Home made tools! - Page 20
RSS | Subscribe | Contact Us | Advertise | About Us
Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Re: Home made tools!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Young View Post
    Yeah show us how it works.
    I bought one of these from a SEMA exhibitor, very slick tool. Here is their web site with pictures
    http://www.clamptool.com/pages/how2.html
    Cut an MGB and widened 11" C4 Corvette suspension and LT1 Chevrolet power & 6 spd. Pictures here:
    Part 1
    http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
    Part 2
    http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422

I'm hoping that a welding fixture or jig is a tool for the sake of this thread.
    A few years ago I was conversing online with a fellow welder and we discussed how our backs feel different after a day in the shop than they 'used to feel'.

He came up with a jig for making boats that I eventually built to make it possible for me to build boats now. Welding below my knees in the bilge of a skiff or in some contorted positions is not very easy any more. In fact my quality drops too low to allow me to accept those welds so...

I made a jig that would allow me to build skiffs by converting almost every weld to one I could reach and do with some degree of acceptance.

the first one is just 20' long but I was able to build a few skiffs on it including this little rowing dory.

the fixture was lifted at the ends by the overhead fall and then rolled by the same means once the boat and beam are in balance it turned by hand.

Then I needed another one for a little bigger skiff so this one is 30' long.

by rolling the skiff into various positions the welding was much higher quality than if I'd had to weld in all the positions implied.

Need to weld the keel? no problem turn her up on her chine or roll her over, once the boat and beam are roughly centered in the pivot pipe the roll is not only manageable but only takes seconds.

now the topsides are on but I needed to get in for other work, the jig rolled her down on one chine and the stern lockers are at waist level.

hope this is a "tool", I know that not everyone here is building skiffs but the Davis Jig rotisserie would work for car frames or other projects where weld position and access is helpful. And, if you have a few decades of wear and tear on the old welders' frame? well it makes the day a whole lot more interesting when you can still put down some nice work even if you aren't doing it below your knees crawling around on deck stringers like you may have 'some years back'.

Cheers,
    Kevin Morin

Kevin I love your posts. I envy your knowledge of boat building. Great stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Boostinjdm View Post
    It's for tying wire.
    It's an excellent tool for making hose clamps for anything
    with stainless wire. I didn't make one but bought it from here
    I've also used it to make up a big 'wire clamp' to snug up an
    old chair after re-gluing it.

Your homemade version is sweet.

Not my vid but decent instructions on how to use that thing for
    those that asked.

History of A.D.D. and Tourette's
    so if I change the subject
    and I start swearing at you
    don't get offended.

that is great! I have to have one now!

QCTP indicator holder. No problem getting this one on center. It has a 3/4" sweet spot.
    I got a little carried away cutting the slot in the cover. I went a bit farther than the allowed travel. It's on my list of things to fix. The tool functions well though.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

QCTP indicator holder. No problem getting this one on center. It has a 3/4" sweet spot.
    I got a little carried away cutting the slot in the cover. I went a bit farther than the allowed travel. It's on my list of things to fix. The tool functions well though.
    Why'd you have to go and do that? Now I have another project to add to my to do list...

Quote Originally Posted by Fegenbush View Post
    Why'd you have to go and do that? Now I have another project to add to my to do list...
    Cr@p today's full of good projects for the lathe I have to save and remember. Name:  grumble.gif
Views: 13112
Size:  184 Bytes

Thanks Boost...

No government ever voluntarily reduces itself in size. Government programs, once launched, never disappear. Actually, a government bureau is the nearest thing to eternal life we'll ever see on this earth!

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Fegenbush View Post
    Hey, I didn't come up with the idea. I just modified somebody else's to better suit me. There is no height adjustment on this one so I can flip it over and check the face of stuff. I am also thinking of tapping a spot on it so I can mount a flex arm to hold my DTI for more accurate reads.
    My name's not Jim....

Syncrowave 200
    Millermatic 251 w/bottle mod
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Cutmaster 81
    Jet JTM-1 mill
    Jet GH-1340-W3 lathe
    Ellis 1600

This is my home made tool for winding back the pistons of rear brake callipers on typically Volkswagen vehicles.

As you can see its simply an M10 x 100mm bolt, large washer, 2 M10 nuts, piece of 1/8th plate and 2 M6 set screws.

For smaller/larger pistons the washer with nut welded onto it can be unscrewed from the bolt and changed.

This cost me nothing to make really and saved a lot of stress, proper units are typically £10 upwards.

Not pretty but it works!

Thoughts please.

Here's mine for Fords. Half a socket and screwdriver bits.

The 'socket on a stick' is for axle crosspin bolts. Not much room for ratchets in there.

When I was converting to EFI I altered quite a few sockets for sensors, etc.. A local pawn shop has boxes full for a buck each.

Here are a couple internal o-ring insertion tools I made. The top one inserts a #112 (1/2") into the bore 1/2" deep. The bottom one inserts a #114 (5/8") 1/4" deep in the bore. Sure a lot faster than using a pick.

Here is the build thread: http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=168191

Awesome work guys!! Impressive tools
    MM211 w/Spoolmate 100

Quote Originally Posted by bartels_metal_works View Post
    I made a replacement collared bushing for a duMONT Minute Man Broach set I needed to use in a machining class I am taking. Someone lost/stole the 1" bushing which is the one I needed of coarse. Easy enough to make. The one I made is on the left and the 7/8" duMONT bushing is on the right.
    Nice work - looks just as good as the original!

Added to the database at homemadetools.net: http://www.homemadetools.net/dumont-...llared-bushing

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Tensaiteki View Post
    I have a Bridgeport Series 1 CNC mill that I've converted to run with EMC2 and Gecko motor drivers instead of the original obsolete drivers and paper-tape reading control system from 1979.

So I just made one myself with lost foam casting.

Here's the foam pattern (note two pieces of 3/16" steel rod embedded and hot-glued in place):

Normally, I coat my patterns with a thin layer of drywall mud, but this time I decided to go without so I didn't have to wait for it to dry.

Here's the rough aluminum casting after pulling it from the sand:

The finished wrench:

Very cool! Looks a lot like the shock-adjusting spanner for my '69 Triumph.

Added to the database at homemadetools.net: http://www.homemadetools.net/spanner...spindle-collar

Ken

I made one similar out of 1/2" x 3" flat alum bar. Used a 1/4" round rod for the pin. Cut it out on the band saw & then smoothed it out with a 120 grit flap wheel.
    Mark
    I haven't always been a nurse........
    Craftsman 12"x36" Lathe
    Enco G-30B Mill
    Hobart Handler 175
    Century 230 Amp A/C stick welder
    Add a Foot Pedal to a Harbor Freight Chicago Electric 165A DC TIG
    PapaLion's Gate Build

few bits ive made for working on landrovers, and a grinder stand.

1, is grinder stand holds 4x4.5" grinders and a 9"one also holds safety gear and box hols all my discs etc. its made from old overhead projector stand thats on wheels.
    2, is a dif stand to store my spare diffs tidily
    3, is locking bar to hold pinion flange in place whilst undoing pinion nut, made from hold prop shaft and drive shaft ( since pic taken have ground other ring of to make it easier to use).
    4, is an axle stand that goes rd axle tube to make it more stable, mainly use this when off roading.
    5, is a multi stand for various bits at moment its got diff holder on it, when i get more steel will be making axle, engine, gearbox holders for it as well

HMP-200 bender.

I modified the design to allow form it to be all steel (weighs about the same as thick aluminum).

Tube leveling fixture to ensure all bends are in the same plane, or desired change of plane.

Used to make this

Last edited by n20junkie; 11-14-2012 at 12:46 PM.
    Syncrowave 350
    Coolmate 3

Millermatic 251
    Spoolmatic 30A

Quote Originally Posted by n20junkie View Post
    HMP-200 bender.

I modified the design to allow form it to be all steel (weighs about the same as thick aluminum).

Tube leveling fixture to ensure all bends are in the same plane, or desired change of plane.

Used to make this

Sorry, I got sidetracked by your car!! Holy huge twin turbos batman! Your car is gonna fly I bet!
    MM211 w/Spoolmate 100

I love the ride!!!LOVE IT!!!!!!!

This isn't anything fancy, just something I threw together out of necessity. Condensed version, we bought a dumptruck that has been supposedly sitting for 5 years. It's an '88 International, 3406B cat, 9 speed. Story was, motor was rebuilt, previous owner used it less than 6 months, then died. So this guy bought it from dead owners wife (owner was his brother, so he bought it from his sister in law), and used it some in his dirt pit. Supposedly had recently replaced rearends (they do look recently worked on), replaced clutch (I don't think now that tranny and engine had been split in many years), and had turbo rebuilt. It smokes and slobbers oil. His "Cat mechanic" worked on it, and said something didn't seal right in turbo rebuild. I drove it to the shop, about 25 miles, and blew 2 gallons of oil out exhaust. We pull turbo off to change it, and discover the oil is actually coming out of the back 3 cylinders... Luckily, have a spare 3406B sitting in the shop. We pulled the engine, and I've spent the past 3 days switching things over between the 2 engines. Biggest project was the bad motor had Jake brakes on it, good motor didn't. SO i've been switching that over, which brings me to the "specialty tool".

To mount the Jakes, you replace 4 of the head bolts with long studs that act as pedestals to mount the Jakes to. These studs are long enough at the top, that when I put my 1 1/8" deep 3/4" drive impact socket on it, less than 1/4" of the square drive of my breakover or torque wrench fits into the socket. Not something I want to put 340 pounds of torque on... So I dug out this cheap (China) socket, found another beat up 3/4" drive socket, ground the ends down to good clean metal, and welded them together. Makeing an extra deep 1 1/8" socket. Worked perfect.

It's not pretty. First attempt at anything round with my new TIG. I'm not a fan of welding small round objects anyway. I do intend to get more practice at it and get good though. Most round things I've welded have been 4" and larger pipe. Have welded some 2" weld-o-lets on larger pipe, but not much smaller pipe welds. And that has always been with stick. I can see where a postitioner would be priceless for this smaller stuff...

Would this hoe count as a home made tool ?

here's my subframe bushing removal tool
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    www.becmotors.nl
    yup, I quit welding.. joined welder anonymous

This is my SBC engine jig. I tried selling them at one time, there was little interest. But we use it all the time to set up drag cars. All front and back holes are tapped, plus head threads, oil pan mounts, starter pad. In short its a 35 lb version of a SBC that you can mount all your parts to for chassis setup.

Syncrowave 350
    Coolmate 3

Millermatic 251
    Spoolmatic 30A