Junk propane tanks
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Junk propane tanks

Novel uses for old propane tanks?
    Franz’s recycling of a propane tank for oil extraction got me thinking? Outside of useless junk sculptures of my sister in law, what else can a discarded tank be used for?

south GA where its hot in summer and cold in winter

Re: Junk propane tanks

Barbecue grill of course. or a cow trough when cut in half. A fuel tank for diesel, Or a container for your own attempt at splitting the atom.
    Welders:
    Esab Migmaster 250
    Penncraft 230 (oldy but goody)
    HF Plasma 30 (Italian)
    Lincoln Ranger 8
    Smith Oxy/Acetylene/Propane
    Lincoln SA200
    Everlast Power Tig 250 EX
    Everlast PowerUltra 205

Here's one use.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpMS15kJyOY[/ame]
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & NKJV Bible

Danny

I have never tried it but a friend of mine says there's an adapter that you can put on those used propane tanks that will turn them into great portable air tanks for filling tires.
    Co-Own CNC shop:Miller :1251 plasma cutter, MaxStar 700 TIG/Stick, & XMT 456 Multiprocess Welder.& 2 Hypertherm HPR260's Plasma Cutter

Sorry I had a bad stroke but now I am back.

Propane tanks do not make good air tanks. Please do not go that route.
    Lincoln Power Mig 350MP Ready Pak
    Lincoln Precision TIG 275 Ready Pak
    Lincoln WeldPak 100
    CK TIG TORCH gas diffuser and pyrex cup
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 101
    A stout 15 yr old son to help!!

But they can be safely used as vacuum tanks for a vacuum bagging system (when working with composite parts).

There was a posting here with a self-made sand blaster out of a decommissioned propane tank.

Holger

Why arent they safe as air tanks? they are 120 psi tanks and Im not sure but I would think they would have at least a 5 to 1 safety rating and they are heavier built than 175 psi air compressor tanks. I have cut both up when I was working for a scrapper they are almost double the wall thickness.

I just thought about it the best use for them is pull the nozzle out put about 2 gallons of diesel in them put the nozzle back in then fill them with o a gas and shoot them with a tracer round

Here's a neat use: [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvPL7KC1DEA[/ame]

Really Large Spitoons

Main problem as an air tank is the lack of a drain valve. (Most folks won't think to turn it over and drain it). I think that's why you see a big warning on portable air tanks to dispose of them after a few years. Water, rust.
    "Any day above ground is a good day"

Hey Bill????

Is that a golf club stickin' outta that poor cat's butt, or is it his tail

We Scrap out a bunch of them from the store.. they do make good air tanks for low pressure uses.. most of them are rated to 350psi.. There is the problem with the drain as posted above.... if you are a decent welder you can put a 1/4 npt fitting in the bottom though and add a petcock drain pretty easily.. Your local welding supply store should have the stem and nipple to fit the tank CGA 510.. One the outlet end of the stem is 1/4 npt.. from there it can be tied to almost anything.. If nothing else there is almost 1lb of yellow brass in the valve on top of the tank.. I think the neck of the tank is 3/4 pipe. Check the manufacturer date on the neck ring if its older than 12yrs from when it was made it has to be re-certified to be put back into use for propane. This can be done by most propane dealers.. If it has an older non OPD valve it can be changed over to OPD.. A 20lb opd valve is about $15 right now.. Thats still cheaper than buying a new tank if its in good shape.. I kinda like the sculpture Ideas though..
    Carl

Quote Originally Posted by farmersamm View Post
    Hey Bill????

Is that a golf club stickin' outta that poor cat's butt, or is it his tail
    It is supposed to be his tail. He is Eugen the Jeep, a character from the old "Pop-Eye" cartoons. I think circa 1955???

Recently at a convenience store, I saw 20# retail propane tanks that were not metal, they looked like spun fiberglass, you could see the liquid fuel through the tank.

Suggestion in post #8 should definitely be skipped.

The "Myth Busters's" TV show did a similar fire-ball experiment but with 500lbs of coffee creamer and a very large amount of compressed air for atomization. It produced a huge fire ball that scarred the living willies out of the mad scientist.

That reminds me of the time I lighted my BBQ grill with lacquer thinner. BTDT...never again....

I have seen the composite propane tanks advertised in boating magazines for a few months. There is obviously an advantage in being able to see the level in the tank but I wonder if there is also a significant weight reduction. Anyone out there used one of these tanks.

they make a nice hydraulic tank for diy log splitters.

I have used 5 and 10 gallon tanks for air tanks, for vacuum and for holding diesel fuel, in addition to making things of them. Sometimes the residual odorant is very strong, but that I won't discuss here. For old tanks, sometimes the valves can be very tight so I have often used some heat to loosen any sealer, sometimes use 'gentle' pounding of a ball peen hammer on the steel fitting the thread screws into, and now always use the wrench below with a 3/4" impact wrench. Before using the heat and peening, I successfully twisted the top of a couple valves off of their lower threaded parts. No pictures of that. FWIW, the wrench was a temporary, quick and dirty assembly of scrap parts except for the top socket which was milled; I don't have a punch like Denrep does. BTW, the handle must be removed before using the wrench.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

I got around to doing one 100 lb'er this weekend. Going to make a lawn roller out of it.

Dan
    My instructor said someone will catch on fire during class...He wasn't joking!!

Quote Originally Posted by Oldiron2 View Post
    I have used 5 and 10 gallon tanks for air tanks, for vacuum and for holding diesel fuel, in addition to making things of them. Sometimes the residual odorant is very strong, but that I won't discuss here. For old tanks, sometimes the valves can be very tight so I have often used some heat to loosen any sealer, sometimes use 'gentle' pounding of a ball peen hammer on the steel fitting the thread screws into, and now always use the wrench below with a 3/4" impact wrench. Before using the heat and peening, I successfully twisted the top of a couple valves off of their lower threaded parts. No pictures of that. FWIW, the wrench was a temporary, quick and dirty assembly of scrap parts except for the top socket which was milled; I don't have a punch like Denrep does. BTW, the handle must be removed before using the wrench.
    OK, so how much air pressure have you put into those that you have used for air pressure?
    City of L.A. Structural; Manual & Semi-Automatic;
    "Surely there is a mine for silver, and a place where gold is refined. Iron is taken from the earth, and copper is smelted from ore."
    Job 28:1,2

Lincoln, Miller, Victor & NKJV Bible

Danny

Caution
    There was a recent article in the news about inappropriate use of consumer propane tanks for storing anhydrous ammonia. Crack manufactures have discovered that propane tanks make handy storage containers for ammonia. The ammonia attacks and dangerously weakens the brass valve. Sometimes these tanks will find there way back into circulation and be refilled. The presence green corrosion on the valve is the indicator of inappropriate use. By all means get your family away from the tank and call the fire department.

OK, so how much air pressure have you put into those that you have used for air pressure?
    I have a couple which I use for filling tires and such, that I fill to about 125 psi. They have been properly checked and are in good shape. I also have some of the old banded oxygen tanks from WWII which are still good.
    I used to get tanks which were turned in to a toxic waste recycling program; many still had fuel in them, which I of course used.

If you do not like using them for lawn ornaments you can find some people who like playing at knights - People like Society of Creative Anachronisms (SCA) or the Markland Medieval Mercenaries. They take the appropriate sized tanks and make helmets out of them (Honest - seen it done). They pad the inside with foam and cut slits to see and breathe through and then decorate them. Then they wear them when they whack at each other with padded sticks. Once one of these people take the propane tank from you it is gone - and they might send their friends to you for another one.

Quote Originally Posted by jayjayem View Post
    If you do not like using them for lawn ornaments you can find some people who like playing at knights - People like Society of Creative Anachronisms (SCA) or the Markland Medieval Mercenaries. They take the appropriate sized tanks and make helmets out of them (Honest - seen it done). They pad the inside with foam and cut slits to see and breathe through and then decorate them. Then they wear them when they whack at each other with padded sticks. Once one of these people take the propane tank from you it is gone - and they might send their friends to you for another one.
    Gives new meanin' to the term: Gettin' your bell rung

Here is the link to my propane tank sandblaster http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php...ht=sandblaster
    Miller Big 40
    Lincoln SP 125
    Century 20/50 plasma
    He who dieswith the most toys ...Still Dies
    There is room for all Gods creatures .......... Right next to my mashed potatoes