How many AMPs does stick welder draw?
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

How many AMPs does stick welder draw?

I have a Lincoln AC/DC 225/125 "Tombstone" welder. I have it connected to a 50A circuit and everything works fine. Does anyone know what the actual AMPs draw of this unit is at various settings?

I need to weld some relatively thin material ( < 1/8" ) that is out of reach of where my welder is. However, I do have a Honda EU6500is generator that can handle 30 AMPs at 220V.

Is there any way that I can determine if this generator can power the welder with the welder set at around 90 AMPs DCEN?

I don't want to go to the expense of making up a twist-lock to 6-50R adapter cord only to find out the welder will need more than 25-30 AMPs from the 220 mains to deliver the 90 AMPs of DC welding current.

Thanks!

Re: How many AMPs does stick welder draw?

Well, at 36A for DC at rated output, you are probably good to go for 90A on a 30A outlet. For a simple, tapped 240V stick welder, about 3 Amps out for every Amp in is a ballpark. Let others second this.
    "USMCPOP" First-born son: KIA Iraq 1/26/05
    Syncrowave 250 w/ Coolmate 3
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Victor & Smith O/A torches
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

consult your owners manual,if you don't have one go to the Lincoln site for your model and code, It should tell you how much it will draw at Max.output
    "Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum"

(2)Lincoln 225AC/DC portables, Miller Syncrowave 300, miller sidekick,Lincoln Idealarc 250,Miller 251 Mig, Miller 30A spool gun, Hende lathe, Horizontal bandsaw, pora band ,14FT enclosed trailer.SA200's

That gen set is max rated at 6500, but only continuously rated at 5500 watts. So even though in theory you could get almost 28 amps on 230v power, you won't get it for very long. 5500 watts, would give you a realistic output of almost 24 amps at 230v.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldendum View Post
    Well, at 36A for DC at rated output, you are probably good to go for 90A on a 30A outlet. For a simple, tapped 240V stick welder, about 3 Amps out for every Amp in is a ballpark. Let others second this.

Unfortunately transformer draw isn't linear, so your idea doesn't really work. You won't get the unit to strike an arc even with very small rods below a certain minimum amperage. Transformers also aren't very efficient in changing power. Lots of the energy gets "wasted" as heat.

From experiences I've seen from others who have tried to run transformer machines like this off small gen sets, I'm going to bet it is not going to work. I seriously doubt you will get 90 amps of output. If it does work, you are going to have to run very small rods, probably 1/16" or 5/64" rods. I have run 3/32" rods off a 30 amp dryer breaker in the past. I can't remember exactly where the breaker would trip any more, but 90-100 amps sticks in my mind as a possible top limit when the breaker would trip. You will have maybe 2/3rs of that available under real world conditions.

A better choice would be to go and rent a dedicated small welder genset or small inverter stick machine for the job. My rental place rents a 170 amp DC honda genset welder for $86 a day, and $33 for 2 hours as listed in their catalog on my desk.

Take a moment and add your location to your User CP at the top left. Maybe someone here is local and can help you out or suggest some place you can rent the right machine.
    Last edited by DSW; 02-10-2013 at 08:36 AM.

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

I didn't look at the genset specs. As DSW says, it's probably not enough.
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

its about 18000 watts to run it.

I think you would be fine running it at 90 amps on that generator. Try it and see. What is the worst that can happen?

You could check the draw with an amp meter.

Lincoln used to have this under their FAQ section and pretty much what DSW said

Their recommendation for the Tomstone machines is a 15,000 watt genset.

I have the same genst that you have and it will run all my welders but I don't I have a stick machine to try it on.

If yer near Los Angeles I have the cord though
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.com/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus & Spool gun
    Lincoln SP135 Plus- (Gone to a good home)
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    SO 2020 bender
    Beer in the fridge

Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe
    Wells-Index 745 mill

I appreciate everyone's feedback. I had somehow missed that FAQ when I was browsing the How-To's on Lincoln's website.

Just go to O'Reilly Auto and pick up one of these.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...B00/121GMF.oap
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dialarc 250
    Idealarc 250
    SP-175 +
    TA 161 STL
    Lincwelder AC180C (1952)
    Miller spot welder
    Clausing 5904 lathe