Craftsman's return policy
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Craftsman's return policy

I think craftsman is getting to be just another cheap made POS. On top of that I had a problem sat returning a tape measure. I bought the first one quite a while back because they had an unconditional return policy on them. I've carried several back and had them replaced but sat I was informed that I hadn't been getting them replaced because they haven't done that since the tapes went from yellow to red. I told them BS I've carried a bunch back since then with no trouble. The old man told me that the only way they replaced them was if the case was broke or the mechinism was messed up and my blade was broke which they wouldn't cover. Keep in mind that when I bought that first one it had a unconditional return on it. So I go to the parking lot, run over the tape and carry it back in. The old man acted like he got mad and said no and asked if I wanted to speak with the manager. Hell yes I do!!! That jack *** wouldn't give me one either, I told him that's ok, another sears will take it back and walked out mad as hell. OK, my rant is over. Has anyone else had this trouble or is it just me?
    Dewayne
    Dixieland Welding

MM350P
    Lincoln 100
    Some torches
    Other misc. tools

Re: Craftsman's return policy

I had went into a kmart right after they started to sell craftsman and went to return a broken 1/2 inch drive ratchet that was broken. The lady said that I needed the ****ing recipt for it. I bitched and moaned and they finally said that they would refund it. The lady was compleatly rude to me well on the way out I was walking away from the counter and she goes to me excuse me sir you forgot your tool as shes holding up the old ratchet. I said thanks and got both the new one and the old one. I normaly wouldnt have done that but she was just plain rude and ignorent.

A lot of the Craftsman stuff lately has a limited warranty. They've started to handle Chinese made stuff.

The hand tools that are stamped "made in USA" are still unconditionally warranted. You really gotta watch what ya buy there now. It sucks.

I bought a set of ratcheting combination wrenches for about 125 for a 7 piece set. They carried the Craftsman stamp, and the "made in USA" stamp. Traditional unconditional warranty. They also have a similar set made by Gearwrench, it's not warranted unconditionaly. Made in Taiwan.

BTW, Gearwrench is no good. The pivoting box end doesn't have a decent lock on it. It just has a crappy friction lock. Damn thing flops all over the place like a wet noodle. The Craftsman set has positive locks so that ya can lock it at any angle.

It's getting tough to get quality tools. People who don't work with their tools on a regular basis are being lured to the cheap crap by the lower price.

Don't buy your air tools at Sears either. Same ones as Harbor Freight, but with the Craftsman logo. If you compare castings on the tool body, they're identical.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

Bought a torque wrench and didn't use it for a couple months as the project was put on hold. Then I used it and it broke. took it back to sears and they said the warranty was out wouldn't replace it. Craftsman right on the plastic handle. So I went to autozone on the way home picked up the same torque wrench minus the crapman name , same plastic case and instructions) on the handle and saved $45.00

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    A lot of the Craftsman stuff lately has a limited warranty. They've started to handle Chinese made stuff.

The hand tools that are stamped "made in USA" are still unconditionally warranted. You really gotta watch what ya buy there now. It sucks.

I bought a set of ratcheting combination wrenches for about 125 for a 7 piece set. They carried the Craftsman stamp, and the "made in USA" stamp. Traditional unconditional warranty. They also have a similar set made by Gearwrench, it's not warranted unconditionaly. Made in Taiwan.

BTW, Gearwrench is no good. The pivoting box end doesn't have a decent lock on it. It just has a crappy friction lock. Damn thing flops all over the place like a wet noodle. The Craftsman set has positive locks so that ya can lock it at any angle.

It's getting tough to get quality tools. People who don't work with their tools on a regular basis are being lured to the cheap crap by the lower price.

Don't buy your air tools at Sears either. Same ones as Harbor Freight, but with the Craftsman logo. If you compare castings on the tool body, they're identical.
    Yes a good amount of the cheaper electric and air tools are cheap, made in China crap. For these items you need to check the model number prefix, the first three digits of the model number will tell you who the manufacturer is. You can compare it with this table. About 5 years ago I know the majority of the portable electric tools had prefix 900, Black & Decker. Sears was paying Black & Decker to build some tools with the Craftsman name. Sometimes the tools were unique to Craftsman, sometimes they were simply rebadged (happened a lot with the Craftsman Professional branded items, were simply rebadged DeWalts).

As for the air tools, some did look the same as the cheap HF stuff, but I do know that at least one model of Craftsman Professional impact wrench was a rebadged IR.

Electric and air tools have always had a limited warranty.

As far as the tape measures, I can see both sides of that. Back when I used to work at Sears, a couple times a week a construction worker would come in with a couple dozen tape measures for replacement. Most either had the blade broken off, or had been dropped in wet concrete. I would say more tape measures got replaced than all other items put together. The tools were obviously not simply wearing out, as I would think is the spirit of the warranty. On the other side, it sucks trying to get a tape measure replaced. I've given up on Craftsman tapes. In my experience they always end up developing a twist somewhere in the first 12", so that the hook slips off the part.

And last I checked Gearwrench did have a lifetime warranty, just had to send the broken tool back (address was listed on the package).

Quote Originally Posted by flatbustedbroke View Post
    Bought a torque wrench and didn't use it for a couple months as the project was put on hold. Then I used it and it broke. took it back to sears and they said the warranty was out wouldn't replace it. Craftsman right on the plastic handle. So I went to autozone on the way home picked up the same torque wrench minus the crapman name , same plastic case and instructions) on the handle and saved $45.00
    The clicker type torque wrenches don't carry the lifetime warranty. Their warranty is something like 90 days or 1 year, but it is listed right on the front of the packaging. The beam type torque wrenches do carry the lifetime warranty.

Sears hasn't been 'our Daddy's Sears' since about 1982. I'm done with them. Their freakin' bean counters can take that to their chink bank. Along with vise grip, bernzomatic, lazy boy (mexico) and budweiser.
    9-11-2001......We Will Never Forget

Retired desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Boulevard Ale------ KC, MO

Henry Weinharts------- Wash. State

There's still hope left
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

I buy mostly Craftsman tools and I've yet to ever have a problem.

I returned an ancient Craftsman tape measure about a year ago. A 30 footer and the clerk took one look at at and said "WOW! that's an oldie" and gave me a new 30 footer with no questions asked.

I also work hospital maintenance for almost 17 years now and go through a crap load of 1/8" Craftsman regular screwdrivers. I use them to open up certain elevator hoistway doors at my facility. Problem is the cheap screwdrivers break at the middle because they didn't bother to run the metal shank/tang all the way to the end of the handle.

I've returned 1/2 dozen now and they have never questioned me one time yet.

I'm happy so far with Craftsman.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
    I buy mostly Craftsman tools and I've yet to ever have a problem.

I returned an ancient Craftsman tape measure about a year ago. A 30 footer and the clerk took one look at at and said "WOW! that's an oldie" and gave me a new 30 footer with no questions asked.

I also work hospital maintenance for almost 17 years now and go through a crap load of 1/8" Craftsman regular screwdrivers. I use them to open up certain elevator hoistway doors at my facility. Problem is the cheap screwdrivers break at the middle because they didn't bother to run the metal shank/tang all the way to the end of the handle.

I've returned 1/2 dozen now and they have never questioned me one time yet.

I'm happy so far with Craftsman.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Tim
    Just wait until you try to return the new tape. The old ones were covered by the lifetime warrenty but the new ones aren't. I had originally bought the old yellow and black one but whenever it broke it was replaced with the red and black which isn't covered by the same warrenty and they didn't tell me that until sat.
    Dewayne
    Dixieland Welding

MM350P
    Lincoln 100
    Some torches
    Other misc. tools

I hear you can carry the fat max tapes to lowes and they'll replace them, anyone else know about this?
    Dewayne
    Dixieland Welding

MM350P
    Lincoln 100
    Some torches
    Other misc. tools

Yep, I have started having trouble with my sears here as well. Not only do the try not to exchange the stuff, but I have noticed a decline in the quality as well. As far as the tapes go I have been using the stanley max steel tapes and they have held up better than most I have used. Not sure what's going on with them, but home depot put them on clearance so I bought several more of them in case I can't find anymore.
    I'm a Lover, Fighter, Wild horse Rider, and a pretty good welding man......

Quote Originally Posted by littlefuzz View Post
    I hear you can carry the fat max tapes to lowes and they'll replace them, anyone else know about this?
    I returned one about 6 months back, no problems. That's the only tape I use anymore.

I say screw craftsman and sears.Name:  butt.gif
Views: 1257
Size:  2.0 KB
    Miller Econotig
    Cutmaster 38

Yes ma'am, that IS a screwdriver in my pocket!

This stuff has been going on for at least 10 years with Sears, and it'll continue to get worse and worse as time wears on.

Sadly, retail outlets like Sears have moved in the direction of profit and volume rather than quality and customer service. I've watched the typical tool offerings in Sears stores better than quadruple in the 20 or so years that I've been buying my own tools. They do this while limiting the actual inventory investment at roughly the same cost. What this means, is they are buying and selling more and more low-cost product in order to offer a greater variety of it without increasing the actual investment made in a given store's inventory. Where they seem to succeed in moving a lot of cheap Chinese made junk, they are seriously falling down in taking care of the professional mechanics and tradesmen who's decades of patronage had made Sears the largest retailer of tools and power equipment (prior to WalMart.) I have had store assholesociates refuse to fix or replace ratchet handles and end wrenches on a number of occasions, and rather than get mad, I just keep walking around the store until I find another body to approach about getting it changed out. I'm not buying anything else from them, mind you. . . . and I'm not shy about telling them so if challenged to replace it at my own cost. Many people working in Sears these days weren't even ALIVE back in the days when Craftsman tools were good quality, much less know how to use the tools they sell and the importance of standing behind what you sell.

Rant off. Let's bitch about WalMart tools. . . . .

BK

Quote Originally Posted by jetenginedoctor View Post
    Rant off. Let's bitch about WalMart tools. . . . .

BK
    Same thing as sears as far as I'm concerned.
    Dewayne
    Dixieland Welding

MM350P
    Lincoln 100
    Some torches
    Other misc. tools

Quote Originally Posted by jetenginedoctor View Post
    Rant off. BK
    "Rant off" ain't happening in my lifetime.

Craig in Denver
    9-11-2001......We Will Never Forget

Retired desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250

I had to end the rant or I'd be up all night. . . . . the rant can be turned on again at will as I have plenty of Sears stories.

I have a Craftsman 3/8" ratchet I bought new about when the socket quick-release button was introduced. The button was made of zinc and finally broke; I thought about returning the tool, but decided to fix it myself. Now I'm probably the only person in the country who has that model ratchet with a shiny, well worn brass button!

I have a lot of Craftsman tools and have had very few problems. I have never had a problem with warranty service either. The only problems in years was with a 4 1/2" grinder and a cordless drill. Brushes wore out on the grinder and the switch failed on the drill. Both were in warranty. Took them in and and they handed me a new one right then. The only Craftsman wrench I've ever managed to break was a long 1/2" drive ratchet handle long ago and I also broke the replacement. All my ratchet handles now are Proto and Snap-On.

I bought a set of Harbor Freight metric deep impact sockets a few years ago. Dumb I know, but I didn't intend to use them much. After rotating the tires on my 3/4 ton Chevy a couple of times that socket resembled a funnel and was worthless. I guess you could say it was worthless when I bought it. I went down to Sears and replaced it. I told the salesman about the HF one and he told me, "If that one does that, you bring it back and I'll replace it". I haven't had to take it back.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe H View Post

I say screw craftsman and sears.Name:  butt.gif
Views: 1257
Size:  2.0 KB
    That is how I feel. Quality and service has gone down the toilet after kmart bought out sears..

I call Sears tools, "crapsman"
    Millermatic Passport Plus
    Millermatic 200

Millermatic 350P with Python
    XMT 304 /w S-64 feeder and 12RC
    Dynasty 300 DX
    Victor O/A
    Premier Power Welder for my trail junk.

Best tape measures made are the plain old silver cased Stanley.The 25 or 30 foot models.The "heavy duty" tapes such as the Fat Max etc dont have alot of room in them for dirt,debris cause the blades are so big.This comes from personal experience.Ive had one 30 ' Stanley for 4 yrs now.Fat Maxs usually last me maybe a month and ive owned 2 Craftsman tapes in my life 1 lasted a day and the other one a week.I bought a 40' Husky here a while back,it has never been out of the house pulled it out about 12 feet the first time,wont reel back in.My tapes get puuled out in muddy ditches every day and the old Stanley is the only tape that will last

Sears returns-I was working in Iowa back in 02.Down in a ditch full of water and ice it was around 5 degrees.I had 2 1/2" drive ratchets down there with me and they got full of water.Well we got done with the pipe and i set them up on the bank and went to doin something else.They froze up solid.Well i took them inside the building and set them on top of a salamander heater we had going.I had never really noticed that the selector levers were plastic...until i went back to get them and the levers were gone.Sears woulndnt replace them.Ive got 3 other stripped Craftsman ratchets here at the house.Sears can kiss the fattest part of my ***.

Okay, so here's how you deal with the problem of Sears not wanting to exchange/repair your defective tools:

In order for this to work, you need to go to the store with your wife, your kids, your girlfriend, your Mom, Grandma, anyone you can. If you don't have these available, borrow your friend's wife and kids, etc. I'm not joking. Make sure they can keep a straight face because there needs to be some eye contact at least with an adult woman (the real money spender) with a member of management to make this thing fly.

So you take your tool to the tool department while the lady(s) are shopping, hopefully gathering a number of things in a cart, their arms, whatever. You need to demonstrate that you're a paying customer, not just some guy trying to scrounge a new tool for his broken turd. You make your request that your broken/defective tool be replaced or repaired. Hopefully, they do it and the rest of the operation is unnecessary. If they refuse, you ask them to take you to their manager, preferably the store manager. Now as you do this, you need to make sure your lady(s) and kids, whatever are in view or can be called over. You make your case with the store manager in front of the associate and whatever other customers are there, and speak loud enough to be heard clearly without shouting. Let them know that the tools you are asking to have repaired or replaced were purchased new by yourself with a lifetime warranty, and you demand that Sears fulfills their OBLIGATION to honor the warranty. If they still refuse, you call the family over. You let them know that your wife buys a lot of clothes, household goods, jewelry (even if it's all lies, you have to stress that she buys this stuff, especially jewelry and electronics) in that store. If there's kids, remind the manager that kids go through a lot of clothes and buy a lot of games, stuff like that. Paint "the big picture" for the manager so he is reminded about how much money you and/or the family spend in his/her store. Make the point that the few dollars that you're asking they be willing to eat in honoring THEIR warranty on the tools is NOTHING compared to all the hundreds or thousands of dollars your family spends of YOUR money in that store each year. Also remind them that you have bought HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of dollars worth of their tools, and that this is just one small issue that you've had after buying all this stuff. Try to minimize their sense of what they have to give up and maximize their sense of what they have gained by having you as a customer.

If after some of this their perspective doesn't change, remind them that there are a lot of people who buy clothes, wear them once (with the tags still left on) and return them. Remind them about shoplifting. Remind them about people suing for workplace related injuries. Remind them that even the smallest of these things costs them a lot less than replacing a defective/broken tool under the warranty that THEY SOLD THE PRODUCT WITH. Remind them that you're a valuable customer that they don't want to lose. If all that fails, you tell your wife that you're going to go home and find reciepts for everything you've bought in recent history from Sears, and you're going to return it. By this time, if there are people in range of hearing, your problem should be resolved. They don't need the scene. They'll fix it for you.

BK

Its because of people like me who exchange tools that I buy at garage sales and pawn shops. I used to hit the bins once a week and buy sockets and ratchets for like a quarter and $2 then take them into sears and exchange them. When I had a full set i would sell them off and make a heck of a profit. They started giving me a hastle when i came in to exchange stuff a few years ago. Whether it was just a rusty socket or a stripped ratchet I always left with something new. They now have a sign that states exchanges must be occompanied by original receipt. Who has a receipt for a socket they bought 10 years ago. Ive since switched to snap on which is really no better anynmore.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Never judge a man by the colors of his skin

i buy matco
    weldpack 3200 squirtgun
    precision tig 225 with cart
    prostar o/a setup with full size bottles

Its because of people like me who exchange tools that I buy at garage sales and pawn shops. I used to hit the bins once a week and buy sockets and ratchets for like a quarter and $2 then take them into sears and exchange them. When I had a full set i would sell them off and make a heck of a profit. They started giving me a hastle when i came in to exchange stuff a few years ago. Whether it was just a rusty socket or a stripped ratchet I always left with something new. They now have a sign that states exchanges must be occompanied by original receipt. Who has a receipt for a socket they bought 10 years ago. Ive since switched to snap on which is really no better anynmore.
    At least in part, it's probably because of people who abuse the system like this, that good companies have a hard time keeping good written warranties anymore.

Thanks for ruining it for the rest of us. DIAF.