some cwi questions
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

some cwi questions

Hey I am a 24 year old Iron worker/ fitter in south east pa. My work just decided about a month ago to send me to the week long class in the second week in november for the CWI course. The exam following the day after. I have been asking for books to study with not really any help from them. The class schedule is 3 days general review 1 day d1.1 code clinic and 1 day hands on clinic. I am a certified welder not sure if that will help at all. What am I looking at, most things I have read so far people have studied for months and barley passed. I have 2 weeks till the class. Please help, what am I in for???

Re: some cwi questions

Hello whiteyz.

I have never taken one of the prep classes for the exam to say if they have everything you need. I think some core knowledge in various areas will make the class more valuable.

AWS has information regarding the body of knowledge at http://files.aws.org/certification/C...m_only_pkg.pdf . In addition study materials are listed.

If you havent studied any of the body of knowleddge material in the past then 2 weeks plus a class would not be enough time to get ready. If you have taken classes or studied on your own then you may or may not have any problems. It really depends upon your current level of knowledge and experience.

One thing you and your employer need to be aware of is the experience requirements for becoming certified. Being certified as a welder has no bearing on becoming a CWI. Experience as a welder (certified or not) may fulfill some of the requirements. You can look at the application and QC standards to see if you meet the requirements.

Read this thread:
    http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=19490

Post #4 (by me) includes a link to a copy of a simulated exam, it will give you an idea of some of the questions.

not sounding good. I have been working with steel for just alittle over 4 years. Where would I find the requirements to be able to qualify to become a cwi? I am thinking that that is prolly not enough. I may go into work tomorrow and even if I do meet the requirements try and get out of the class and test and sign up for a date a couple months down the road.

if you are lacking years and experience then they will give you a CAWI.thats a certified associate welding inspector and you will get your cwi when you gain the experience. Thats assuming that you pass. AWS says that they have a 40% passing rate.

Good luck and hope this helps.
    Kroeker

Miller Trailblazer 302
    Miller Dial Arc
    Miller Suitcase 12RC

Victor Torch