TIG question with a Miller Trailblazer 302?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

Smile TIG question with a Miller Trailblazer 302?

I’m wanting to buy a Miller Trailblazer 302.

If I want to TIG (aluminum or whatever ?), will I still need to buy the High Frequency also? I am thinking the new “Lift Arc” on this machine eliminates the need for the high frequency? Is this correct???

Do I need to buy a high frequency box too or just the torch and a bottle?

What do I need to TIG with this machine?

Thank you all in advance.

Tim

Re: TIG question with a Miller Trailblazer 302?

The TB is only 120 Hz for AC welding current.

Lift-Arc is just so you don't need HF for starting the arc, which is even useful when welding steel.

Most will either get the HF-251-D HF box, if they need the full output for welding aluminum, or they will just plug a Dynasty into the TB's auxiliary power.

You'll just need the HF-251 for AC...the lift arc works very well for DC. I use it all the time on mine. I don't have a HF-251 so all I do is DC.

For DC all you need is the bottle, a torch with a valve and whatever else is needed to adapt your torch to the machine/gas connection. I just made a jumper that will comvert my Tweco quick connects to a Dinse connector and got a Dinse connector with a gas hose for mine. I added a quick connect to my gas hose and made everything nice and simple......unless you drive off and leave the @#*&%^$ jumper sitting in the shop.
    QamuIs Heg qaq law' lorvIs yInqaq puS

Don't forget he could drop the HF box and just DC aluminum

If you really, really want to Tig aluminum, then You'll need a HF box, for your TB 302. Now for all intensive purposes, most guys I know if Spool Aluminum with a 30A.

If you don't plan on Tigging Aluminum, then the Lincoln 305G is a way better machine to go to,
    And you can still Spool Aluminum in CV mode with the on board Chopper module for a really smooth arc.. I have an install kit for the Lincolns to run the Miller 30A guns, (Really hate the Lincoln version of spool guns)

If you give up the idea of aluminum tig, you can save several hundred dollars on the DC version of the Trailblazer - 275 DC. Still has the same AC power generator. PM for info. weldersales

TB275 sacrifices too much in power, IMO. The 302 is rated at 300a for DC-CC processes, but 325a for DC-CV. For wire, that is quite a bit more oomph. The 275 is a straight 275a across the board. The 302 makes way more sense if you want a true multiprocess machine with the most bang for the buck. 50a for a few hundred clams is well worth it if wire performance is a must.

FWIW, I have had my 302 up over 360a in CV. It will spray with .045 wire and C-8 very nicely.
    QamuIs Heg qaq law' lorvIs yInqaq puS

Thank you all for the replys

Tim