sand blaster for trailer
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us

sand blaster for trailer

I just got an ole popup to convert to a utility trailer. I would like to clean the frame off. It isn't to bad mostly surface rust. What sandblaster should I get and what kind of sand or abrasive should I use? I have a 20 gal compressor that is old but works pretty well. I am concerned about a very small stream of abrasive that will take me a week to do the trailer.

Any help will be appreciated. I was thinkin about a presurized unit. If I buy one of these things will they clean the frame in a reasonable amount of time? i need to get this thing cleaned asap.

Thanks for the help
    Gary

Souderton, Pa.

I'd say that the compressor is definitely on the low side. I have a 5 h.p. two-stage compressor and an 80 gallon tank. It cycles on and off pretty frequently while I'm sand blasting.

A pressure blaster would be your best bet. Best advice is to check out a few units and see what the recommended pressure/c.f.m. ratings are for the one that you want.

Yeah i think your right. My compressor is normaly fine for my normal stuff but by no means recovers very fast. I have to wait to take the lug nuts off the truck. I was lookin at the HF ones and they require 6cfm minimum@125. My die grinder only pulls 4cfm and I have to wait for it. Maybe the best bet is to wire brush it off. It really isn't bad just surface rust.

Now i have to figure how to lift the bed on the trailer so as to get a flat bed all the way across.

Ok thanks I'll go to plan B
    Gary

Souderton, Pa.

I have the HF pressurized sandblast unit, and it works great, but does require a lot of air. I have a 5hp Craftsman compressor, and need to take a break every 3-5 minutes for it to catch up. I think it is rated at 6cfm@125 lbs.

I feel a little better now!

My 5 h.p. Quincy compressor cycles about every ten minutes, but it does stay ahead of the blaster - don't have to wait for it to catch up.