*anodized Alu Tig Weld Pics*
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

*anodized Alu Tig Weld Pics*

OK LET ME HAVE ITLOL FIRST 4 ON A TOWER/LAST ON A NEW MILL STOCK GANGWAY SIDE RAILName:  weld1.jpg
Views: 1195
Size:  5.1 KB

Name:  weld2.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  5.6 KB

Name:  weld3.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  4.8 KB

Name:  weld4.jpg
Views: 1197

Name:  weld5.jpg
Views: 1198

Re: *anodized Alu Tig Weld Pics*

Hello from the U.K.
    Pic's are great,lovely job.As a new man to tig can we have some details please, Thickness,amps,pulse or not,gas etc,
    Thank you Gordon.

Very nice.
    Just curious on the first pic, how thick the tube might be
    weld it like you own it

Your welds look so awesome they make me feel like a complete hack (oh, wait - maybe that's because I really AM a complete hack!)

I'd also like to know more technical details. Alloy? Filler? Amps? Pulser, pedal shots, or are you just that good without tricks?

Obviously your hands are very steady.

Reminds me of an old PK Ripper BMX frame (that's what started me off on this crazy journey so many years ago as a kid!)

Awesome work!

Quote Originally Posted by 510rob View Post
    Your welds look so awesome they make me feel like a complete hack (oh, wait - maybe that's because I really AM a complete hack!)

I'd also like to know more technical details. Alloy? Filler? Amps? Pulser, pedal shots, or are you just that good without tricks?

Obviously your hands are very steady.

Reminds me of an old PK Ripper BMX frame (that's what started me off on this crazy journey so many years ago as a kid!)

Awesome work!
    Rob, you're making me feel old with that one.... And Ark-tek, didn't anyone tell you you can't weld anodized aluminum?? Good looking stuff. What was the arc frequency set at, and wave balance? Thanks, Paul.
    And then, after so much work...... you have it in your hand, and you look over to your side...... and the runner has run off. Leaving you holding the prize, wondering when the runner will return.

Looks good to me. I worked t a tower plant for years, but they were a bit more focused on quantity than quality.

hey guys. i own several machines. 2 dynasy dx 200's/ dynasty 300/millermatic 251/trailblazer 304 w coolmate 4 and hf 251..oh almost forgot.....my thermal arc 185..thats what did the welds pictured. amps are set at 130/145..i use 75/25 mix helium/argon helium is the 25%. i am set at 80/30 on freq/bal. i also use a on /off switch finger control. i pulse the weld myself.

oh almost forgot. for those of you using the dynasty. 90/40 on freq/bal....and gordon. pipe is sched 40 approx 1/8 up to 1/4 inch..hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by arc-tek marine View Post
    oh almost forgot. for those of you using the dynasty. 90/40 on freq/bal....and gordon. pipe is sched 40 approx 1/8 up to 1/4 inch..hope this helps
    and red tungsten

Also. The Dynasty Will Seem Hard To Start Using The Helium Mix. But It Will.

Thank you so much for the reply,
    I am just starting to learn tig in my retirement, Got the Lincoln V205-t inverter,Will play with settings around your recomendations i'm quite sure the machine will be fine only let down by the nut behind the torch,
    Many thanks once again. Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by gordon stephenson View Post
    Thank you so much for the reply,
    I am just starting to learn tig in my retirement, Got the Lincoln V205-t inverter,Will play with settings around your recomendations i'm quite sure the machine will be fine only let down by the nut behind the torch,
    Many thanks once again. Gordon.
    Do keep in mind that these settings are for anodixed aluminum only. If you remove the anodizing, or the material isn't anodized, there are other settings that will be better suited.

Hobby guy question for clarification:
    Am I reading this right, you're doing those welds with an 'on / off button'? One hit per ripple, no pedal?

If so, would anyone use this for bare alum? Like out of position, where a pedal won't work? Or would you use a east / west type variable control? I guess that some guys can use anything, anywhere. It's why I'm 61 and taking TIG classes.
    9-11-2001......We Will Never Forget

Retired desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Quote Originally Posted by Craig in Denver View Post
    Hobby guy question for clarification:
    Am I reading this right, you're doing those welds with an 'on / off button'? One hit per ripple, no pedal?
    That is the most common technique for welding anodized aluminum.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig in Denver View Post
    If so, would anyone use this for bare alum? Like out of position, where a pedal won't work? Or would you use a east / west type variable control? I guess that some guys can use anything, anywhere. It's why I'm 61 and taking TIG classes.
    The push button is handy at times because you can somewhat control your heat input by the amount of time you hold the button down, and the pause between bumps. That said, a person may use that technique sometime for regular aluminum. It can be done, but isn't the best way to do it.

The push button is handy at times because you can somewhat control your heat input by the amount of time you hold the button down, and the pause between bumps.

Engloid:

Well stated, another light went on. Sometime in the future, one of my goals is to learn; bzzzt... bzzzt... bzzzt...

I'm pedal dependant at this time, but I've seen guys in class walking the cup, never plugging in the pedal (pipe, not alum).
    Thanks, Craig
    Last edited by Craig in Denver; 10-29-2008 at 11:15 PM.
    9-11-2001......We Will Never Forget

Retired desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250

Quote Originally Posted by Engloid View Post
    That is the most common technique for welding anodized aluminum.

The push button is handy at times because you can somewhat control your heat input by the amount of time you hold the button down, and the pause between bumps. That said, a person may use that technique sometime for regular aluminum. It can be done, but isn't the best way to do it.
    push button designed for a bump weld. needed in the type of work im doing. remember, most of the time im on a ladder/or my back/up on a boat/hanging upside down. a foot pedal would not work. it also works great for mill stock welding. jim

Great information for my "future" Aluminum welding. As for now I am just trying to get consistant sitting at a bench welding coupons.

Question: Don't you get corrosion at the point the anodizing is burnt off (especially in salt air)??

Thanks,

Tim
    A rich man is not the one who has the most but instead one who needs the
    least
    Retired IUEC local 19
    AK Bush pilot,
    Chaplain CMA Chapt 26
    victor torches
    Miller110v mig
    Dynasty 200dx (new in Dec 08)
    Hypertherm PM-45
    MM-252 (new 2/09)

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrachop View Post
    Great information for my "future" Aluminum welding. As for now I am just trying to get consistant sitting at a bench welding coupons.

Question: Don't you get corrosion at the point the anodizing is burnt off (especially in salt air)??

Thanks,

Tim
    Sometimes, you paint over the welds with some chrome paint, or clear epoxy paint. It's really not too much of a problem. Some guys will wax the welds to keep saltwater from getting them too fast.

I am not the biggest fan of anodized aluminum in the ocean. With electrolosys, you get some pitting on the aluminum within a few years. And then, you have to sand and paint it, or start chasing out the crap. Endless pain in the butt. But with steady waxing, and good electrical grounds, it will last for years.
    And then, after so much work...... you have it in your hand, and you look over to your side...... and the runner has run off. Leaving you holding the prize, wondering when the runner will return.

arc-tec,

Nice looking beads. Nice work overall.

Did you ever build any towers for the old Northeast Yacht Sales (Ed Zuchowski)? They later became Northeast Blackfin.

I sold one of their 38' Combi's which had had the tower installed somewhere in CT. I think it was a '95 model year. Tower would have been installed around Sept, 1994.
    Syncro 250 DX
    Dynasty 200 DX
    MM 251 w/30A SG
    XMT 304 w/714 Feeder & Optima Pulser
    HH187
    Dialarc 250 AC/DC
    Hypertherm PM 1250
    Smith, Harris, Victor O/A
    Smith and Thermco Gas Mixers
    Access to a full fab shop with CNC Plasma, Water Jet, etc.