Re: Regulator VS. Flowmeter?

A flowmeter is used when you want to control the flow, usually rated in cfm, cubic feet per minute, usually calibrated at a regulated pressure of 50 psi. A flowmeter is used on tig for example because you need a controlled flow for your shield gas.
    A torch needs a pressure regulator as you want the pressure to remain the same regardless of flow.
    One would not replace the other as they all hsve their specific uses....Mike

Thanks i figured that, but I thought i have seen regulators that are for tig/mig though? But im probably wrong.

There are two types of 'flow controllers'; those which have the floating ball within a transparent scaled tube, have a regulator to maintain a set pressure but use a valve to adjust the flow, and those which use a fixed orifice and regulate the pressure to change the flow; these usually have the regulator marked as 'volume' rather than as the pressure it really adjusts. I personally like the first type which can have different scales on that tube, corresponding to the different gases/mixes, and it's reading volume directly too. The second depends both on having the right orifice for the gas used, and having the pressure set correctly too. I guess both work well; the second type is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by welderShane View Post
    Thanks i figured that, but I thought i have seen regulators that are for tig/mig though? But im probably wrong.
    You have

Flowmeter Regulator- Floating ball type
    Flowgauge Regulator- Twin Gauge style- usually included with Mig packages.

http://store.cyberweld.com/smflfl.html
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Quote Originally Posted by mrmikey View Post
    A flowmeter is used when you want to control the flow, usually rated in cfm, cubic feet per minute, usually calibrated at a regulated pressure of 50 psi. A flowmeter is used on tig for example because you need a controlled flow for your shield gas.
    A torch needs a pressure regulator as you want the pressure to remain the same regardless of flow.
    One would not replace the other as they all hsve their specific uses....Mike
    Ar/He/CO2 flowmeters are calibrated in SCFH not CFM. It's cubic feet per *HOUR*, not minute. If I welded with my shielding gas flowing at 20 cfm, my cylinder would be empty within 4 minutes!

As far as regulated inlet pressure, it depends on mfg.:
    My Harris flowmeter is regulated at 20 Psig - it's extremely accurate.
    My imitation "Victor style" (Chinese knockoff) is regulated at 50 Psig.

Even a cheap flowmeter is more accurate than a regulator.
    -Matt
    ------------------------------------------

It's cubic feet per *HOUR*,
    You are exactly correct Matt, I was having a senior moment, thanks for the correction.....Mike